Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/)
-   -   Ford Focus & Fiesta Powershift Dual Clutch TCM Failure Symptoms (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/469009-ford-focus-fiesta-powershift-dual-clutch-tcm-failure-symptoms.html)

makuloco2000 08-24-2014 07:14 PM

Ford Focus & Fiesta Powershift Dual Clutch TCM Failure Symptoms

Now while I do go over TCM replacement and a little of how it all works this is by no means a customer type repair. What I do go over though is the symptoms of a failing Transmission Control Module. If the grounding issue checks out (see video explaining that below first, it applies to Focus too) and you are still having these symptoms you are due for a TCM replacement. While a very expensive repair it is covered under emissions defect warranty which is longer instead of powertrain so don't dismiss the dealer just yet. Hope this helps these are the most common symptoms which may be intermittent at first.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

sailor 08-25-2014 05:21 AM

Moved to recall & problems section - stickied

carol3162 09-05-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makuloco2000 (Post 6703553)
Now while I do go over TCM replacement and a little of how it all works this is by no means a customer type repair. What I do go over though is the symptoms of a failing Transmission Control Module. If the grounding issue checks out (see video explaining that below first, it applies to Focus too) and you are still having these symptoms you are due for a TCM replacement. While a very expensive repair it is covered under emissions defect warranty which is longer instead of powertrain so don't dismiss the dealer just yet. Hope this helps these are the most common symptoms which may be intermittent at first.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

what are the symptoms?

TheOldBear 09-30-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carol3162 (Post 6774833)
what are the symptoms?

Having the vehicle shift itself out of gear and intro neutral [while still indicating that the car is in gear] seems to be one set of symptoms.

There are others, accompanied by flashing indicators, engine trouble codes, and failure to start with the transmission indicator showing 'P'.

Sometimes the problem seems to clear itself, and the car can be restarted and driven.

makuloco2000 10-26-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carol3162 (Post 6774833)
what are the symptoms?

Most of them are noted in the video, but no reverse, no movement, gearshift indicator erratic, no crank at times are the most common ones.

dimonstr 11-12-2014 12:50 AM

Getrag Powershift 6DCT450 electical wiring TCM

Hello everyone!
makuloco2000, can help with diagrams Ford Focus 3, 2.0L? Very interested in the electronic control module TCM transmission gearbox Powershift 6DCT450, which stands on the Focus 3 with 2.0L engine 2011 onwards/
Thanks)

sailor 11-12-2014 04:42 AM

Makuloco's videos only apply to 6DCT250 for the North American market.

Other types may have similarities, but they aren't sold here so we have little info. on them.

williarn 12-04-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimonstr (Post 7234625)
Hello everyone!
makuloco2000, can help with diagrams Ford Focus 3, 2.0L? Very interested in the electronic control module TCM transmission gearbox Powershift 6DCT450, which stands on the Focus 3 with 2.0L engine 2011 onwards/
Thanks)

Mine had been doing the slip into neutral thing intermittently, along with some jerkiness in shifting. Then it got to where it would slip into neutral and I'd have to sit on the side of the road for 10 min before it would go back into gear. I took it to the dealership hoping it was part of Ford's extended warranty on the clutch seal, but they told me the clutch is fine, it's the TCM. They want $1300 for the repair. Ouch!!!!

Interesting note: before I started having TCM-esque symptoms, I previously have experienced several times where I get in the car and turn the key and it won't turn over. Nothing--not a dead battery (I had it checked)--an electronic type of 'no response'. The dealership couldn't figure it out.

Last time I drove the car, the first time it "slipped out of gear", I pulled off the road and stopped the car, removed the key. I waited a minute, then put the key back in. It wouldn't turn over. I mentioned this to the dealer rep and he supposed that maybe that ignition fault is related to the TCM fault(s). I don't know whether he's on the right track or just making it up to get me to do the repair. Anyone else seen this symptom?

Also, is this a part I might get aftermarket or a repair I might get done elsewhere besides the dealership?

BeastMD 12-05-2014 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williarn (Post 7400409)
Mine had been doing the slip into neutral thing intermittently, along with some jerkiness in shifting. Then it got to where it would slip into neutral and I'd have to sit on the side of the road for 10 min before it would go back into gear. I took it to the dealership hoping it was part of Ford's extended warranty on the clutch seal, but they told me the clutch is fine, it's the TCM. They want $1300 for the repair. Ouch!!!!

Interesting note: before I started having TCM-esque symptoms, I previously have experienced several times where I get in the car and turn the key and it won't turn over. Nothing--not a dead battery (I had it checked)--an electronic type of 'no response'. The dealership couldn't figure it out.

Last time I drove the car, the first time it "slipped out of gear", I pulled off the road and stopped the car, removed the key. I waited a minute, then put the key back in. It wouldn't turn over. I mentioned this to the dealer rep and he supposed that maybe that ignition fault is related to the TCM fault(s). I don't know whether he's on the right track or just making it up to get me to do the repair. Anyone else seen this symptom?

Also, is this a part I might get aftermarket or a repair I might get done elsewhere besides the dealership?

TCM is covered under emissions warranty up to 80000 miles, so if you are under that you should have a covered repair.

williarn 12-05-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeastMD (Post 7401913)
TCM is covered under emissions warranty up to 80000 miles, so if you are under that you should have a covered repair.

I know. I'm at 81k, go figure.