gravel road cornering - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 257337
What I Drive: 2003 silver zx3 5 speed.stock

Points 56, Level 1
Points: 56, Level: 1 Points: 56, Level: 1 Points: 56, Level: 1
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 zx3dave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
gravel road cornering

hello im new to the focus and have a mostly stock 03 zx3. i love going out for a spirited drive on back roads. i was just wondering on average if you are entering a corner on a gravel road and the sign says 20,30 or 40 kph. Is there a general rule for speed you can usually enter the corner over that? any feed back or stories would be cool thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Missed this fun question when posted.

No experience in your locale, but I've learned over time that those signs are fairly consistent within their area of local authority - that means that whatever road authority installed them can be trusted to certain extent to use them in a consistent manner.

So, knowing what areas/road types have different authorities lets you know what to expect.

As a result, you need local info/personal experience to have a good idea what each sign is likely to signify.

Here in the States, most corner signs are about half speed for serious cornering with a car while "10 over" in MPH works for any vehicle. But as noted, there are states where the posted speed is really a max. for general vehicle safety and you can't push it over by much without a clear road and a good car.

So, learn who posts what type of roads then practice to see what rule fits with the car. The signs are still good for a hint, just know how much faster leaves you a margin for variations.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 ZX3, '14 Mustang GT

Points 8,982, Level 63
Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
one of the biggest things for cornering speed on loose roads (gravel, snow, etc) will be tires. without knowing your tires, i couldn't recommend crazy speeds.

Sailor is right though, the signs are meant for all vehicles, RV,s trucks, etc, so cars can generally take them a bit faster.

1 piece of advice, don't drive faster than you can see. Don't cut blind corners, and don't commit too hard to a corner if you cant see the exit, all it would take is 1 decreasing radius at too high speed and you will quickly run out of road and head down a ditch (or worse).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold: '02 Infrared SVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 14,352, Level 77
Points: 14,352, Level: 77 Points: 14,352, Level: 77 Points: 14,352, Level: 77
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 13 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Don't go by signs. Ever. You do NOT know the road surface and how much loose material is there. I've been on gravel roads that might as well have been paved, and gravel roads that felt like driving through a playground with those pebble pits.

Go as fast as your skills and equipment will allow. If you're not sure, start slow and work up to a faster pace.

Also remember that these are public roads and as such other vehicles will be present. Don't hurt anyone else in your quest to go fast.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 09-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
one of the biggest things for cornering speed on loose roads (gravel, snow, etc) will be tires. without knowing your tires, i couldn't recommend crazy speeds.

Sailor is right though, the signs are meant for all vehicles, RV,s trucks, etc, so cars can generally take them a bit faster.

1 piece of advice, don't drive faster than you can see. Don't cut blind corners, and don't commit too hard to a corner if you cant see the exit, all it would take is 1 decreasing radius at too high speed and you will quickly run out of road and head down a ditch (or worse).
Some great hints from thenorm & JoeyWhat.

"Slow in & Fast Out" is good for any unknown road, particularly gravel when the surface is constantly changing.

Dive in slower then you think you could, then as you see/feel conditions and the corner exit you can speed it up as you complete the turn & exit it.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 09-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 14,352, Level 77
Points: 14,352, Level: 77 Points: 14,352, Level: 77 Points: 14,352, Level: 77
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 13 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Also remember that while summer tires are fantastic on pavement, they suck on gravel (especially if there's any precipitation on the ground). You will find that summer tires will offer little grip on any loose surface, and a major issue is that they will grip OK on packed dirt but once you hit gravel it'll be like hitting ice. You must know your equipment and the road conditions well when pushing your vehicle.
Hatch Nation #29

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in