Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New clutch, any better than old?

9K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  justjules 
#1 ·
2014 Focus with auto trans. Had clutch replaced under warranty at 38,000 miles. Is the new one only going to last that long and I'll be stuck with the bill? I don't have the extended warranty.

#6 ·
the only notice I got was the TCM Warranty. Do all MKIII have 100k warranty on clutch replacements? I also got the door latch recall notice but told nothing can be done until some time next year when they have the parts. So far no latch problems. If I do, I'm told basically to deal with it until they have a part after which they'll send out notices.

#8 ·
Build date for my car is 06/2014 When I view my Vehicle Health Report, the following is under Recalls and FSA, "FAS Title: TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE
Field Service Action Number: 14M02" This mentions the TCM but not the clutch specifically. Searching threads for 14M02 I found the thread from last year in which it's the TCM noted in the coverage. The 2nd reply by Sailor noted did not at this time cover clutches.
Would a car with 06/2014 build date have an extended clutch warranty?

#10 ·
The only thing that could possibly be a date is at the very bottom of the sticker. The top said Date: 06/14. The bottom had 201406147139. Could be 2014 yr, 06, mo. 147139? 14th day at 1:39pm?
I've not been able to find anything that states if this car has an extended warranty on the clutches. I received the 14M02 via mail and notification on Vehicle health report. can't find the mail anymore.

#12 ·
Wow!. Does that mean my 2014 Focus is SOL after the 3/36 is up. I have an extended warranty that goes up to 5yrs/75k miles I got from Ford but it is not the Ford Extended Care, it is "The Mechanic" Is all they offer at my dealer. Not sure if this covers me for this DCT issues. What makes my car any different than those build up to 6/15/13? Same crappy DCT build. I already had clutches replaced at 11,600 miles. I sent the link to FordEtis to my personal email. Can't access it from work as needs stuff downloaded.

#13 ·
5/60 power train covers the transmission, so it's not QUITE as bad as that.

When that warranty extension came out the clutch/seals then used in production (June 16 2014 and up) was considered the final fix and it was the first extended warranty offered.

Since then it's been a wait and wonder if that would ever be extended. Now that a new clutch assy. has again been put into production cars and used for replacements, it's time once again to wonder if a fresh extension will be made.

#14 ·
I'm then having to "wait and wonder."

#16 ·
I'm not quite at 13K miles on my 2014. Was a new leftover when I got in 03/2015. clutches replaced at 11,600 but they didn't seem that bad to me. If I keep up my pace of 9k or less per year, I should be ok.
I agree. If stuck with the likelihood of an expensive repair, I'd try to get out as well.
I have an extended warranty that covers the loan at 72 mos. Also up to 75k miles which would take me awhile to get there. If the clutches/trans are covered by this then I'm happy. I had my 07 nearly 5 yrs. My 2011 about 4.5 years. I should be under 50k miles in 5 years.
It would be unconscionable to not give us extended warrantees on such a defective part.

#19 ·
I am amazed that this problem is so ongoing & unresolved without a recall...The Ford reps are wonderful on here & when they call. They are dictated though by corporate on what they can & can't do. How do recalls with real fixes come about? Warranties are nice until they cease.... there has to be an answer.... Dump it before the warranty expires!!

#21 ·
Sounds possible but why are there so many other manufacturers getting recalled with serious issues...Chrysler-Toyota- Tesla-GM and other issues a lot less serious with Ford but since they were proactive & extended warranty its a dead issue...but I think cars last a lot longer than 7 years-100k miles today----Hyundai gives you 10 years 100k miles first owner without jumping thru hoops....( I still think a good faith warranty extension to 10 years- 150k miles would send a very positive message that it's fixed & ok)

#22 ·
Simple answer, the recall system is set up for immediate safety issues with a known fix. Once performed, that's it.

Current model Focus examples are the fuel pump recall and the door latch one.

#25 ·
2016 Ford focus

I AM ON MY THIRD TCM AND CLUTCH AND ITS ACTING UP AGAIN AFTER JUST TWO MONTHS. I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH FORD COMPANY, THE LADY PRETTY MUCH SAID TO TAKE IT IN FOR NUMBER FOUR AND LET THE SERVICE TECH "GUIDE" ME TO WHAT MY NEXT STEPS WILL BE!! i HAVE ALREADY TALKED TO THEM ABOUT TRADING IT IN, BUT I HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR. IN THE MEAN TIME I GUESS ILL MAKE LEMONADE WITH THIS LEMON OF A CAR FORD MADE?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.