Something doesn't feel right - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358873
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE

Points 416, Level 8
Points: 416, Level: 8 Points: 416, Level: 8 Points: 416, Level: 8
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 42%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%
FF Reputation: 1 FordFailus2016 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Something doesn't feel right

And I can't put my finger on it. The other day I took off from a stop and the car just plain felt like it didn't want to go. I pressed on the gas pedal and the response just seemed off.

Driving around in town today, every time I leave a stop the car feels especially jerky. I don't think it's shudder that I'm feeling. I kinda freaked for a second thinking it was, then realized I was just hearing that stupid rattle the tranny makes when it changes gears. Also, the other week I was cruising around 2k RPM and the car bogged down for a minute then suddenly revved to 3k RPM. It was so weird.

I bought Tom's tune a couple months ago and I'm pretty happy with it. The thing is, I kinda wondered if the tune is masking worn clutches and making it feel jerky to a point that's uncomfortable. To be clear, I'm not blaming the tune. I put 32k on the clutches and my shudder was especially bad last summer.

I'll probably send a datalog to Tom and see what he says. I also think it's possible some type of sensor might be starting to go out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using FF Mobile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 5,911, Level 49
Points: 5,911, Level: 49 Points: 5,911, Level: 49 Points: 5,911, Level: 49
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
I have a Ď13 DCT & shudder is normal on acceleration. Itís been doing this since I bought it in Ď14. And yes, Ford replaced the clutch, new TCM, all the flash updates etc. none of that made any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 05-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 416, Level 8
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 42%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
I have a Ď13 DCT & shudder is normal on acceleration. Itís been doing this since I bought it in Ď14. And yes, Ford replaced the clutch, new TCM, all the flash updates etc. none of that made any difference.

This isn't a shudder. A shudder is when it feels like you're driving over a rumble strip. I'm talking about the shifts just simply feeling jerky on rare occasions, and the rattle noise (which is independent of everything and almost always happens) was pretty noticeable.

People just throw every word in the book to describe shudder for example they say grind, stutter, jerk, buck, slip.

I might try to see if it will shift odd in town one of these days and datalog it. It could be totally normal, but how am I to know what's normal once it's custom tuned? I guess asking Tom is the only way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 5,911, Level 49
Points: 5,911, Level: 49 Points: 5,911, Level: 49 Points: 5,911, Level: 49
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
Something doesn't feel right

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFailus2016 View Post
This isn't a shudder. A shudder is when it feels like you're driving over a rumble strip. I'm talking about the shifts just simply feeling jerky on rare occasions, and the rattle noise (which is independent of everything and almost always happens) was pretty noticeable.

People just throw every word in the book to describe shudder for example they say grind, stutter, jerk, buck, slip.

I might try to see if it will shift odd in town one of these days and datalog it. It could be totally normal, but how am I to know what's normal once it's custom tuned? I guess asking Tom is the only way.

Go ahead & spend $400-500 for a tune & see how that works out for you. In the mean time, Iíll try to find a few more correct terms to describe my sluggish transmission.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 416, Level 8
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 42%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
Go ahead & spend $400-500 for a tune & see how that works out for you. In the mean time, Iíll try to find a few more correct terms to describe my sluggish transmission.

I don't understand, did I say something weird? I'm just saying there is a lot of terms people throw out there and it doesn't help me because as far as I can tell, I don't have a shudder problem. It's just that sometimes it seems like the shifts are extremely abrupt. Like the vehicle is lurching forward. All I'm saying is that's not the same as shudder. Shudder is a sensation in the floor board.

I already have the tune btw.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in