18S32 recall and p0420 code - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2019, 05:57 PM  
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 411095
Points 15, Level 1
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 caseygram@gmail.com Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
18S32 recall and p0420 code

Hey was curious if anyone had their catalytic converter replaced with the new recall? I initially got a p0456 code I believe, and eventually started having the rough idle and hard to start symptoms. Ran a check on the codes and ended up having multiple codes come up. I replaced the purge valve myself and all codes but p0420 went away. I know I probably should have taken it back into the dealership when all of this happened, but figured for $50 i should just change it myself. This obviously is all related to a failed purge valve, and realize that it technically isnt covered in the recall, but additional work can be done if it is related. Really just wanting to know if anyone else has actually had this same problem or what was the final outcome. I am scheduled to take the car in next monday which is the earliest they can take it unfortunately.

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 PM  
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 409817
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatch

Points 174, Level 3
Points: 174, Level: 3 Points: 174, Level: 3 Points: 174, Level: 3
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 1 Smalls89 Good Standing Member
I have a '12 SEL.

I got it in August '18 and ran fine. By Oct it started having a po420 that would come and go (would come then go away on its own for a couple weeks). By Dec it come for a week, go away for a week. By Feb I declared the cat past baked as it now has a constant po420.

I am surprised how quick it died.

I took it in for the valve recall and got an all clear. I think they are a typical stealership as I think the tank is indeed mildly deformed.

With 0 to E it only took 11.3 gal for a 12.4 it should have. I may misunderstand the usable capacity of a tank though.

Just as a precursor I'm going to replace the solenoid and canister myself before I replace the cat. Not much I can do for the tank if it is boogered.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:03 PM  
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 410021
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus 5 door Titanium

Points 381, Level 7
Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 SupraGuy Good Standing Member
I bought my car 6 weeks ago, and the purge valve recall was the only one listed for it, so the dealer did that. I did not have the P0420 code at that time, but after replacing the valve and fuel tank, I started to, so they're replacing the catalytic converter (Today, if I'm lucky.)

Interesting to see these two going together. I was basically under the assumption that when (in a separate incident) I had the clutches replaced, they somehow managed to screw something up. I'm still not convinced that this isn't the case, but this thread adds a little bit of doubt for the dealer to get the benefit of.

1990 Toyota Supra turbo
I think the cams are still stock...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 02:33 PM  
Focus Rookie

Points 15, Level 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
I would think the purge valve failing would be more likely to cause catalytic converter failure rather than transmission work. I guess they are in fairly close proximity. Anyway just trying to see if any one has had luck getting a new catalytic converter covered with the recall? It obviously is related and may not happen to everyone but seems as if it has happened to some for sure
Old 04-01-2019, 04:57 PM  
Focus Enthusiast

Points 381, Level 7
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
New catalytic converter, covered under warranty.

So really, I'd only had the car a couple of weeks when the transmission crapped out, but until it did, I hadn't seen a CEL. After getting the service done for the new input shaft seal, new clutch pack, new TCM, etc. I barely made it home before the P0420 popped up. I got the same code on my old Honda (Nearly 3X the mileage on that one.) If I reset the fault codes using Torque, they stay off for a month or more before they trigger again.

So, I reset the codes, under the (apparently mistaken) assumption that there would be no warranty on the catalytic converter. I didn't make it in to work before they popped up again. Reset, didn't make it back home again. This is about a 25km(16 mile) commute, about half of it on the highway.

P0420 is a catalytic converter under-performing, so unless the failure is hard and absolute, then one would expect to see a gradually increasing frequency of check engine lights for the P0420 code over time, and this seemed rather sudden, and also immediately following other work on the car.

The mechanism for this code is typically too much oxygen still in the exhaust downstream of the catalytic converter. If one assumes that the overall air/fuel mix is appropriate (as measured by the O2 sensor upstream of the catalytic converter) then post catalytic converter there should be near complete combustion, resulting in almost no O2 left.

Certain seals can leak such that they allow outside air to be drawn into the exhaust system upstream of the O2 sensor, or the O2 sensor can be installed in such a way as to not exclusively measure the exhaust gasses, and get contamination from outside air. Exhaust flex pipes can also leak in this manner. this will trigger P0420, as there is then too much O2 in the measured sample, even though the catalytic converter is still doing its job perfectly well.

Now, I haven't spent a lot of time underneath this car, and so I don't really know exactly how everything is connected, but in order to remove the transmission, at least motor mounts must be disconnected. In the Supra (Which is of course rear wheel drive) you can't drop the transmission with the exhaust in place, and even disconnecting the motor mounts, it is recommended to disconnect the front exhaust in order to prevent excessive strain on the hangers and pipes. Maybe the transmission in this can be dropped without disturbing the exhaust at all, but it seemed a more than reasonable hypothesis to explain both the timing and severity of the failure.

Replacing the catalytic converter is still a valid treatment, particularly if Ford will then pay for parts and labour. The dealership would have had to cover everything if they let it be about something that they did wrong, so even if the tech found a problem, I doubt that I'd have heard about it.

However, in the end, it was covered under warranty, even if it did mean that I spent another week with a service loaner until they got around to doing anything with my car. From that perspective, I can say that at least Ford Canada is willing to cover the catalytic converter for a 2012 with about 121,000 kms on it. I think that they checked that it would be okay with 130,000 kms on it, so I was probably on my last 6 months of warranty with my annual mileage. Now it's a new unit, so I will probably not see the end of service life of this one.

1990 Toyota Supra turbo
Old 04-01-2019, 06:06 PM  
Focus Rookie

Points 15, Level 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
so I have 120k miles on mine so out of warranty. It was diagnosed today and the catalytic converter is bad. The dealership is talking to ford to see if they will pay for it since it most likely is related to the failed purge valve as well. Doubt anything will come of it though. Anyway glad that you ended up getting a new one under warranty, but what I am trying to figure out really has anyone had luck getting a catalytic converter replaced if out of warranty when they had a p0420 code showing up for the recall on the purge valve and collapsing fuel tank.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:14 AM  
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 409817
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatch

Points 174, Level 3
Points: 174, Level: 3 Points: 174, Level: 3 Points: 174, Level: 3
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 1 Smalls89 Good Standing Member
If you replace it yourself the part is about $250 and you are out some time replacing it
Old 04-08-2019, 03:25 PM  
Focus Rookie

Points 15, Level 1
Level Up 29% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
From what I have seen the exhaust manifold and cat are all one piece. Seems you have to raise the engine a bit and doesnt seem like a very easy fix to me. I am pretty comfortable working on some things but not sure I want to mess with doing all of that. But still looking into options as of now
Old 08-27-2019, 08:33 PM  
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120373
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST3 Tuxedo Black

Points 4,119, Level 40
Points: 4,119, Level: 40 Points: 4,119, Level: 40 Points: 4,119, Level: 40
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 6%
FF Reputation: 1 okaythen Good Standing Member
Got a 2014 and still haven't got the 2nd notice, even if I get it I can't get it fixed for the next 3 weeks or so. So just keep tank above 1/2 and it should be fine? If the gas tank deforms and valve goes bad. Can I still drive it to the dealer or I need a tow truck?
Old 08-28-2019, 01:03 PM  
Focus Enthusiast

Points 381, Level 7
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
My gas tank was already deformed when I went in for the recall (Free replacement and a full tank of fuel). They ask you to keep the 1/2 tank in order to possibly prevent the tank from deforming, but if it does, they'll replace it.

You ought to be able to drive it, for all you know at this point, your valve is already bad, and the tank is already deformed. It doesn't necessarily light the CEL.

1990 Toyota Supra turbo

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in