2012+ Transmission Shudder Issue Explained - Page 92 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree153Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 05:21 AM   #911
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358873
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE

Points 435, Level 8
Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FordFailus2016 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadFocus View Post
I agree that it seems early, but certainly others seem to have had shudder pretty early on, too. This was my third set and the fastest to fail so far.

I understand that the severity differs from car to car, and sensitivity to it from person to person. My shudder has never really been as bad as a lot of other people (like you) have described. But maybe that's because I've been able to feel it early and get them replaced before they get worse, I don't know.

I think that, by definition, my choice of words is perfectly accurate. If you have some data proving that Tom's tune - when used solely to prevent shudder in the first place - works for everyone, I'd like to see it. If you can't provide that, then yes, I am correct in saying that it will help in "some" cases. Not all. Not even the "vast majority", unless you have some evidence supporting the statement. I will say that I believe it reduces existing shudder for the simple majority, though.

I understand why he doesn't guarantee a fix and I'm not saying that he should. All I've said is that exact thing: that Tom's tune is not a guaranteed fix and so people should decide if it's worth a shot or just throwing good money after bad.

And that's fine. Clearly for you, Tom's tune was a worthwhile investment. For me, it was a total waste of money. I am clearly one of those with a bad transmission - since I've had my clutches replaced 3 times - even though at no time was the shudder especially severe, it has failed the diagnostic each time.

If Tom's tune can't prevent that from happening, it clearly isn't perfect. And I don't expect it to be. I only came here to say that people should be aware that it's won't necessarily fix their car, even though Tom would have you believe otherwise (though he's clear that if your clutches are too far gone, it may not help). I had new clutches that he couldn't help. It seems to me that his tune isn't as refined as he'd have you believe, and so people should keep their expectations in check.

I'm working with him to get a better setup for my car, so maybe "this time" it will work. Honestly, my biggest complaint is that he never made it clear that this was a multi-step process, otherwise I would have just sent him data half a dozen times so he could refine the programming, instead of relying on his first attempt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadFocus View Post
I agree that it seems early, but certainly others seem to have had shudder pretty early on, too. This was my third set and the fastest to fail so far.

I understand that the severity differs from car to car, and sensitivity to it from person to person. My shudder has never really been as bad as a lot of other people (like you) have described. But maybe that's because I've been able to feel it early and get them replaced before they get worse, I don't know.

I think that, by definition, my choice of words is perfectly accurate. If you have some data proving that Tom's tune - when used solely to prevent shudder in the first place - works for everyone, I'd like to see it. If you can't provide that, then yes, I am correct in saying that it will help in "some" cases. Not all. Not even the "vast majority", unless you have some evidence supporting the statement. I will say that I believe it reduces existing shudder for the simple majority, though.

I understand why he doesn't guarantee a fix and I'm not saying that he should. All I've said is that exact thing: that Tom's tune is not a guaranteed fix and so people should decide if it's worth a shot or just throwing good money after bad.

And that's fine. Clearly for you, Tom's tune was a worthwhile investment. For me, it was a total waste of money. I am clearly one of those with a bad transmission - since I've had my clutches replaced 3 times - even though at no time was the shudder especially severe, it has failed the diagnostic each time.

If Tom's tune can't prevent that from happening, it clearly isn't perfect. And I don't expect it to be. I only came here to say that people should be aware that it's won't necessarily fix their car, even though Tom would have you believe otherwise (though he's clear that if your clutches are too far gone, it may not help). I had new clutches that he couldn't help. It seems to me that his tune isn't as refined as he'd have you believe, and so people should keep their expectations in check.

I'm working with him to get a better setup for my car, so maybe "this time" it will work. Honestly, my biggest complaint is that he never made it clear that this was a multi-step process, otherwise I would have just sent him data half a dozen times so he could refine the programming, instead of relying on his first attempt.
All I'm saying is that I had clutches with severe shudder and the tune made a huge difference. I could be wrong but you seem to be moreso saying that the tune isn't a fix. Those are 2 different points entirely. I haven't seen enough to say it's a cure. But I've seen more than enough to show that it will absolutely help with shudder, given I had so many miles on my clutches already. I don't think I've heard one person say it didn't help the issue. I don't at all think Tom is off base when he says it will help.

I did message someone here who, a couple years ago, had new clutches put in and did a tune. I asked him if he had shudder and he said he did. So I'm actually not confident it can entirely prevent the issue. All I'm saying is it absolutely makes a difference. I've seen it myself. The person who I messaged also didn't tell me to what degree they had shudder.

Really, this may sound ridiculous, but if a DCT is hardly shuddering (basically not detectable really) and it stays that way I think that person has little reason to complain. The issue almost always gets worse and worse. However we also have people online who claim they put 60k + miles on theirs and say they still don't have shudder. Without a tune even. I don't understand how that's possible or how the hell you could get that lucky. It's a widespread issue.

I'm not sure though. I haven't drove your car, but I'd be willing to bet you could hardly feel that shudder at 9k miles. I will be monitoring my new clutches. They have about 2,000 miles on them. Tune installed before 200 mi.

I listen to all experiences. You'd need a poll/consensus for the tune. It's kinda hard to prove anecdotes on an internet forum. Plus, we are a tiny fraction of all DCT owners.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using FF Mobile
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 09:27 PM   #912
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 100,800, Level 100
Points: 100,800, Level: 100 Points: 100,800, Level: 100 Points: 100,800, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
My Custom Tune IS NOT A FIX ALL , I can improve the shudder to cure it , I have NEVER stated that my Custom Tune 100% fixes the shudder

Tom
FordFailus2016 likes this.
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #913
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 6,136, Level 50
Points: 6,136, Level: 50 Points: 6,136, Level: 50 Points: 6,136, Level: 50
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossreilly View Post
Dose anyone know of the best way to fix this issue. I get the real bad shudder when pulling off. It feels horrendous, would love to get this fixed.

Regards

What year is your Focus & how many miles? I have the same shudder & some days itís worse than others. Mines a Ď13 with 42k miles & itís had clutch replaced, new TCM, flash updates etc., & none of that made any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #914
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 100,800, Level 100
Points: 100,800, Level: 100 Points: 100,800, Level: 100 Points: 100,800, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
My Tune can help your shudder issues and has helped hundreds of Customers

Ford dealerships and used car lots selling used Foci are my biggest Customers

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #915
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104928
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Sport+

Points 992, Level 16
Points: 992, Level: 16 Points: 992, Level: 16 Points: 992, Level: 16
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 reverendhtc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
My Tune can help your shudder issues and has helped hundreds of Customers

Ford dealerships and used car lots selling used Foci are my biggest Customers

Tom
Wow. Interesting. So some Ford dealers are selling cars with your tune.

Wonder how that works with warranty work ... or are they all out of warranty?

The buyer has to know otherwise what happens if another Ford dealer flashes the ECU and changes the strategy?
Old 11-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #916
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 6,136, Level 50
Points: 6,136, Level: 50 Points: 6,136, Level: 50 Points: 6,136, Level: 50
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
In my case, my car has zero warranty left because itís a 2013, so Iím sure the tune would likely help, but I just wish I was closer to Tom, so I could just left him drive my car & do all of the programming for me. Iím clueless when it comes to that stuff so Iíd be afraid that Iíd screw something up.

In the meantime, Ford did extend that one-time clutch repair until Feb. 2020, so I plan I dropping my car off one last time. Iím not opposed to buying a Focus ST, but the mileage would have to be under 10k & it would have to have a lot of warranty left.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in