acceleration problem - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #31
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89132
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 pjhogan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I also got an email from ford service when I first posted my issue, but nothing ever happened. You have to be persistent with your service department. I went to storms ford in southampton, ny. You may not be able to go there but your dealer may be able to contact them.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #32
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106852
What I Drive: Red ZX5

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 kwkenf Good Standing Member
My 2014 Focus SE with under 700km is having this issue too. I sent Ford Service a PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #33
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 172801
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium Grey

FF Reputation: 1 clintonjim Good Standing Member
I've had my 2013 Ford Focus Titanium for a year and a half, 27k miles, and have made several visits to two different dealerships concerning this issue. I've noticed 3 things on a regular basis: the shudder (which seems to be getting worse) that leads to a hesitation when accelerating, a grinding or rattling sound (which I've been told is an actuator and is completely normal...I don't buy that), and I've actually experienced the car pop out of gear a few times. I've been told that nothing is wrong with the car. There are times where I'm nervous to make a move in traffic because I'm afraid the car will hesitate enough to where it won't accelerate fast enough. I am worried that once my warranty expires, something will be wrong. Wish this problem would be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #34
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 201313
Points 2, Level 1
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 LShal Good Standing Member
Same issue here!

My 2013 Focus jerks like this also. One dealership told me it is normal for this transmission to feel like it does when you are pulling a trailer and gave me a piece of paper explaining it. But, the paper said it was for manual transmissions. Mine is automatic. Another repair shop told me that it is because of the car adjusting to the driver, and when I have different people drive it has to re-adjust. He also said the car would give a code if something was wrong. I have just put up with it but wondered if it will totally break down. My dad is driving it today and insists that this is NOT RIGHT and that I need to bring it in again. I hope this can get fixed because I planned to keep this car 5-7 years. Besides, no one would want to buy it with the jerking even if I tried to sell it! It only has 16,000 mikes on it. Reading these posts helps me know I need to push the issue.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #35
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 191617
What I Drive: Na

Points 7, Level 1
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus033 Good Standing Member
I've had some of the same issues with my 14 Focus. Ford replaced the main seals, then the clutch; it's been in and out of the shop four times since September. Replacing the clutch helped with the shudder; however, I could still tell something wasn't quite right and it started making a weird noise on startup. Ford identified the rear exaust cat. mount was improperly installed. Fixing it made a very noticeable diffrence in the way my car performs at low speeds. I'm no mechanic, so I have no idea why it makes a diffrence, but I hope this info is helpful.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #36
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 10,771, Level 68
Points: 10,771, Level: 68 Points: 10,771, Level: 68 Points: 10,771, Level: 68
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LShal View Post
My 2013 Focus jerks like this also. One dealership told me it is normal for this transmission to feel like it does when you are pulling a trailer and gave me a piece of paper explaining it. But, the paper said it was for manual transmissions. Mine is automatic. Another repair shop told me that it is because of the car adjusting to the driver, and when I have different people drive it has to re-adjust. He also said the car would give a code if something was wrong. I have just put up with it but wondered if it will totally break down. My dad is driving it today and insists that this is NOT RIGHT and that I need to bring it in again. I hope this can get fixed because I planned to keep this car 5-7 years. Besides, no one would want to buy it with the jerking even if I tried to sell it! It only has 16,000 mikes on it. Reading these posts helps me know I need to push the issue.
Welcome to the forum!

The PowerShift 6 Speed Transmission is designed to provide the feel and efficiency of a manual transmission with the easy driving of an automatic. The PowerShift transmission automatically engages the next gear in anticipation of the shift, providing seamless shifting. It also has neutral idling, which disengages the transmission when sitting at idle, and helps to maximize fuel efficiency.

Because the PowerShift 6 Speed Transmission operates similarly to a manual transmission, you may notice some characteristics that provide a unique driving experience from the automatic transmission you may be used to:
  • When you take your foot off the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to slow down you may perceive a light to medium braking sensation as the transmissions makes adjustments.
  • During the break in period, the transmission may shift quicker or harder. This will smooth out after a short period of time.
  • You may hear mechanical noises when driving.
  • You may feel a difference when pulling away from a stop.

Some vehicles may also be equipped with Select Shift, which allows you to manually shift gears by selecting the plus and minus buttons on your vehicle's toggle switch when the vehicle is in the Sport Mode (S on the shift column).

You can find more information in your Owner Guide and by watching this video.

Meagan
MarcL likes this.

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

M - F 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #37
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 206769
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Beebs63 Good Standing Member
Hi my name is mike i have the same Shutter issue it got even worse when i installed the K&N air filter on it, I have a 2014 Focus SE
Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 PM   #38
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 217394
Points 7, Level 1
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Stutter1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhogan View Post
I have a 2012 Focus SE. When I accelerate from a dead stop or under 5 mph, the car jerks or stutters, like it is missing or clogged up. Sometimes it's more pronounced than others. I was having other issues which were fixed with the recall adjustment, but then this issue started after that visit. I took it to the dealer this week and they cannot find the problem. I had the tech ride with me so he could feel what I was feeling and he mentioned misfire. But the computer doesn't show anything. They called technical support but because no one else has reported this issue, they don't have a "fix". Logically if my car is the only one having this issue, then there is something wrong with my car! I am very frustrated. They suggested that I change my driving habits, so I tried that this morning and I still have the issue. I have an hour commute one way every day in stop and go traffic, so I get this stutter 99% of time. It makes me want to run the car off a cliff.
I just purchased a 2013 Focus and immediately began having the same problem. I took it in to see what the problem was. The lady riding the courtesy shuttle with me had the same problem with her Fiesta. She was told it was because Ford tried to do some quick trick with the onboard computer to turn a manual trannie into an automatic when they designed the car.
After servicing, my car still shutters a little on acceleration but doesn't buck anymore. Since they adjusted the computer, it now gets 4-5 less miles per gallon. I love the car otherwise. I feel really bad knowing this is a common problem with Fords and I'm just going to have to live with it.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #39
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 217394
Points 7, Level 1
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Stutter1 Good Standing Member
I posted a reply but it didn't get posted as I had to create an acct. first then my msg. disappeared. Anyway, I have the same problem with the 2013 Focus I just bought. I took it to the dealer a week after I bought it. I rode in the courtesy shuttle with a lady who had the same problem with her Fiesta. She was told it's bec. Ford did some quick trick to convert a manual transmission to an automatic using the onboard computer.
I got the car back from the dealer. It still shutters a little but doesn't jerk like it did. Only now it gets 4-5 mpg less than it did. I love the car otherwise. It's too bad this is something I'm just going to have to live with as it seems a design flaw and not fixable.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #40
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 10,771, Level 68
Points: 10,771, Level: 68 Points: 10,771, Level: 68 Points: 10,771, Level: 68
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutter1 View Post
I just purchased a 2013 Focus and immediately began having the same problem. I took it in to see what the problem was. The lady riding the courtesy shuttle with me had the same problem with her Fiesta. She was told it was because Ford tried to do some quick trick with the onboard computer to turn a manual trannie into an automatic when they designed the car.
After servicing, my car still shutters a little on acceleration but doesn't buck anymore. Since they adjusted the computer, it now gets 4-5 less miles per gallon. I love the car otherwise. I feel really bad knowing this is a common problem with Fords and I'm just going to have to live with it.
Are you planning on going back to your dealer to have this addressed again? Please let me know; I'll look into additional resources.

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

M - F 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in