My Rallycross Focus SVT - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #51
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63091
What I Drive: 14' Silver ST, 02 Sonic Blue SVT

Points 1,109, Level 18
Points: 1,109, Level: 18 Points: 1,109, Level: 18 Points: 1,109, Level: 18
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 MattyM3CSL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I had the exact same thing happen to my HFC on the track car. Broke at the exact same spot. I havenít had any issues with the ORP. But I also replace the rubber hangers with poly urethane units where the flex pipe meets the resonator pipe. It made a big difference with eliminating exhaust movement and flex on the header ect.

They look like this
Attached Thumbnails
My Rallycross Focus SVT-71awe6nki5l._sl1500_.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #52
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 ZX3, '14 Mustang GT

Points 8,982, Level 63
Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyM3CSL View Post
I had the exact same thing happen to my HFC on the track car. Broke at the exact same spot. I havenít had any issues with the ORP. But I also replace the rubber hangers with poly urethane units where the flex pipe meets the resonator pipe. It made a big difference with eliminating exhaust movement and flex on the header ect.

They look like this
do you know what size hanger hole the focus uses? i need to pick up some of these.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold: '02 Infrared SVT
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #53
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108959
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVT

Points 603, Level 12
Points: 603, Level: 12 Points: 603, Level: 12 Points: 603, Level: 12
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 SBK86 Good Standing Member
Haha, Matt I just had the same idea to try and help with the exhaust banging around. I ordered new motor mounts and these from CFM:

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...m#.VFqWvzTF_MA

Probably a bit more expensive than the ones you got but should be an easy fit. I'll install them when they come in and update with how everything went (mounts, ORP and the poly hangers).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #54

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

Points 5,596, Level 48
Points: 5,596, Level: 48 Points: 5,596, Level: 48 Points: 5,596, Level: 48
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK86 View Post
Thanks, I got it a few years ago and work on restoring it as I have the time and money. It's a fun project car and a blast to drive. It's also still surprisingly quick for being 40 years old. Original engine, 4speed, SU carburetors.. everything is stock. I've considered putting aftermarket stuff on it for more power or maybe a 5 speed but it's kind of great how it is.

Btw, do you still have racing seats for sale? I think I saw you post on the Facebook Focus parts group a while back with a couple. I'm looking into installing some racing seats in the SVT over the winter.
Yep I still have them.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #55
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63091
What I Drive: 14' Silver ST, 02 Sonic Blue SVT

Points 1,109, Level 18
Points: 1,109, Level: 18 Points: 1,109, Level: 18 Points: 1,109, Level: 18
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 MattyM3CSL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
do you know what size hanger hole the focus uses? i need to pick up some of these.
I used the 2 x 9mm. Found them on amazon. They seemed to work perfectly...

http://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Hanger...+Red+Universal

Quote:
Haha, Matt I just had the same idea to try and help with the exhaust banging around. I ordered new motor mounts and these from CFM:

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...m#.VFqWvzTF_MA

Probably a bit more expensive than the ones you got but should be an easy fit. I'll install them when they come in and update with how everything went (mounts, ORP and the poly hangers).
The CFM exhaust mounts are great. But they are only for the 3 most rear exhaust mounts. The hangers i mentioned are for the front most mounts. Where the flex pipe connection meets the resonator pipe (towards the front of the car). Ideally you will want the 3 CFM mounts plus the 2 (2x9mm) poly hangers.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #56
Focus Enthusiast

Points 603, Level 12
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Sorry, it's been busy with the holidays and I was in Hawaii for most of December for work. Forgot to update this thread again!

I did install all three poly motor mounts and I put on some of the CFM exhaust hangers. I actually ran out of time on doing the rest... I tried to install the 9mm ones from Amazon but could not get them on. Maybe it was because it was below 30 degrees outside but I tried lubing them up with lithium grease and could not get them on. I also verified they were 9mm. I got on two of the CFM exhaust hangers but by this time it was late and I had to leave for Frostburg for racing the next day. As a temporary fix I used some strong zipties to give the existing exhaust hangers more rigidity.

Once I get around to working on those hangers again maybe I'll try warming them up first or try to find a tool to fit in there. I have channel locks.. but couldn't get them to fit. May have to get creative with some c-clamps or just take the exhaust off (I'm thinking about getting an fswerks stealth exhaust anyways).

We had a double header on November 22nd and 23rd. A previous event was cancelled so to get in all the events for the season we had two in one weekend.

The 3 poly mounts were a big help. Previously I was running the 2 front mounts stock and the torque strut mount was the original dogbone with a poly insert. I spoke to a guy that stage rallys a Focus and he recommended going with VF engineering for the front two and a CFM with race bushing on the rear. On the street the vibration and noise is pretty terrible (of course) but when racing the car feels great. Not sure how to describe it really but it definitely feels more like a race car and you feel a lot more connected to the car and how it's behaving. I also inspected the mounts afterwards and didn't notice any damage or wear on them (yet).

Also installed my ORP after breaking the HFC. The car sounds pretty awful with the ORP and stock exhaust. Not just the exhaust noise but a lot of resonating in the cabin but could be just a combination of exhaust and mounts. I'm thinking about getting the fswerks stealth exhaust just for a little better sound.. though then again, race car and I don't plan on driving this on the street that much.

The car has felt the best it has all season.. but still a little more understeer than I want. I haven't bought that rear sway bar mentioned a few posts ago but will get it for the season next year, that should help with those issues.

Saturday went well, probably my best day of the season. I had some of my fastest times and was consistently putting down faster times than a Prepared 2012 STi (we had some friendly rivalry going on and he was surprised to be getting beat by a Focus). Last run of Saturday I knew I was putting down my best time yet.. but got a bit too cocky and took the final corner too fast and went sideways through the gate. I ended up about 15 seconds slower than my other times due to penalties and having to get moving again. If it weren't for that I would have beaten the STi on overall time. Oh well, learning experience! And I still got first for the Modified FWD class by a healthy margin.

Sunday was surprisingly warm for late November and the gravel was more loose. I was actually really sloppy this day and had a lot of cone penalties... The Modified FWD class also had some issues. Two cars dropped out. One had fuel pump issues and the other had a poly motor mount melt(?!). So it was just me and a Mazda 2.

However, there was a bit of a surprise:

A stage rally Focus and Mazda 323 GTR showed up.

Discovery is apparently filming some new show for the Velocity network. I'm not really sure what the show is about... it's another reality show about a guy who owns a car shop or something in Maryland and it's supposed to air next year.

Anyways, the star of the show apparently built this Focus and the film crew wanted some footage of him playing around in the dirt with the 323. They only did a few runs for the camera and it was all kinda prepped for the show. However, they did put down some lap times so I could try to compare. The Focus was pretty quick but my laps were faster. Though it's really hard to compare since he was in a separate run group and the course can change between groups. Also it's his first time running in a rallycross like this.

I really wanted to talk with the guy about the car since it's the only other Focus I've seen in this area but with the film crews constantly around it was impossible. I did get a peak under the hood and he's running VF mounts up front (couldn't see the dogbone), regular zetec engine, aftermarket intake, maybe aftermarket throttle body. Header might have been aftermarket as well but I don't think it was SVT. I couldn't get a good look with everyone around and forgot to take a picture =/.

Anyways, the film crew did film all of us competing that day so it'll be interesting to see how it's all edited for TV. I'll give a heads up when I know when it will air on Velocity.

So that concludes 2014 season. Now I need to work on the car and get it ready for March 2015... a lot of stuff I want to do over the break just need to get out in that cold garage.

On the list:
-new seats
-new shift bushings
-remove AC completely, I took off the compressor but still need to get that condenser out and other bits
-new rear sway bar and bushings all around the rear end
-maybe new exhaust? and fix the exhaust hangers
Old 12-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #57

Fan#: 130386
What I Drive: '00 Autumn Orange SE, '81 El Camino

Points 18,231, Level 85
Points: 18,231, Level: 85 Points: 18,231, Level: 85 Points: 18,231, Level: 85
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 slow_solo_focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Damn, lotta reading. Cool seeing another focus out with you.

How did you finish you 14 season?
Sedan Revolution Member #288
Moderator of Zetec Performance/Brakes, Suspension and Body Chassis/Autocross Racing
Autox'er
Quote:
Don't tempt me. I'd get a harsh talkin too from my lady.
Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NŁrburgring practice:
Old 01-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #58
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 98,157, Level 100
Points: 98,157, Level: 100 Points: 98,157, Level: 100 Points: 98,157, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
Hows the tune doing , wouldnt hurt to do a check to make sure things are safe for 2015

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 01-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #59
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 ZX3, '14 Mustang GT

Points 8,982, Level 63
Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63 Points: 8,982, Level: 63
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 thenorm Great Standing Member
Quote:
S I actually ran out of time on doing the rest... I tried to install the 9mm ones from Amazon but could not get them on. Maybe it was because it was below 30 degrees outside but I tried lubing them up with lithium grease and could not get them on. I also verified they were 9mm. I got on two of the CFM exhaust hangers but by this time it was late and I had to leave for Frostburg for racing the next day. As a temporary fix I used some strong zipties to give the existing exhaust hangers more rigidity.

Once I get around to working on those hangers again maybe I'll try warming them up first or try to find a tool to fit in there. I have channel locks.. but couldn't get them to fit. May have to get creative with some c-clamps or just take the exhaust off (I'm thinking about getting an fswerks stealth exhaust anyways).
put them in a pot of boiling water for a bit. they soften up a bit. then grease.
i did this just last week.
Sold: '02 Infrared SVT
Old 01-05-2015, 07:25 AM   #60
Focus Enthusiast

Points 603, Level 12
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
put them in a pot of boiling water for a bit. they soften up a bit. then grease.
i did this just last week.
Thanks, good idea. I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Hows the tune doing , wouldnt hurt to do a check to make sure things are safe for 2015

Tom
Car is running great at the moment. Thanks for the good service! I'll send you a data log after I'm done getting the car ready for the next season. Maybe you can look it over and see if it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboyles85737 View Post
Damn, lotta reading. Cool seeing another focus out with you.

How did you finish you 14 season?
Let's see... for the 2014 season there were 8 points events and a 2 day National Challenge event.

I ran Prepared FWD for 5 of the points events and got first place for every event; however, PF doesn't have many competitors in this region so for a couple events I got first by default.

I ran Modified FWD for the 3 other points events and the Northeast National Challenge. I got a DNF for one where I broke the motor mount and first place for the other two. Also got first place for the NE National Challenge and was the fastest 2WD car overall.

I got a trophy for National Challenge and Prepared FWD for the season. I think I ended up 5th or 6th for MF in season points since I only finished two events. Next year I should be able to get that 1st place MF trophy; I probably could have won it if I just ran the car in MF from the start but ah well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in