Ford Focus & Fiesta Powershift Dual Clutch TCM Failure Symptoms - Page 20 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #191
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 159346
What I Drive: 2014, Oxford White Focus SE

Points 55, Level 1
Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Grizzled Bastard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2014 SE Hatch w/DCT Powershift with 51k. Wife's car, bought new in Apr '14. First entire clutch assy replaced at 20k and TCM updates done. In for TCM reflashes and shudder issues a couple times since the first. Car was recently back to severe shudders and 2 weeks ago, I'm 150 miles from home, leaving an event to drive all the way home and as I accelerate, the car shudders violently and goes to neutral condition just as I make a left turn crossing oncoming traffic! I'm dead in the water and just barely coast out of the way of a truck and all the panel lights go crazy with Service Trans Immediately-see dealer. I sit just off the edge for about 5 minutes after shutting down and restarting. Suddenly I feel it nudge when put in drive and it accelerates forward.

I'm in the boondocks with no services nearby so I figure since its going forward, I start aiming towards civilization, and hopefully a dealer, but it's 4:30 on a Friday afternoon. As I limp, it pops out again 3 times in about 5 miles. On the last go, it hangs on for about 10 miles as we reach the outskirts of town and the freeway I would be headed home on. My 2 passengers were troopers and positive thinkers and the consensus is "go for it" and head south. I hit the freeway and heavy but flowing traffic. It wasn't shifting beyond maybe 4th as I was running at 50-60 at about 3500-4k rpm. 20 miles down the line it pops out again and, of course, I'm cruising the #2 lane so I coast off and stop. 10 minutes later it goes back into gear so off we go. I'm getting panel lights each time it does the process. I have only 35 mile range on my tow service and the logistics of getting me and my passengers home wasn't looking fun from the get go and as crazy as it was, we went for broke. We drove for a solid hour on pins and needles the whole way and it quit again about 60 miles from home but within my tow range to a dealer in my county. I called for a tow and they had to find a provider to come get us so we sat for an hour. This time, I tried to restart right away and the car freaked. It wouldn't turn over, the panel lights were out, and the trans locked in Park. I figured we were done for good but at least we were much closer.

An hour later,still no tow company contacted, I tried again and everything came alive and off we went. I got well into my northern county towns and called the tow and cancelled and she said she had just found a provider but we cancelled. As soon as I hung up. POP! Out again. By now, I was done. We were inside my 35 miles so I could get it delivered to my dealer where my good friend is a GM and the other is a Service Manager. We called it and my passengers got picked up by one of their wives and road it out with the tow guy and dropped the car off in the driveway at the dealer at 10pm.

The TCM completely failed. Warranty replaced it and clutch tested "within acceptable shudder limits" as it stated. Can you believe we have an "acceptable" shudder in this trans? Frikin' comical. My friends at the dealer told me it was imperative I dump the car and I've known that since 20k when it first went bad. I just received my Ford Buy Back documents yesterday and proceeding with that route as well as having talked to a Lemon Law Atty that says I'm pretty golden on that front as it looks. My dealer has done numerous buy-backs and he told me today the cars have all been picked up by auto recyclers and crushed to bits when the paperwork is done. Right where they belong. We're looking at moving into a new Escape...unless I'm forced to go lemon law. Then, after 35 solid years of buying business and personal Fords, we'll be moving into some other mfg's camp. We'll see how this all plays out.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #192
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 100,043, Level 100
Points: 100,043, Level: 100 Points: 100,043, Level: 100 Points: 100,043, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
I have 2 DCT and love them

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #193
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112467
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL Sedan

Points 133, Level 2
Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Casbs_12 Good Standing Member
Before my story I'd like to state that I really like my Focus, one of the best cars I've ever owned. 180k miles, no major issues, low cost of ownership, and I've had a good experience with the DCT. OK, here goes:

Over past year or so I've been getting a couple yellow warning lights during startup. The parking sensor and hill-assist warnings. I'm a simple kinda guy so as long as the car starts it's more of an annoyance than anything. I'd have to turn ignition on/off a couple of times or it would just start after a 2-3 second delay. I read up on it so wasnít too concerned and decided to just live with it due to mileage/age of car. No biggie, right?

Well yesterday driving home in the pouring rain, on the highway, next to a semi, the car flashes a red light ďTRANSMISSION FAILUREĒ and goes into neutral. Engine revs but trans isnít engaged. I already planning to get off at the first exit so I just coast to the shoulder and turn the car off. Re-start, I get the same yellow warnings and the red ďFAILUREĒ light but the car goes into gear and I pull up to the light at the end of the exit. Car wonít move, thinks itís in neutral. Repeat the on/off trick and limp my way to the dealership in 2nd gear (made 5 green lights in a row Ė donít ask how I pulled that off). Park at the dealer but canít get it re-started - it thinks itís in reverse gear when itís actually in park so itís basically DOA. OK, dude I feel you it's been a long day I'm tired too.

I tell service tech that based on my expertise research Iím 100% certain this is an electronic problem with the transmission control module. There was a recall on it a few years ago where they did a re-flash (which I had done) and extended the warranty to 150k miles. Blah blah, I'm sure they've heard it a million times from a million idiot owners. Shut it moron and let the experts work.

Ironically I was reading about this ďTRANS FAILUREĒ message yesterday and thinking how lucky Iíve been that Iíve had no real problems with the trans since Iíve owned it. Thanks for the karma fellas. Appreciate it.

Anyway, car has 180K and is out of warranty so I figure I'm F'd on the costs. The part itself it ~$400 on Fordparts (backordered) and Iím having a dealership give me an estimate on the fix. From what I've seen the module just bolts to the outside of the trans and plugs in but theyíd have to remove a couple things (air filter, battery) to get to the bolts. But then again, this is a dealership charging a "trans technician" 3-figure labor rates so my guessÖ.it'll be $1K+ repair.

Got the call today. $660 out the door. Bam, done. Thank you Lord. Looking forward to the next 180K, bring it on!

Last edited by Casbs_12; 07-17-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 05:10 PM   #194
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 404631
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 DallasFocus Good Standing Member
Hi everyone, first timer here. Glad (and not so glad) to see I'm not the only with the prior TCM issues. That being said, I've put a ton of miles my Focus and practically drive a road-trips worth of miles every day for work.

Anyways, haven't seen this posted here unless I missed it. I had issues similar to many here (what felt like clutch slippage and intermittent transmission warning light, constant CEL) around 2 years ago at 107k miles. Dealer replaced the TCM under the extended warranty and the techs notes say "retrieved DTCs, replaced TCM and reprogrammed." I assume this means the TCM was replaced and they did the reflash with the updated software. The part #AE8Z7Z369F is listed.

Fast forward to today, with just over 220k miles on the car, and I'm having almost identical issues. I'm assuming I'm in need of another TCM, and i'm now out of the extended warranty period. The question is, since the TCM was reprogrammed previously, can I simply replace the TCM with the same part (#AE8Z7Z369), without having to reprogram? Or is a reprogram needed each and every time the TCM is replaced?

Thank you in advance.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in