2012-18 Recall - Stall / Tank Deform - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2018, 02:07 AM   #71
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

Points 2,029, Level 27
Points: 2,029, Level: 27 Points: 2,029, Level: 27 Points: 2,029, Level: 27
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Most techs are reporting that the tanks are not actually deforming.

Most vehicles are receiving reprograms only, no parts replacement. About 40% with CEL codes are receiving new purge valves (this is an updated part number, can be had for $45 for NA: BV6Z-9D289-B/ BV6Z-9D289-R and for ecoboost: BV6Z 9D289-E).

I have a 5 speed manual, my issues consist of car wanting to stall after filling up and coming to a stop. More recently, RPM drops while idling for prolonged periods with increased electrical load (headlights on, windows, stereo, etc). The reprogram update did help reduce idle drops; however, still have occasional studders. I'll be replacing the valve myself for $45 and 10min of my time instead of dealing with the dealer. Can't expect the dealers to do much, FoMoCo isn't paying them a whole lot to waste their time either.

Another item to check is the canister underneath the right side of the car, especially if you drive on dirt roads. Can use an air compressor to clear out some of the dirt.
Arco-Zakus likes this.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #72
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 2013 ST3

Points 13,124, Level 74
Points: 13,124, Level: 74 Points: 13,124, Level: 74 Points: 13,124, Level: 74
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 71%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%
FF Reputation: 42 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post

Most vehicles are receiving reprograms only, no parts replacement. About 40% with CEL codes are receiving new purge valves (this is an updated part number, can be had for $45 for NA: BV6Z-9D289-B/ BV6Z-9D289-R and for ecoboost: BV6Z 9D289-E).

I'll be replacing the valve myself for $45 and 10min of my time instead of dealing with the dealer.
Yeah, i might just go this route too. My '13 hasnt had any issues but I'd rather swap the part and not have to worry about it.

Found these diagrams:

Old 01-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #73
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 2,041, Level 27
Points: 2,041, Level: 27 Points: 2,041, Level: 27 Points: 2,041, Level: 27
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 novus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post

I have a 5 speed manual, my issues consist of car wanting to stall after filling up and coming to a stop. More recently, RPM drops while idling for prolonged periods with increased electrical load (headlights on, windows, stereo, etc). The reprogram update did help reduce idle drops; however, still have occasional studders. I'll be replacing the valve myself for $45 and 10min of my time instead of dealing with the dealer. Can't expect the dealers to do much, FoMoCo isn't paying them a whole lot to waste their time either.

Another item to check is the canister underneath the right side of the car, especially if you drive on dirt roads. Can use an air compressor to clear out some of the dirt.
Not actually deforming? Interesting.

I already replaced this part when I found that thread a couple years back that stated this was an issue.

It's funny that the P0420 code pops right back up when I fill up my tank.
Hatch Nation #118
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #74
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104344
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 16, Level 1
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 2 tracycali Good Standing Member
2012-18 Recall - Stall / Tank Deform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad-G View Post
I hope they will refund the valve because I replaced it myself... meh.

DCT will have to be redesigned, new parts, a lot of work, etc... maybe a recall in 10 years lol

Same here. Got the P0456 code, reset it a couple times. When it came back again I looked up the YouTube valve replacement procedure, ordered one from rockauto and replaced it in about 15 mins on a Saturday. LITERALLY the next week I get the recall notice. Not worth the trouble to try and get the $45 back from Ford. Mom was wrong on this one... sometimes procrastination IS the answer!

Sent from my iPad using FF Mobile
Arco-Zakus likes this.

Last edited by tracycali; 01-02-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #75
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104344
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 16, Level 1
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 2 tracycali Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsoup View Post
I just took my 2012 into the dealer, they said they would only inspect the fuel tank and they wouldn't even do THAT unless I signed a release to pay for diagnostic work. I said I only want the recall done, the check engine came on, oh we won't even scan it without the release. I told them it was rediculous and drove away, so typical ford is having collapsing fuel tanks and this is the treatment I get. I suppose I"ll look into a purge valve myself and see how bad the tank is, hopefully the cannister isn't soaked with gas or worse. I can see with the rear O2 coming on the cat is probably ruined, my first and only new Ford. (there were a huge line of new F150's on the lifts at this place...)

Got a 2012 f150 lariat 4x4 with over 100,000mi on it. Been rock solid, no problems just regular scheduled maintenance. Ecoboost w/automatic FTW.

Sent from my iPad using FF Mobile
Old 01-06-2019, 01:53 AM   #76
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 408461
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

Points 20, Level 1
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 renan97ar Good Standing Member
For anybody who has done the recall and got an ECU firmware update, did you lose any modifications done to the BCM? My car has quite a few things that were added, and I'm quite worried about the dealer flashing the factory AS built data back.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #77
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 126706
What I Drive: 2012 red Focus se 4dr

Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 freetimecreations Good Standing Member
I searched but could not find photos of an extremely deformed gas tank. Saw a couple showing where to measure the 1" deformity. Will someone post their gas tank implosion or show me a link. Do some tanks really look like crushed soda cans? I realize they are plastic.

History is that I drove my car for at least 10 miles showing "0" on the "miles to empty display." When I filled up it only took 10 gallons. I think my tank is 12.5 gallons. Read this thread and looked at my tank. Those two metal braces seem to be bending outward 1/4" inch not inward. Also, not sure if I hit something or it is related to my tank collapsing and then popping back into shape but the heat shield towards the rear of the tank is all bent out of shape.

Last edited by freetimecreations; 01-06-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added line spacing and grammer fix
Old 01-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #78
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 126706
What I Drive: 2012 red Focus se 4dr

Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 freetimecreations Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by renan97ar View Post
For anybody who has done the recall and got an ECU firmware update, did you lose any modifications done to the BCM? My car has quite a few things that were added, and I'm quite worried about the dealer flashing the factory AS built data back.
Got the Purge Valve TSB reflash done last week at the dealer and my 2012 SE with "Swap out steering wheel for cruise control" still worked so "NO" my BCM did not get reset by the dealership.
renan97ar likes this.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #79
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 381057
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Hatch

Points 10, Level 1
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 fourstczombie Good Standing Member
I replaced mine last fall before the recall, then the light came back on suggesting the cat has failed. I've been told that running it with the failed purge valve could cause the cat to fail. Can anyone confirm if this is so and if Ford will replace the cat under the recall?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #80
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 402578
Points 96, Level 1
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 1 AlaskaFocusFan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstczombie View Post
I replaced mine last fall before the recall, then the light came back on suggesting the cat has failed. I've been told that running it with the failed purge valve could cause the cat to fail. Can anyone confirm if this is so and if Ford will replace the cat under the recall?

I sure hope so. I've been getting P0420c quite often recently. Also, I found this on Ford's page for the recall... We with P0420's might stand a chance here for a new cat

Waiting for a call back from service department right now

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in