Hello, new to the forum but have lived with my cursed car for over 2 years. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > New Members Check In!

New Members Check In! If you're new to Focus Fanatics, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 407567
Points 11, Level 1
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 MK3LEMON Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hello, new to the forum but have lived with my cursed car for over 2 years.

Hi. I am the owner of a 2013 focus SE hatch with the 5MT. I bought this car back when I was still going to college and wanted something that I thought would be a great commuter vehicle. After much research I landed on the focus. It ticked all the boxes for me, great on gas, fairly spacious, offered a lot of creature comfort options, somewhat fun to drive, and being 3 years old at time of purchase, something I wouldn't have to keep sinking money into. I knew of the DCT issues through my research on different economy cars but figured it didn't matter since I've always driven a standard anyway, so I searched for months trying to find the prefect focus for the perfect price (it was actually pretty difficult to find a 5 speed focus in my area that wasn't an S). Finally I found it. I picked that baby up with 82000 miles for 5500 bucks with the winter package I wanted! Man was I excited. Little did I know at the time this would be the absolute worst vehicle I've ever owned, and this is someone who came from an older WRX (I was young when I bought that and just wanted something with some get up).Within the first heavy rainfall I noticed my first issue, the car leaked water. It came through the rear quarter glass ran down the pillar and seat, and collected in the rear seat tray. This wasn't a huge deal but I was fairly annoyed as I just bought the car. Fixed the leak, then all hell broke loose. Whenever it would rain or was excessively humid out the car would stutter and sputter when you'd touch the gas at all until eventually It would just die and not start again until everything dried up outside. I had it die on the highway at speed, I had to push it out of the middle of an intersection, ect. The car was in and out of the dealership about 10 times for an 8 month period. It spent more time at that point on the back of tow trucks and at the dealership than I had spent driving it. The dealership updated software, replaced fuel sending unit (twice) and secondary pump, fuel pressure sensor, they replaced tons of fuel system parts, and ultimately the entire chassis harness. I had spent 1.75x the value of the car repairing it.After all was said and done the car seems about 80% normal, it still sputters a bit in the rain but just once quick while going up steep hills and it hasn't left me stranded again since, but I still have zero faith in the car and refuse to take it anywhere far. Now the newest electrical gremlin happened, again, in the rain. My wipers sometimes stop in the middle of the windshield and refuse to return to their parking position. It was not pleasant driving on the highway at sunset in the pouring rain and your wipers fail.Finally to wrap it all up nicely I've never seen a vehicle have so much rust on every seam like this car does. It had some rust on the hood seam when I bought it but it was very minor now it is on the hatch seam, driver door seam and rear passenger.To make a long story short, I know my experience is probably unique and doesn't represent all Focus but I've never owned a more unreliable car in my life. I thought I was being smart buying a standard, that I would be fine. I would have been better off with a 1000 dollar shit box. I'm new to the site and I read this is where you introduce yourself and your car, so there ya go, that's her. If you read this whole rant I applaud you, you're a real trooper but this seemed like the perfect place to vent my frustrations.

2013 Focus SE 5MT AKA the rolling dumpster fire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 35,029, Level 100
Points: 35,029, Level: 100 Points: 35,029, Level: 100 Points: 35,029, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 88 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Welcome to FF......Really this could happen to any vehicle.....Condition & miles I'd check out 1st.....Seems like you jumped on the 1st one that came along.....
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
R.I.P....Mr Felix, 5-2-02... 5-24-19
Old 11-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 406377
What I Drive: 04 Focus ZTS Sport, 02 Mustang GT

Points 343, Level 6
Points: 343, Level: 6 Points: 343, Level: 6 Points: 343, Level: 6
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 nephron Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3LEMON View Post
Hi. I am the owner of a 2013 focus SE hatch with the 5MT. I bought this car back when I was still going to college and wanted something that I thought would be a great commuter vehicle. After much research I landed on the focus. It ticked all the boxes for me, great on gas, fairly spacious, offered a lot of creature comfort options, somewhat fun to drive, and being 3 years old at time of purchase, something I wouldn't have to keep sinking money into. I knew of the DCT issues through my research on different economy cars but figured it didn't matter since I've always driven a standard anyway, so I searched for months trying to find the prefect focus for the perfect price (it was actually pretty difficult to find a 5 speed focus in my area that wasn't an S). Finally I found it. I picked that baby up with 82000 miles for 5500 bucks with the winter package I wanted! Man was I excited. Little did I know at the time this would be the absolute worst vehicle I've ever owned, and this is someone who came from an older WRX (I was young when I bought that and just wanted something with some get up).Within the first heavy rainfall I noticed my first issue, the car leaked water. It came through the rear quarter glass ran down the pillar and seat, and collected in the rear seat tray. This wasn't a huge deal but I was fairly annoyed as I just bought the car. Fixed the leak, then all hell broke loose. Whenever it would rain or was excessively humid out the car would stutter and sputter when you'd touch the gas at all until eventually It would just die and not start again until everything dried up outside. I had it die on the highway at speed, I had to push it out of the middle of an intersection, ect. The car was in and out of the dealership about 10 times for an 8 month period. It spent more time at that point on the back of tow trucks and at the dealership than I had spent driving it. The dealership updated software, replaced fuel sending unit (twice) and secondary pump, fuel pressure sensor, they replaced tons of fuel system parts, and ultimately the entire chassis harness. I had spent 1.75x the value of the car repairing it.After all was said and done the car seems about 80% normal, it still sputters a bit in the rain but just once quick while going up steep hills and it hasn't left me stranded again since, but I still have zero faith in the car and refuse to take it anywhere far. Now the newest electrical gremlin happened, again, in the rain. My wipers sometimes stop in the middle of the windshield and refuse to return to their parking position. It was not pleasant driving on the highway at sunset in the pouring rain and your wipers fail.Finally to wrap it all up nicely I've never seen a vehicle have so much rust on every seam like this car does. It had some rust on the hood seam when I bought it but it was very minor now it is on the hatch seam, driver door seam and rear passenger.To make a long story short, I know my experience is probably unique and doesn't represent all Focus but I've never owned a more unreliable car in my life. I thought I was being smart buying a standard, that I would be fine. I would have been better off with a 1000 dollar shit box. I'm new to the site and I read this is where you introduce yourself and your car, so there ya go, that's her. If you read this whole rant I applaud you, you're a real trooper but this seemed like the perfect place to vent my frustrations.

2013 Focus SE 5MT AKA the rolling dumpster fire.
Actually the "perfect place" to vent your frustrations would be on a GM, Mopar etc Forum, you should get a lot of sympathy on one of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 404647
What I Drive: 2007 Focus S, 72 Duster 340

Points 427, Level 8
Points: 427, Level: 8 Points: 427, Level: 8 Points: 427, Level: 8
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 Fourspeed Good Standing Member
Bummer. Was it maybe a flood vehicle?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in