14M01 Ford Dual Clutch Warranty Extension Details and New TSB Clutch Parts! - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree305Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #41
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 5,886, Level 49
Points: 5,886, Level: 49 Points: 5,886, Level: 49 Points: 5,886, Level: 49
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sship View Post
Does anyone know when the "Rev D" clutch packs came out? I, for one, had a "Rev D" clutch pack installed in September 2013 -- after the June 2013 build date cutoff -- though my 2013 SE was built in October 2012. And yet, that Rev D clutch still need to be replaced due to fluid leaking. They replaced it just this week, but used the same clutch pack (Rev D) and input shaft seals (part numbers line up) as they did in September 2013. However, they said the culprit this time was a different seal, which they claim to have fixed this time as opposed to last time. So I am hoping and praying that the reason "Rev D" and its new seals did not work for me the first time was that the fix was not complete, as opposed to that the Rev D clutch pack and seals do not get the job done.

Has anyone else had a Rev D repair, post-June 2013, which has since failed and been re-done? If so, did the dealer tell you why?
I don't understand your many references to the clutch assembly since (in your case) the culprit was a leaking shaft seal.

These are 2 different parts with 2 entirely different functions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #42
Focus Addict

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2015 Ingot Silver SE

Points 9,486, Level 65
Points: 9,486, Level: 65 Points: 9,486, Level: 65 Points: 9,486, Level: 65
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 8 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I don't understand your many references to the clutch assembly since (in your case) the culprit was a leaking shaft seal.

These are 2 different parts with 2 entirely different functions.
There are 2 shaft seals on the DCT right? One for the outer shaft / case, and one for the inner vs. outer shaft?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #43
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107635
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE HB Silver w/blk clth

FF Reputation: 1 sship Good Standing Member
I think you are missing the point. They replaced the clutch (Rev D) and input shaft seals this week with the same parts they used 9 months ago. That obviously did not do the trick. But, this time they say they replaced yet another (third) seal, which they contend was the culprit after the first fix.

I don't know what to believe. One possibility is that everything they say is true, in which case I should just be confident that the first fix (Rev D Clutch, input shaft seals) would have worked had it not been for the leak to the third mystery seal. But let's say that explanation is wrong, and this third seal has nothing to do with it, really -- then it would seem that whatever they did last time with Rev D clutch and seals has already crapped out of its own accord within 9 months. If that is true, then I am 9 months from another fracas. That is my fear.

So, if it were really the case that most people with Rev D clutches and seals have found that the fix has worked for them long term, that would put me at ease and make me feel like this fix might stick and it really was this third mystery seal that messed up the first fix and has now been corrected. BUT if others say that their Rev D clutches/seals have acted up post-repair, that makes me think that it is just a matter of time before I am back at the shop for Rev F.

And before you say anything, yes I realize that the seals and clutch assembly are different parts, and that was Ford has said is that the leak contaminates the clutches, such that the clutches need to be replaced but the culprit is the leaking seal. However, I have also read on these boards that Rev F comes as a whole kit and kaboodle (clutch assembly + seals), suggesting to me that maybe the seals have been updated for the Rev F clutch assembly? If that is true, then I do not have the most current version of the seals either. And that leads me to believe that another leak is lurking down the road.

Does that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #44
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,991, Level 26
Points: 1,991, Level: 26 Points: 1,991, Level: 26 Points: 1,991, Level: 26
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
There was some ambiguity in the original post from the member that is the Ford mechanic as to whether the seals were just recently updated again in addition to the update to the clutch pack. I watched his video a couple times and still am not sure if that is what he intended.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #45
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34231
What I Drive: 01' Focus LX

Points 6,840, Level 54
Points: 6,840, Level: 54 Points: 6,840, Level: 54 Points: 6,840, Level: 54
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 12 makuloco2000 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOld View Post
There are 2 shaft seals on the DCT right? One for the outer shaft / case, and one for the inner vs. outer shaft?
Yes see them here-
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
There was some ambiguity in the original post from the member that is the Ford mechanic as to whether the seals were just recently updated again in addition to the update to the clutch pack. I watched his video a couple times and still am not sure if that is what he intended.
Yes the seals change part numbers again from C to D now.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:41 AM   #46
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,991, Level 26
Points: 1,991, Level: 26 Points: 1,991, Level: 26 Points: 1,991, Level: 26
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by makuloco2000 View Post

Thank you. Were there any obvious differences you could see between them?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #47
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Fusion Ecoboost

Points 17,788, Level 84
Points: 17,788, Level: 84 Points: 17,788, Level: 84 Points: 17,788, Level: 84
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
You won't necessarily see a leak from the shaft seals without opening the transmission housing.
True. A lot of them leak internally
Old 07-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #48
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 5,886, Level 49
Points: 5,886, Level: 49 Points: 5,886, Level: 49 Points: 5,886, Level: 49
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sship View Post
I think you are missing the point. They replaced the clutch (Rev D) and input shaft seals this week with the same parts they used 9 months ago. That obviously did not do the trick. But, this time they say they replaced yet another (third) seal, which they contend was the culprit after the first fix.

I don't know what to believe. One possibility is that everything they say is true, in which case I should just be confident that the first fix (Rev D Clutch, input shaft seals) would have worked had it not been for the leak to the third mystery seal. But let's say that explanation is wrong, and this third seal has nothing to do with it, really -- then it would seem that whatever they did last time with Rev D clutch and seals has already crapped out of its own accord within 9 months. If that is true, then I am 9 months from another fracas. That is my fear.

So, if it were really the case that most people with Rev D clutches and seals have found that the fix has worked for them long term, that would put me at ease and make me feel like this fix might stick and it really was this third mystery seal that messed up the first fix and has now been corrected. BUT if others say that their Rev D clutches/seals have acted up post-repair, that makes me think that it is just a matter of time before I am back at the shop for Rev F.

And before you say anything, yes I realize that the seals and clutch assembly are different parts, and that was Ford has said is that the leak contaminates the clutches, such that the clutches need to be replaced but the culprit is the leaking seal. However, I have also read on these boards that Rev F comes as a whole kit and kaboodle (clutch assembly + seals), suggesting to me that maybe the seals have been updated for the Rev F clutch assembly? If that is true, then I do not have the most current version of the seals either. And that leads me to believe that another leak is lurking down the road.

Does that make sense?
My point was this:

When the shaft seal leaks, all bets are off so any details about the clutch assembly become irrelevant.

A "rev. D" clutch assembly can be contaminated by oil just as the older ones can.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #49
Focus Addict

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2015 Ingot Silver SE

Points 9,486, Level 65
Points: 9,486, Level: 65 Points: 9,486, Level: 65 Points: 9,486, Level: 65
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 8 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by makuloco2000 View Post
Yes see them here-
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Have you ever witnessed or heard of a DCT clutch shuddering (chattering?) that has not had leaking seals?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #50
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107635
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE HB Silver w/blk clth

FF Reputation: 1 sship Good Standing Member
To Kabigon:

True as it goes re clutch assembly version being irrelevant once seals leak, but it doesn't answer the concern, which is: Does the new TSB (with the "Rev F" clutch pack) include new, improved seals? Because my second "Rev D" clutch replacement included replacement seals with the same part numbers as the first time they gave me new clutches. This does not give me confidence that my new seals will work -- they are the same as the old ones, which apparently did not, unless, in fact, my new leak was the result of the "main" seal which is something different (obviously I am not an engineer).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in