Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/)
-   -   Coolant loss (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/783801-coolant-loss.html)

Reilly 01-20-2018 11:17 AM

Coolant loss

My 2014 Focus SE 5 speed manual has been totally trouble free since purchasing it new. It now has 33K. I did notice that when I added coolant to bring it up to the 'FULL' line it would go back down to the 'ADD' line within a few months (it seemed happier to stay at the 'ADD' line).
Recently I filled it to the 'FULL' line and proceeded to drive on a 1500 mile trip at speeds up to 80 mph...it ended up with the coolant about 3/4" below the 'ADD' line.

My questions are:
1) is this normal/...in other words ...is anybody else having this issue?
2) what could be the cause?

It's not a huge issue because a gallon of coolant for 'top off' would last for a couple of years. I'm wondering if high speed, highway driving exacerbates the problem?
Thanks

pasta 01-20-2018 02:02 PM

No Leaks.

playklax 01-21-2018 11:05 AM

I have a 2012 with 43K on it and having the same issue. All other fluids are fine and oil stays right where it should. But coolant keeps dropping below Add quite often. Don't see anything on the driveway so I don't think it's leaking.

Reilly 01-22-2018 02:05 PM

Yes....I found another thread on this issue in 'FocusFanatics' by using GOOGLE...the 'search' function on this site is basically useless.
They say it could be my surge tank cap.....I plan on keeping an eye on it and seeing if it
stabilizes at a certain level (or keeps dropping).

I'm past the 3/36 warranty but maybe the powertrain warranty will cover it if it's a problem???

sqspeed 02-01-2018 01:39 PM

2015 with 26k miles. I've only had to add coolant to my car once, and this was after the cracked radiator was replaced by the dealership. I'd think the powertrain warranty would cover it. You shouldn't have this issue.

The coolant system is probably leaking somewhere, either externally or internally (head gasket, cracked head etc). Has the car ever overheated?

Plymchris 02-01-2018 01:54 PM

I have had a similar "problem". I don't really consider it a problem though. If I top up my coolant the level will drop pretty quickly, within a few weeks and the hold steady. It will stay steady for a year at least. There are no leaks, the engine never overheats or causes any trouble. If I top it up it just seems to self regulate somehow.
So now I don't worry about it, I have a bottle of premixed coolant I keep in the boot, just in case it ever gets really low, but otherwise I don't really worry too much. Probably about every 6 months or so I give it a little top up, I know the level will drop by itself but it makes sure that it hasn't lost any more.

Reilly 02-02-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plymchris (Post 11134745)
I have had a similar "problem". I don't really consider it a problem though. If I top up my coolant the level will drop pretty quickly, within a few weeks and the hold steady. It will stay steady for a year at least. There are no leaks, the engine never overheats or causes any trouble. If I top it up it just seems to self regulate somehow.
So now I don't worry about it, I have a bottle of premixed coolant I keep in the boot, just in case it ever gets really low, but otherwise I don't really worry too much. Probably about every 6 months or so I give it a little top up, I know the level will drop by itself but it makes sure that it hasn't lost any more.

That's pretty much what my car does.
I'm thinking I don't have a leak because I added Barsleaks pellets to no avail (I've had good luck with this product fixing minor leaks on other cars in the past).

I'll keep an eye on it ...

Plymchris 02-02-2018 11:26 AM

I am certain I don't have a leak, the level falls too quickly for it not to cause spotting on the driveway, then stops.

msperber 02-02-2018 07:04 PM

The basic engine design is the same on the mk3 as it is on the focus rs models. The loss of coolant which is being describe is the similar discription that the RS model is experiencing. The test and fix is straight forward, pressure test, if loss of pressure is more than 5psi over a 5 hour window, head gasket, if the loss is severe, borascope to see if fluild is on the piston surface, if yes then the head is replaced. Not that the motors are the same but they are really very very similar.

rtd101 02-12-2018 09:28 PM

I having a similar issue with my 2012 Focus SE with 120K. I lost about two quarts of coolant in a month. No signs of any leaks. Its like the coolant is just disappearing.