2012+ Transmission Shudder Issue Explained - Page 91 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree153Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #901
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358873
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE

Points 435, Level 8
Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FordFailus2016 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
I honestly have no idea what Ford is doing & Iíve given up. The car has zero resale value so Iím stuck with it unless I basically go to Carmax & give it away. So for now Iíll just keep it & sputter around all week long until I eventually decide to buy something else, however the size & style of the MK3 is something I really like. Iíd probably buy the Focus RS but I canít get over the prices on those things.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I'm confident Tom's tune will extend the life of the transmission greatly. You can feel the slip they program into it on on the stock tune, even without the shudder present.

I was told it's so the launch feels more comfortable. Seems immensely dumb if you ask me. Even if a custom tune is less comfortable (and Tom's is the opposite) I'd take reliability over a comfortable launch any day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using FF Mobile
Arco-Zakus likes this.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 05:04 AM   #902
Focus Enthusiast

Points 435, Level 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Has anyone else had their car randomly surge while driving? Was on my way to work this morning and the car revved from 2-3k while cruising.

I swear, these cars. They're so weird. A quick Google and quora question said something about transmission solenoid. Hopefully the damn TCM isn't starting to go out again. Was replaced in February of 2017 while rental agency owned it.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #903
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 417019
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Rossreilly Good Standing Member
Ford focus 1.6 powershift

Dose anyone know of the best way to fix this issue. I get the real bad shudder when pulling off. It feels horrendous, would love to get this fixed.
Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #904
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 1,057, Level 17
Points: 1,057, Level: 17 Points: 1,057, Level: 17 Points: 1,057, Level: 17
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossreilly View Post
Dose anyone know of the best way to fix this issue. I get the real bad shudder when pulling off. It feels horrendous, would love to get this fixed.
Regards
These are the only real "fixes":
  1. If you have a 2012 or 2013, get a new TCM (the unit, which odds are is still under the extended warranty)
  2. Get the latest TCM software (whether you have a new TCM or not, have them check it)
  3. Get a new clutch pack (if you're still under warranty, otherwise it's gonna be pricey)
Caveat: the above doesn't really fix the overarching issue, which is that the DPS6 is complete garbage. If it's shuddering now, it will shudder again eventually.

If you're no longer under warranty for new clutches, you could try doing a clutch scrub.

Regardless, some (or all) of these might help:
  1. Drive "intentionally" (no creeping in heavy traffic, and be consistent with your throttle)
  2. Use "Sport" mode (you can enable this using an ODBII adapter and FORscan if your car doesn't have it already) when in traffic with frequent start and stop
  3. Pay $462 for Tom's tune (he claims this fixes the transmission like magic, but the fact is that while it is almost certainly better than the stock software, there's no guarantee that he'll "fix" the DPS6 with it)
Pokerrun388 likes this.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #905
Focus Enthusiast

Points 435, Level 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossreilly View Post

Regards
If you really want to keep the car, I'd definitely recommend Tom's tune. Even if it isn't perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than whatever Ford did with the stock software.

I took the tune off and drove around for 45 minutes 2 different directions. Car shuddered horrendously. Loaded the tune back in and a couple minutes later it smooths way the hell out.

1turbofocus likes this.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #906
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414245
Points 2, Level 1
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 SadFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFailus2016 View Post
If you really want to keep the car, I'd definitely recommend Tom's tune. Even if it isn't perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than whatever Ford did with the stock software.

I took the tune off and drove around for 45 minutes 2 different directions. Car shuddered horrendously. Loaded the tune back in and a couple minutes later it smooths way the hell out.
I had a very different experience. In preparation for hitting the 60,000 mile transmission warranty limit, I bought and used Tom's on a new set of clutches.

9,000 miles later, I had my car in for the fuel tank recall and they tested the transmission. It failed the diagnostic and they put in a new set of clutches under the extended warranty.

So Tom's tune didn't really do anything. The car didn't really drive badly before the tune or after, so I didn't really know anything was up. Tom never mentioned that I was supposed to contact him multiple times to refine the tune, and he told me I should have told him it was having trouble. But it wasn't, really.

I think Tom doesn't do a very good job communicating the procedure, but aside from that, I don't blame him. I don't mean to say that the tune doesn't work for some people, either. It clearly does. But I also think that the programming is only part of the problem and he can't do anything about the sucky transmission. The tune isn't a true fix, it just helps in some cases. It's a personal decision whether $460 for the tune is worth a potential fix, or if it's throwing good money after bad.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #907
Focus Enthusiast

Points 435, Level 8
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadFocus View Post
I had a very different experience. In preparation for hitting the 60,000 mile transmission warranty limit, I bought and used Tom's on a new set of clutches.

9,000 miles later, I had my car in for the fuel tank recall and they tested the transmission. It failed the diagnostic and they put in a new set of clutches under the extended warranty.

So Tom's tune didn't really do anything. The car didn't really drive badly before the tune or after, so I didn't really know anything was up. Tom never mentioned that I was supposed to contact him multiple times to refine the tune, and he told me I should have told him it was having trouble. But it wasn't, really.

I think Tom doesn't do a very good job communicating the procedure, but aside from that, I don't blame him. I don't mean to say that the tune doesn't work for some people, either. It clearly does. But I also think that the programming is only part of the problem and he can't do anything about the sucky transmission. The tune isn't a true fix, it just helps in some cases. It's a personal decision whether $460 for the tune is worth a potential fix, or if it's throwing good money after bad.
So the car wasn't having any real issues, yet it failed the diagnostic? 9,000 miles seems early for any kind of clutch shudder.

You also need to keep in mind that those were damn near brand new clutches for you. My car had 31,000 mile clutches before I got the tune. I'm not talking about shudder you can't feel. I'm talking the car shaking so bad that it starts to blur your vision. When I flash his tune back and a couple minutes later it drives astonishingly better, it's clear Ford isn't doing something right. However I get what you're saying. I'd like an explanation of why 250 RPM and below is considered "normal". Seems to me there shouldn't be any shudder.

I think your choice of words isn't great though. "Helps In some cases" clearly isn't accurate. It helps the vast majority of DCTs out there based on peoples experiences. It could remain near that 250 threshold and someone might not know it while they have the tune. He doesn't guarantee a fix and I think that's the correct approach because there can be many variables.

Even if the tune does significantly help/cure shudder, it doesn't mean I'm defending Ford or saying it's a fantastic transmission. I still don't trust they've fixed the TCM issues either. Ford seems to have no answers.

$462 isn't a small amount of money, but if you're in a loan still like me and it might make your car drive better, why not? I've got new clutches with 1700 miles on them and will form a final conclusion on both the tune and the transmission with time. I'm one of the people who was too naive to research what I was buying. For the DCT, it's a cruel way to learn a lesson. That said, the car has gotten me from point A to point B for over 2 years now with no major issues. They may have also rescued me when they replaced my TCM without it failing first.

I absolutely will NOT drive this car in stock form. It's an annoying and embarrassing experience and I'm glad this community at least has Tom. Ford sure can't do a thing about it.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #908
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414245
Points 2, Level 1
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 SadFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
So the car wasn't having any real issues, yet it failed the diagnostic? 9,000 miles seems early for any kind of clutch shudder.
I agree that it seems early, but certainly others seem to have had shudder pretty early on, too. This was my third set and the fastest to fail so far.

Quote:
You also need to keep in mind that those were damn near brand new clutches for you. My car had 31,000 mile clutches before I got the tune. I'm not talking about shudder you can't feel. I'm talking the car shaking so bad that it starts to blur your vision. When I flash his tune back and a couple minutes later it drives astonishingly better, it's clear Ford isn't doing something right. However I get what you're saying. I'd like an explanation of why 250 RPM and below is considered "normal". Seems to me there shouldn't be any shudder.
I understand that the severity differs from car to car, and sensitivity to it from person to person. My shudder has never really been as bad as a lot of other people (like you) have described. But maybe that's because I've been able to feel it early and get them replaced before they get worse, I don't know.

Quote:
I think your choice of words isn't great though. "Helps In some cases" clearly isn't accurate. It helps the vast majority of DCTs out there based on peoples experiences. It could remain near that 250 threshold and someone might not know it while they have the tune. He doesn't guarantee a fix and I think that's the correct approach because there can be many variables.
I think that, by definition, my choice of words is perfectly accurate. If you have some data proving that Tom's tune - when used solely to prevent shudder in the first place - works for everyone, I'd like to see it. If you can't provide that, then yes, I am correct in saying that it will help in "some" cases. Not all. Not even the "vast majority", unless you have some evidence supporting the statement. I will say that I believe it reduces existing shudder for the simple majority, though.

I understand why he doesn't guarantee a fix and I'm not saying that he should. All I've said is that exact thing: that Tom's tune is not a guaranteed fix and so people should decide if it's worth a shot or just throwing good money after bad.

Quote:
I absolutely will NOT drive this car in stock form. It's an annoying and embarrassing experience and I'm glad this community at least has Tom. Ford sure can't do a thing about it.
And that's fine. Clearly for you, Tom's tune was a worthwhile investment. For me, it was a total waste of money. I am clearly one of those with a bad transmission - since I've had my clutches replaced 3 times - even though at no time was the shudder especially severe, it has failed the diagnostic each time.

If Tom's tune can't prevent that from happening, it clearly isn't perfect. And I don't expect it to be. I only came here to say that people should be aware that it's won't necessarily fix their car, even though Tom would have you believe otherwise (though he's clear that if your clutches are too far gone, it may not help). I had new clutches that he couldn't help. It seems to me that his tune isn't as refined as he'd have you believe, and so people should keep their expectations in check.

I'm working with him to get a better setup for my car, so maybe "this time" it will work. Honestly, my biggest complaint is that he never made it clear that this was a multi-step process, otherwise I would have just sent him data half a dozen times so he could refine the programming, instead of relying on his first attempt.

Last edited by SadFocus; 10-30-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #909
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 1,057, Level 17
Points: 1,057, Level: 17 Points: 1,057, Level: 17 Points: 1,057, Level: 17
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
I mean, nothing is perfect. I used to be skeptical of Tom and his tune, but now that I understand that the real failure of the DPS6 is equal parts hardware and software, I understand how he can help.

And for the same reason that Ford can't use a one-size-fits-all method for software, Tom needs data to create a custom program that is optimized for the individual transmission.

That said, I've seen the "Tom isn't great at communicating" thing a couple of times. It seems that he just kinda thinks everyone knows what to do and he doesn't bother explaining it, though he'll answer specific questions well enough.

Full disclosure: I say this without any experience working with Tom or his tune. I was going to get it once my transmission warranty expired, but now that it's been upped by another 2 years and 40k miles, I'm going to let Ford keep replacing my clutch packs until I get closer to the limit.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #910
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 100,853, Level 100
Points: 100,853, Level: 100 Points: 100,853, Level: 100 Points: 100,853, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 89%
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadFocus View Post

Did you send me any datalogs or let me know you were having issues ?

If you look at the email with the base Tune it says to datalog and send me the logs first thing right at the top , If I had spent 462.00 and it wasnt helping I would of contacted the person and asked for help and to see if there was anything else he could do before coming in here putting my Tune down that has actually helped HUNDREDS of DTC Customers

What I tell people is I can drastically help or cure there shudder issues , I dont say its a cure , some I help 40% and some 100% there all different , I have never had a Customer that has my DTC Tune that followed the steps and didnt say it helped , you might be the first but did you follow the steps and send me logs ?

On top of all that you can put your Focus back to stock and sell the X4 Flasher for 300.00 easy and only be out 162.00 why enjoying better driveability , throttle response , shifting and most say better MPG

I cant help if I am not told there is an issue , My phone # , email , web site is in ever post so I am easy to get a hold of

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder 1turbofocus

Last edited by 1turbofocus; 10-30-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in