Field Service Action 15B22 - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree40Likes
Reply




 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #21
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 91157
Location: Kennewick, WA
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

Posts: 64
Points 980, Level 16
Points: 980, Level: 16 Points: 980, Level: 16 Points: 980, Level: 16
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm almost hesitant to take my 2012 focus in now to get this software update done >.< My car has had loss of transmission engagement, no start, and lack of power issues plus excessive noise <grinding> since I purchased the vehicle brand new. I've had it into the dealership 4 or 5 times in the first couple years and they were never able to resolve the issue but I'm sure it was well documented.

From what I understand, this update will actually MAKE THE VEHICLE NOT DRIVABLE in an attempt to keep it from destroying itself if it does detect a problem right? This is a daily highway vehicle for me, 100mile drive, in an area with no cell service... if this thing decides to DOA on the road I'm really screwed. I think I'll take my chances with it giving up the ghost sometime in the future which will likely be very predictable <but will inevitably cost more to repair> rather than having the computer take over and stop me in the middle of the mountains in BFE.
Cleric670 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #22
Focus Enthusiast
 
Timthom62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97579
Location: Oregon, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Posts: 250
Points 6,253, Level 51
Points: 6,253, Level: 51 Points: 6,253, Level: 51 Points: 6,253, Level: 51
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric670 View Post
From what I understand, this update will actually MAKE THE VEHICLE NOT DRIVABLE in an attempt to keep it from destroying itself if it does detect a problem right?
I had not heard anything like that about the 15B22 TCM software update. To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, the software update for the TCM is to provide improved fault recording/fault reporting for troubleshooting and improved fault indication for the operator.

It would seem unlikely that Ford, or any car maker, would make a change that would immobilize the car, if only because of the liability issues that could present.
__________________
2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A (built 2/27/12)
2012 Sonic Blue 5-Door SE Sport 203A (built 9/13/11)
Timthom62 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #23
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 91157
Location: Kennewick, WA
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

Posts: 64
Points 980, Level 16
Points: 980, Level: 16 Points: 980, Level: 16 Points: 980, Level: 16
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wouldn't surprise me at all tbh. One user on the first page had the update done while in for a brake job and then had his vehicle basically immobilized and had to be towed back to shop. Without knowing WHAT that TCM update does exactly I'm very hesitant to get it. Forcing "limp mode" on a vehicle is a known practice in the diesel industry, only a matter of time until it's coded into gasoline engines as well.
Cleric670 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #24
Focus Addict
 
scott7278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100021
Location: St. Louis, MO
What I Drive: 2015 Magnetic Titanium Hatchback

Posts: 1,149
Points 2,501, Level 30
Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric670 View Post
I'm almost hesitant to take my 2012 focus in now to get this software update done >.< My car has had loss of transmission engagement, no start, and lack of power issues plus excessive noise <grinding> since I purchased the vehicle brand new. I've had it into the dealership 4 or 5 times in the first couple years and they were never able to resolve the issue but I'm sure it was well documented.

From what I understand, this update will actually MAKE THE VEHICLE NOT DRIVABLE in an attempt to keep it from destroying itself if it does detect a problem right? This is a daily highway vehicle for me, 100mile drive, in an area with no cell service... if this thing decides to DOA on the road I'm really screwed. I think I'll take my chances with it giving up the ghost sometime in the future which will likely be very predictable <but will inevitably cost more to repair> rather than having the computer take over and stop me in the middle of the mountains in BFE.
I got a letter today about my 2012, which I traded in. The update should make a check engine light come on at the start of TCM problems, rather than the thing just failing.
scott7278 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #25
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Fan#: 244777
Location: Addison, IL
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Hatchback

Posts: 9
Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Valg_pacino Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Or like me they had my car since Wednesday morning until later this evening I got a call saying that they have to replace transmission control module (TCM) so much of a headache can't believe I'm going thru this with a brand new car never had this kind of problems with my used cars I had before.

Last edited by Valg_pacino; 08-27-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Valg_pacino is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 11:38 PM   #26
Focus Enthusiast
 
Timthom62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97579
Location: Oregon, OR
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Posts: 250
Points 6,253, Level 51
Points: 6,253, Level: 51 Points: 6,253, Level: 51 Points: 6,253, Level: 51
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric670 View Post
Wouldn't surprise me at all tbh. One user on the first page had the update done while in for a brake job and then had his vehicle basically immobilized and had to be towed back to shop. Without knowing WHAT that TCM update does exactly I'm very hesitant to get it. Forcing "limp mode" on a vehicle is a known practice in the diesel industry, only a matter of time until it's coded into gasoline engines as well.
"Limp Home" modes are incorporated in most US vehicles specifically because of liability issues, and according to the 2012 Focus owners manual exist for both engine and transmission malfunctions.

Field Service Actions are voluntary, so there is no reason to get it if you don't want it. Just make it clear during any dealer visit that you do not want this done, as many dealers do outstanding FSAs automatically.

For myself, I tend to try not to be an "early adopter" when it comes to things like this, simply because there are often bugs to be worked out. Are the recent reports of issues post-15B22 indicative of that? Are the issues experienced caused by 15B22, were they existing problems identified by the update to the software in 15B22, or were they merely an unfortunate coincidence? There's not enough information here to say for certain either way.

I haven't received a letter from Ford yet for either of our cars, but I understand that this program will run until sometime in July, 2016. Since I have no reason to take either car to the dealer at the moment, and after having the clutch packs replaced on both last spring have had no transmission issues at all, I'm in no hurry.
Arco-Zakus likes this.
__________________
2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A (built 2/27/12)
2012 Sonic Blue 5-Door SE Sport 203A (built 9/13/11)
Timthom62 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #27
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 91157
Location: Kennewick, WA
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

Posts: 64
Points 980, Level 16
Points: 980, Level: 16 Points: 980, Level: 16 Points: 980, Level: 16
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Cleric670 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't think the issue is caused BY 15B22 unless your vehicle is indeed showing symptoms, like mine, and I'm simply not willing to take the chance of the new programming leaving me stranded on the highway out of cellular range, that's all.
Cleric670 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 12:05 AM   #28
Focus Addict
 
scott7278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100021
Location: St. Louis, MO
What I Drive: 2015 Magnetic Titanium Hatchback

Posts: 1,149
Points 2,501, Level 30
Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30 Points: 2,501, Level: 30
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Per Ford, it does not change the operability of the vehicle, it just gives you a warning when the TCM is not working optimally; before, you could have intermittent symptoms and never know it was the TCM's fault.

With the CEL, the codes would be stored, so no more dealers saying "We can't duplicate the issue." You will have proof that it's the TCM, not a bad ground or other issues.
PratoN likes this.
scott7278 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 01:13 AM   #29
Focus Addict
 
JoshuaCurrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Fan#: 183161
Location: Bates City, MO
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red Focus SE Hatchback

Posts: 581
Points 5,948, Level 49
Points: 5,948, Level: 49 Points: 5,948, Level: 49 Points: 5,948, Level: 49
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 JoshuaCurrie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I had the update done on my 2014 Focus and I really don't like it. It has changed so much on how the transmission worked before the update. I get more shuddering and shaking then what the car had before I had the update done along with the transmission jerks real hard during take off and it will throw you forward in your seat if your not ready for it. Also had to take it back to Ford because the update disabled the clock which Ford didn't know how to fix so after a few hours of screwing with it I was able to get the clock working right. So If I could I would like the update removed but I know I can't so I'll half to just live with it which it gonna really make me mad. So Ford in my opinion turned my DCT into a piece of crap. It was working beautiful with the new TCM and I go take it in and have this update put in and now my Focus sucks A##. Thanks Ford for making me unhappy with my Ford. I think I'll call Ford customer care and voice my dislike on this update.
JoshuaCurrie is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #30
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91789
Location: Too much info, IL
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Posts: 1,380
Points 4,225, Level 41
Points: 4,225, Level: 41 Points: 4,225, Level: 41 Points: 4,225, Level: 41
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 17 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaCurrie View Post
I had the update done on my 2014 Focus and I really don't like it. It has changed so much on how the transmission worked before the update. I get more shuddering and shaking then what the car had before I had the update done along with the transmission jerks real hard during take off and it will throw you forward in your seat if your not ready for it. Also had to take it back to Ford because the update disabled the clock which Ford didn't know how to fix so after a few hours of screwing with it I was able to get the clock working right. So If I could I would like the update removed but I know I can't so I'll half to just live with it which it gonna really make me mad. So Ford in my opinion turned my DCT into a piece of crap. It was working beautiful with the new TCM and I go take it in and have this update put in and now my Focus sucks A##. Thanks Ford for making me unhappy with my Ford. I think I'll call Ford customer care and voice my dislike on this update.
I suspect more the the 15B22 update was applied when your car was serviced. I just had mine done and a software update to revise shift strategy was applied as well. I've noticed the same thing with more clutch chatter but have been told the software has to "relearn" the car's specific clutch touch points, etc. This process can take 100-500 miles, I guess.

I'm going to give Ford the provisional benefit of the doubt on this one. Major revisions were made to DCT workings for the 2015 model year and this could be applying some of those lessons to older models. The "adaptive" learning of the gearbox was one of the problems before, I think, and perhaps this will make things better. We'll see in a few hundred miles. I'd suggest confirming this with your dealer and giving it a little time, but like you I wanted a car but wound up with a project.
zehkaiser likes this.
dan50 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.




 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1