2012-18 Recall - Stall / Tank Deform - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #51
Focus Addict

Fan#: 141457
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Hatchback Titanium

Points 30,088, Level 100
Points: 30,088, Level: 100 Points: 30,088, Level: 100 Points: 30,088, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 9 Squad-G Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
A recall is a one-time repair. Once the recall is done, the program is closed for your vehicle unless otherwise specified. In rare cases, recalls remain open until an actual repair is made.
Hmmm... Interesting...

So, IF I tell my dealer to not perform the recall, I can claim this in 10 years when a problem come down the road... Now, lets see how long for a recall is valid.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 12:41 AM   #52
Focus Addict

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: '05 Focus ZX5, '14 Dodge Dart Aero

Points 599, Level 11
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 13 sykozis Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad-G View Post
Hmmm... Interesting...

So, IF I tell my dealer to not perform the recall, I can claim this in 10 years when a problem come down the road... Now, lets see how long for a recall is valid.
The vehicle legally belongs to you. Even though Ford is required to cover costs associated with the recall, if you refuse to have the recall done anything that happens as a result is your fault and Ford could refuse to cover it. I ran into that about a year ago with an Escape that had a recall on the ABS. There was an issue with the ABS connector that resulted in a "localized fire". The vehicle owner refused to have the recall done. The "localized fire" occurred and Ford refused coverage due to owner negligence. Also saw it happen with an F-150 with the cruise de-activation switch recall. A vehicle owner refused to have the recall done. The switch leaked, shorted and ignited. Ford refused coverage because the recall was 10 years old and it was documented by the dealer (as required) that the vehicle owner refused to have it done.

If your vehicle suffers the expected failure and it results in an accident, you could also be held legally responsible due to negligence.

In the end, whether or not to accept the possible risks is all on you. It is quite stupid to ignore a recall though.
Arco-Zakus likes this.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 6,163, Level 51
Points: 6,163, Level: 51 Points: 6,163, Level: 51 Points: 6,163, Level: 51
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad-G View Post
Hmmm... Interesting...

Why would you not have the recall done? Itís a safety issue & also no one will buy a vehicle with an open recall. Actually, if you take the vehicle in for service maybe they would just fix the recall without even asking you. Iím not sure why they would need the owners permission to fix any recall, since itís not costing you a dime & itís there to keep you safe.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #54
Focus Addict

Fan#: 141457
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Hatchback Titanium

Points 30,088, Level 100
Points: 30,088, Level: 100 Points: 30,088, Level: 100 Points: 30,088, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 9 Squad-G Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
The vehicle legally belongs to you. Even though Ford is required to cover costs associated with the recall, if you refuse to have the recall done anything that happens as a result is your fault and Ford could refuse to cover it. I ran into that about a year ago with an Escape that had a recall on the ABS. There was an issue with the ABS connector that resulted in a "localized fire". The vehicle owner refused to have the recall done. The "localized fire" occurred and Ford refused coverage due to owner negligence. Also saw it happen with an F-150 with the cruise de-activation switch recall. A vehicle owner refused to have the recall done. The switch leaked, shorted and ignited. Ford refused coverage because the recall was 10 years old and it was documented by the dealer (as required) that the vehicle owner refused to have it done.

If your vehicle suffers the expected failure and it results in an accident, you could also be held legally responsible due to negligence.

In the end, whether or not to accept the possible risks is all on you. It is quite stupid to ignore a recall though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
Why would you not have the recall done? It’s a safety issue & also no one will buy a vehicle with an open recall. Actually, if you take the vehicle in for service maybe they would just fix the recall without even asking you. I’m not sure why they would need the owners permission to fix any recall, since it’s not costing you a dime & it’s there to keep you safe.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I understand what you guys as saying...

The reason I said that is because I've replaced the valve already not too long ago by myself and I know the car is in good shape. If the valve stay open, I'll hear it because it click super fast so then I would take it to the dealer for the recall. I do most of the work on the car myself in general except the oil change because its cheaper at my dealer then me doing it (I got what they call a "VIP Oil Change card", it give almost 50% discount).

Assuming I do the recall today and the valve/tank is deformed in 2 years... Why would I pay for the repair since Ford knew the part is defective ? The recall AFAIK, if nothing wrong with your car, is just a PCM update.

Last edited by Squad-G; 11-07-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #55
Focus Addict

Fan#: 120081
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE w/Sport Package

Points 5,494, Level 47
Points: 5,494, Level: 47 Points: 5,494, Level: 47 Points: 5,494, Level: 47
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 rebelx Good Standing Member
Was just at the dealer and they told me that if I'm not experiencing symptoms, to not have them do the review for this recall.

They said it's a "once and done" thing, so I should save it for when I'm experiencing symptoms.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #56
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 289825
What I Drive: 2003 screaming yellow svt eap zx3

Points 1,951, Level 26
Points: 1,951, Level: 26 Points: 1,951, Level: 26 Points: 1,951, Level: 26
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 1 bodyman5001 Good Standing Member
Wife just texted that her check engine light is on and car almost died at a stoplight.

Work 5 minutes from the Ford dealer so went and asked if we should bring it in or just fill the tank up until she had time to bring it in. Had a 1/4 tank in the picture she sent me.

Said they didn't have the valves in and would be a few days if that was all it needs but the gas tanks are backordered 2 months.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #57
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 66334
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti Sedan Sport

Points 20, Level 1
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 kingsoup Good Standing Member
I just took my 2012 into the dealer, they said they would only inspect the fuel tank and they wouldn't even do THAT unless I signed a release to pay for diagnostic work. I said I only want the recall done, the check engine came on, oh we won't even scan it without the release. I told them it was rediculous and drove away, so typical ford is having collapsing fuel tanks and this is the treatment I get. I suppose I"ll look into a purge valve myself and see how bad the tank is, hopefully the cannister isn't soaked with gas or worse. I can see with the rear O2 coming on the cat is probably ruined, my first and only new Ford. (there were a huge line of new F150's on the lifts at this place...)
Old 11-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #58
Fear the TurboSnail!

Fan#: 40342
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

Points 9,077, Level 64
Points: 9,077, Level: 64 Points: 9,077, Level: 64 Points: 9,077, Level: 64
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 17 UnFocusedST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsoup View Post
I just took my 2012 into the dealer, they said they would only inspect the fuel tank and they wouldn't even do THAT unless I signed a release to pay for diagnostic work. I said I only want the recall done, the check engine came on, oh we won't even scan it without the release. I told them it was rediculous and drove away, so typical ford is having collapsing fuel tanks and this is the treatment I get. I suppose I"ll look into a purge valve myself and see how bad the tank is, hopefully the cannister isn't soaked with gas or worse. I can see with the rear O2 coming on the cat is probably ruined, my first and only new Ford. (there were a huge line of new F150's on the lifts at this place...)
Do you have another Ford dealer near by?

Sent from another garage.
Team Duratec #17
Hatch Nation #17
Midwest Crew #55
Boosted Crew #118
Old 12-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #59
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 66334
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti Sedan Sport

Points 20, Level 1
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 kingsoup Good Standing Member
Quite a few ford dealers in the city I live in, I might call one and just ask on the phone this time before I go in.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #60
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 2,041, Level 27
Points: 2,041, Level: 27 Points: 2,041, Level: 27 Points: 2,041, Level: 27
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 novus Good Standing Member
Personally I'd just wait until they have the procedure down. No sense in getting something done preemptively.
Hatch Nation #118

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in