Ford Focus & Fiesta Powershift Dual Clutch TCM Failure Symptoms - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #21
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Clutch actuator & TCM are separate parts, in fact there are two clutch actuators (one for each clutch).

To date I haven't seen any extended warranty on those parts, they'd only be under the 60,000 power train coverage AFAIK.

Log file of your own is good to have, but I wouldn't want to leave a dealer after a service visit without ppwk. for that R.O..

You can PM Meagan directly, no need to wait for a response to a post here.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #22
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 10,771, Level 68
Points: 10,771, Level: 68 Points: 10,771, Level: 68 Points: 10,771, Level: 68
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus12ses View Post
My 2012 Focus DCT with 74790 miles...I would like to hear from Meagan as to what to do since there is a fatigue level with this car...
Hi focus12ses,

Thanks for reaching out! I'm not a technician, so I'm unable to diagnose concerns, but your dealer will be a great place to start. Go ahead and send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll check into some options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
...You can PM Meagan directly, no need to wait for a response to a post here...
That's a great point, sailor. I don't always see posts, so sending me a PM is a great way to get a hold of me.

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

M - F 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #23
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90065
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Met. Ti Sedan

Points 308, Level 6
Points: 308, Level: 6 Points: 308, Level: 6 Points: 308, Level: 6
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Dynamech Good Standing Member
Transmission loses power when in drive

2012 Focus Titanium, 8/11 build, ~60300 miles

My situation sounds like it's related to TCM issues:

I lose power while driving (feels like car shifts to neutral) and today I lost power on some railroad tracks and that was just too much. It happened twice before at highway speeds and I was hoping it was just a fluke but this is too dangerous to just hope it'll work itself out. I'm taking the car into a Charleston, SC dealer tomorrow before work and will try to keep you updated.

Edit: Also, the first couple of times I restarted the car after the "neutral" behavior, the gear shift wouldn't unlock - so basically I couldn't even push the car out of the way if it had stayed that way.

Anything I might be missing?

Last edited by Dynamech; 01-26-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #24
Official Ford Rep

Points 10,771, Level 68
Level Up 81% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamech View Post
2012 Focus Titanium, 8/11 build, ~60300 miles

My situation sounds like it's related to TCM issues:

I lose power while driving (feels like car shifts to neutral) and today I lost power on some railroad tracks and that was just too much. It happened twice before at highway speeds and I was hoping it was just a fluke but this is too dangerous to just hope it'll work itself out. I'm taking the car into a Charleston, SC dealer tomorrow before work and will try to keep you updated.

Edit: Also, the first couple of times I restarted the car after the "neutral" behavior, the gear shift wouldn't unlock - so basically I couldn't even push the car out of the way if it had stayed that way.

Anything I might be missing?
I reached out to you on another thread, but I'll drop in here, too. :)

I want to look into some additional assistance on this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

t:

f:

Old 01-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #25
Focus Rookie

Points 308, Level 6
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Confirmed TCM Failure

Meagan - sent you a PM - please let me know if you got it since my mailbox is still showing 0 outgoing/sent.

Just got an update from the dealer (who has been very helpful so far) that I did indeed have a TCM failure.

For the record, I'm in a 2015 Focus rental right now (go figure) and it feels completely different and more confident and responsive/intentional during gear changes - also much smoother during low speed maneuvers.

More updates whenever the story advances...
Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #26
Official Ford Rep

Points 10,771, Level 68
Level Up 81% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Meagan - sent you a PM - please let me know if you got it since my mailbox is still showing 0 outgoing/sent.

Just got an update from the dealer (who has been very helpful so far) that I did indeed have a TCM failure.

For the record, I'm in a 2015 Focus rental right now (go figure) and it feels completely different and more confident and responsive/intentional during gear changes - also much smoother during low speed maneuvers.

More updates whenever the story advances...
Thanks for following up, I do have a message from you. :)

Meagan

t:

f:

Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #27
Focus Rookie

Points 308, Level 6
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
TCM replacement update

Wanted to update you guys-

Got my TCM replaced and was back in my car much quicker than I thought would happen. Meagan was great about jumping on it here at the forum and my dealer was actually done with the repair before the customer service case/ticket was even issued!

So far, so good on the new TCM. Although it is hard to differentiate the effects of the TCM replacement and TCM/PCM reprogram. The shifts feel different and improved; there are now slightly different engagement zones from the feel through the pedal. The shifting also feels less "jumpy" and more like it wants to stick with whatever gear it has just changed to.

No "safe shutdown" (losing power, "going into neutral") type stalling events have happened since the repair but it has only been about 3 days and it only happened 3 times over the course of a month before that.

I hope it's ok to put out positive recommendations: Mary Albee and Palmetto Ford Charleston SC were great to work with and on point the whole time with frequent contact and everything.

Will update if anything changes.

...amazingly, I now want/need to go make sure that this customer service case reflects well on Mary and the dealership...
Old 02-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #28
Official Ford Rep

Points 10,771, Level 68
Level Up 81% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Wanted to update you guys-

Got my TCM replaced and was back in my car much quicker than I thought would happen. Meagan was great about jumping on it here at the forum and my dealer was actually done with the repair before the customer service case/ticket was even issued!

So far, so good on the new TCM. Although it is hard to differentiate the effects of the TCM replacement and TCM/PCM reprogram. The shifts feel different and improved; there are now slightly different engagement zones from the feel through the pedal. The shifting also feels less "jumpy" and more like it wants to stick with whatever gear it has just changed to.

No "safe shutdown" (losing power, "going into neutral") type stalling events have happened since the repair but it has only been about 3 days and it only happened 3 times over the course of a month before that.

I hope it's ok to put out positive recommendations: Mary Albee and Palmetto Ford Charleston SC were great to work with and on point the whole time with frequent contact and everything.

Will update if anything changes.

...amazingly, I now want/need to go make sure that this customer service case reflects well on Mary and the dealership...
I'll be happy to document your feedback for your dealer. I already have all your info, so I'll get right on it. :)

Meagan

t:

f:

Old 02-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #29
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119661
What I Drive: 2014 SGM DCT Focus SE (sedan)

Points 806, Level 15
Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 4mikebruns Good Standing Member
Ford doesnt care about us, I've figured that out by now as I'm on my 3rd focus and its still a lemon....My last one (2014 SE DCT) had the issue of neutral while in drive or any other position for that matter...happened while I was driving. Dealer came out and performed a master reset on the spot and then it drove. They still took it to the dealership and the computer found nothing wrong with it...BUT...they RESET my car prior to diagnostics....how is that FAIR? Big Ford wouldnt help me with a negative equity assist on another vehicle, but the dealer bought it back for its sale price minus the rebates and stuck me with over 7k in negative equity...(mind you this was my 2nd one so i had now 2 cars of neg equity) The only car that could offset with any rebates was another 2014 Focus SE...Everything was fine til 3 months ago my "transmission fault service now" light began coming on randomly...Ive had the occasionlka shutter and rattle...lag in response...the car even held the throttle fo rme for 3 extra seconds after letting off a few times (how fun)...the light disappears during that drive or when i turn the car off, I cuaght a pic of it once. The dealer cant see me for over 1 month due to the transmission dept being backed up....I WONDER WHY!? SO how many Focus's do i have to buy that all have transmission issues before I can be set free from the Burden FORD gave to me....I have an open case AGAIN...that probably will make it NO WHERE. I will be contacting the media soon. We can see how that goes...

EDIT: mind you my 2nd one only had 500 miles and 1 week...and my current one started having issues at 7000 miles...
Old 02-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #30
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94536
What I Drive: 2006 Rosso Red Focus Trend M/T

Points 379, Level 7
Points: 379, Level: 7 Points: 379, Level: 7 Points: 379, Level: 7
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 AM222 Good Standing Member
Has Ford taken any action on new Fiesta and Focus models to prevent TCM failures?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in