Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   Road Racing & Rally (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/road-racing-rally/)
-   -   Stl focus racecar (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/road-racing-rally/718825-stl-focus-racecar.html)

msperber 04-03-2017 09:49 PM

Ok so we spent the weekend repairing the damage of a very expensive weekend. One head with every valve bent, and another head that decided to drop a valve into my new motor, goodbye number 4 piston. So with both heads off to the machine shop time to examine the Pistons. Number four has to be replaced, the rest show just the smallest marks on the exhaust side. Emory file and lots of time and they all look better. The number four replaced and bottom end looks good. One head completely repaired by my machine shop. So the rest of the day we remeasured the piston to valve clearances. So much fun, but all look good and within the spec the machine shop wanted and the same as tom. So with the phone ringing to get my butt home I will do the final final final reassembly hopefully this weekend. Then we get to do the fun stuff, data log for tom to put the magic back in.

msperber 05-11-2017 11:35 PM

Ok, update on both cars. New head put on the ITA car. The STL car had to have new brakes as the prior set were past usable for the speeds we see at VIR. Also had to spend 3 hours relocating the seat as what we thought was good just wouldn't work. Off to toms with two cars as I can't afford more screw ups on the motors. On the dyno with the STL car tom leaned out the tune, found almost 10 hp and 8 ft lbs of torque. So the problem car. The ITA car was showing massive amounts of knock anywhere over 3-5 k . What to do, new motor with problems since we fired it up. Lots of data logs and lots of conversation. So we start double checking everything including cam timing. Found exhaust slightly off, but we also replaced cam sensor, crank sensor, o2, injectors, and knock sensor. On the dyno, we had a clean bill of health on the first pull. Time to build power. After a ton of pulls and tom spending a complete day with my two projects, he found a safe place on the dyno, good power and tons of torque. Going to the track directly from his shop.
Race report. ITA car, qualified 3 rd, 10th overall out of 55. Best time for this car, 2:19:4 and I can't qualify for anything. Very pleased. In the race, 5 laps in turning 2:18:9 which I have never done we move to 1st. One lap later I brain fart and spin off. Fast corner and I miss my mark. Start dfl and work my way back to 7th but what a great time. Car runs great and I turned 18:7. Dam. Sun race great qualifier with a 2:19:2. 5 th in class. Have a killer start and get to 2nd with a little body damage from rubbing is racing. Three laps to go I make a crazy pass to go into first for about 100ft until I get punted off going into turn one. Back on track up to 3rd. Protest and moved to 2nd, great run and the motor pulls like a train.
STL car had good power and easily the best brakes I have had in a long time. Qualified on the pole and improved 2 sec from March. Toms power and torque. Quiet race we won and improved to 2:21.3. Really pleased. Sunday race good qualifer at 2:21:4. Both cars are really becoming easier to drive faster sooner. Great race with an intregra we finished 2nd only due to a full course yellow as we just past for first we went 2:20.3. So a great weekend but without toms help I never would have been able to improve as much and without any problems. Thanks to my buddy pat and to toms great tuning we improved both cars a ton and set personal bests after 6 years of running at VIR. Toms performance beginning to create lots of conversation at the track, miatas look out.

msperber 05-21-2017 10:40 AM

STL car

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of the car before I mess it up

msperber 05-21-2017 08:24 PM

The ITA car

1 Attachment(s)
Running well for a change

slow_solo_focus 05-22-2017 01:29 AM

Ah, finally get a glimpse of the car(s) nice

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BD using FF Mobile

sailor 05-22-2017 02:32 AM

The Miata Gang must hate you.

Keep up the good work!

msperber 05-22-2017 11:57 PM

Thanks, but posting is due to my kid finally helping, see cause he just got his license and to get the keys to a car he has to help dad post stuff, gotta love the power of age has.

msperber 06-05-2017 09:09 PM

ITA flyer

1 Attachment(s)
So we took both cars to the track, a really careless it7 driver with no awareness decided to go left into me sending me off track into the tire wall backwards, launching me into the trees, landing on my roof. Upside down for 5 min until they decided to roll me onto four tires, so how much damage will be determined this week

felixthecat 06-05-2017 09:15 PM

Ouch, thats not good.....bummer to see this.

Viper 00 06-05-2017 09:55 PM

Sorry to see that, but with a couple of panels and a little sheet metal work I bet it will fix.

Pappy (Viper00)