Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   Road Racing & Rally (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/road-racing-rally/)
-   -   First HPDE (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/road-racing-rally/610945-first-hpde.html)

Magus2727 10-02-2015 10:21 AM

First HPDE

I am doing my first NASA HPDE 1 in October on the 24th at Miller Motorsports Park.

Just got my inspection done and passed with no issue on my car.

I have read up on general things to do. Are there any Focus specifics I should look at?

I am doing an oil change here shortly on my car so will have fresh oil. I am thinking of bleeding my brakes. I have DOT 4 in there right now. My rebuild was at 160k and am at 184k miles. the fluid is still clear, should I do a flush before? I was thinking of doing one after the event if not before.

Any other fluids I need to check specific on the focus, should I change out transmission fluid? (again new at 160k during rebuild).

Have people had problems with overheating or anything else?

sailor 10-02-2015 02:19 PM

Flush brake fluid before track time is good, as are another set of front pads better for the track. (assume decent discs so you can just switch pads, otherwise a new set of rotors as well)

You got the general check over & inspection out of the way, so the most important part is done.

Magus2727 10-02-2015 02:47 PM

I am using Power Slot rotors all around and Hawk HPS pads that have good life on them even though I cant recall when I replaced them it must have been 60k+ miles ago.

So will do a brake flush and oil change. I may try the Motul 5.1 brake fluid.

SVTRSST 10-04-2015 01:35 PM

Check your coolant hoses and clamps!, i was at an event last month and minutes prior getting on grid i noticed one of my clamps (OEM, factory) was not holding the coolant pressure.

Bring a small tool box to the track, our mk1s are not that new and you could need a screwdriver/wrench for a quick fix.

You say your fluid is clear, and you are going to de1, i would just go like that. Mine was black and took the car to a couple of events, in fact the fluid is still there.

acbauza 05-06-2016 09:40 AM

Hawk HPS will fade on you, but if you are a novice they'll be fine. Eventually you'll want another set of rotors and pads. Before EVERY event bleed the brakes. The SVTF has GREAT brakes, so don't stress on them too much. It's the other parts that go bad. Wheel bearings, axles...etc.

brackdriving 06-24-2016 03:21 PM

Agree on both points. Especially for a novice.

Pinarello Rider 11-21-2016 10:54 AM

I had the Hawk HPS pads on my MKIII and they faded BADLY after a good lap at VIR. Went to a Hawk race pad HT-10 and they are awesome. Brakes for days...

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbauza (Post 9769714)
Hawk HPS will fade on you, but if you are a novice they'll be fine. Eventually you'll want another set of rotors and pads. Before EVERY event bleed the brakes. The SVTF has GREAT brakes, so don't stress on them too much. It's the other parts that go bad. Wheel bearings, axles...etc.

Magus2727 11-21-2016 12:05 PM

Thanks I will take a look at those. I just got an SVT so might swap the Hawk HPS over tot he SVT as my DD and put those on my Zetec for racing. I need to get the super hubs though before I race again...

brackdriving 11-21-2016 12:11 PM

A great racing adage is "Brakes slow you down". Its very true. In most cases amature advanced drivers use brakes far too hard and far to often and thus slow themselves down. My suggestion is to have a good instructor be with you to see how your momentum be curtailed as little as possible. The ST is a momentum car and can be made to rotate as opposed to slowed down with brakes. Just my thoughts.

p.s. I do about 12 to 15 track days a year

Ken
Brack Driving Concepts

Bracking Driving

Focus ST (Mk III) with Cobb Intercooler, K&N Typhoon Air Intake, Cobb Accessport V2, Godrich Braided Brake Lines, Stoptec Rotors, Hawk HP10 brake pads, Audi factory racing Brake Fluid, Mishimoto Rad, Eichbach Sport Springs, Continental DW Extreme tires, NGK Race Plugs

Pinarello Rider 11-21-2016 12:30 PM

Thanks Ken - I've got 10 track days behind me and I'm still learning the braking zones. My instructors have been great at getting me to learn how much braking to apply. That being said, my SE is slow enough that I really on "get on" the brakes at a couple of places and autocross pads just didn't cut it.

How do you like your ST? There are a couple of 20156 base model STs near me for <19k and I'm trying to keep myself away from the dealership. I like my SE, and I still have a TON of time to ring out of it, but the idea of not being a moving chicane on the straights is enticing. Anything I need to know about prepping the ST for HPDE 2 outside of new brake pads, rims with dedicated track tires and DOT4 fluid? Any other concerns? It would be my DD as well.

Darin

Quote:

Originally Posted by brackdriving (Post 10300593)
A great racing adage is "Brakes slow you down". Its very true. In most cases amature advanced drivers use brakes far too hard and far to often and thus slow themselves down. My suggestion is to have a good instructor be with you to see how your momentum be curtailed as little as possible. The ST is a momentum car and can be made to rotate as opposed to slowed down with brakes. Just my thoughts.

p.s. I do about 12 to 15 track days a year

Ken
Brack Driving Concepts

Bracking Driving

Focus ST (Mk III) with Cobb Intercooler, K&N Typhoon Air Intake, Cobb Accessport V2, Godrich Braided Brake Lines, Stoptec Rotors, Hawk HP10 brake pads, Audi factory racing Brake Fluid, Mishimoto Rad, Eichbach Sport Springs, Continental DW Extreme tires, NGK Race Plugs