TCM verison update frequency? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 258057
What I Drive: 15 Ruby Red SE

Points 45, Level 1
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 wev567 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
TCM verison update frequency?

Had the clutches and TCM flashed on my 2015 in Feb 2018 at 34k. Been acting up for a while, finally scheduled an appointment at 40k and they flashed the TCM again. The DCT is only slipping 50 rpm per the test, so no need to replace clutches again. Seems to shift better than last winter. So, was there a new version of the software, or did the TCM just forget something from the previous flash?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 6,141, Level 50
Points: 6,141, Level: 50 Points: 6,141, Level: 50 Points: 6,141, Level: 50
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
I canít answer any of your questions, but I can share my experience. My TCM failed on my Ď13 Hatch last summer. I lost all power & reverse. The TCM was obviously replaced however my car drives no better than it did before the replacement. It still shudders constantly & the shifting points are very odd & quirky. So Ford basically just fixed what broke, they didnít improve the drivability of my car.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago & I took it in again for shuddering on acceleration. Their transmission technician agreed & recommenced new clutch packs however Ford wonít cover it under warranty based on the 5yr powertrain warranty expired in Nov. Ď18. They wanted $2,200 out of pocket & my car has only 38k miles. Ford customer service is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 04-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 410021
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus 5 door Titanium

Points 381, Level 7
Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 SupraGuy Good Standing Member
Hmmm. Weird, that my '12 got new clutch packs and TCM under warranty, but then I'm in Canada. The warranty on both had been extended, as well as the transmission input shaft seals. They also replaced the clutch forks as they said they were "rusted and sticking" which was not covered under warranty.

I did not have any notable shudder. Driveability seemed fine to me, until something went "bang" as I was pulling away from a light, and it started shifting worse them my 14 year old daughter the first day I took her out to teach her to drive stick. (In the Supra with a 6 puck racing clutch.) No reverse was an unpleasant surprise when I couldn't back out of the parking space that I'd pulled into to check things, but I could make it go forwards well enough to drive it back to the dealership.

So after all the stuff was replaced, it seems to drive the same to me.

1990 Toyota Supra turbo
I think the cams are still stock...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2019, 03:14 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358873
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE

Points 435, Level 8
Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FordFailus2016 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
I canít answer any of your questions, but I can share my experience. My TCM failed on my Ď13 Hatch last summer. I lost all power & reverse. The TCM was obviously replaced however my car drives no better than it did before the replacement. It still shudders constantly & the shifting points are very odd & quirky. So Ford basically just fixed what broke, they didnít improve the drivability of my car.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago & I took it in again for shuddering on acceleration. Their transmission technician agreed & recommenced new clutch packs however Ford wonít cover it under warranty based on the 5yr powertrain warranty expired in Nov. Ď18. They wanted $2,200 out of pocket & my car has only 38k miles. Ford customer service is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I've heard different numbers. I would shop around and try a different dealer. I've also heard as low as $1200 (yes, low, it is a transmission part after all)

If I ever have to replace the clutches (normal lifespan on Tom's tune) this is what I'm gonna do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in