transmission malfunction, service now - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #31
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 359537
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Se

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 R2d276 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Transmission Malfunction, Check engine light

I have had the same issue. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I jumpstarted someone else's car a week and a half ago. A couple days after, I had the check engine light come on and a power loss, I pulled over immediately and turned off the car. I drove it to my mechanic and he reset it with his fancy diagnostic computer.
Several days later, same thing except I got the "Transmission Malfunction" error message this time. I was able to drive it back to his shop at regular speeds, only the check engine light stayed on.
I'm wondering if anyone who has been having this issue before me has any updates on how this was resolved for them?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #32
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 368122
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus hatchback white

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 carlosmarrero1994 Good Standing Member
I am having the same issues now with the warning symbol and jerking, anyone know how much it would cost to have it fixed at the dealership? or if the transmission has to be replaced?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #33
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 359537
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Se

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 R2d276 Good Standing Member
Reply.Trans

I have had this several times now. I've had this occur about 4-5 times now, i lost exact count but all within the last 2 months or so. My girlfriends uncle works at Ford, he told me it is the Transmission Control Module and that it is covered by Ford up to 150,000 miles, you can look this up for yourself. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because the first couple times my mechanic friend reset the code. Then i found out about the coverage up to 150,000 miles and i havent made it to the dealer yet. Last time i kept driving with the check engine light on and the car acted normal and one day the check engine light went off on its own.
There is a link to the settlement and its conditions of coverage by Ford on the car complaints com website, google it, although you should probably be getting something in the mail as well (i have).

Please share any experiences you have if you take it to the dealer.

Also, I'm curious have you had just the check engine light come on or have you also had the "TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION ERROR"? I've had both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #34
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 389362
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

Points 4, Level 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 cmarie93 Good Standing Member
Transmission Malfunction

i have a 2012 FF SEL with about 101,600 approximate miles on it. It was raining pretty bad today and on the highway on my way to work i got the transmission malfunction service now notification. i had slowed down andn got off the high way and it happened again... I safely went another 20 mins to work but am unsure of a fix? i bought it from CarMax in July of 2017. Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:57 PM   #35
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 392066
What I Drive: Ford EcoSport

Points 4, Level 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 biswajittripathy Good Standing Member
I got this message too and Service Center says my parking sensor was on for which battery got drained and this isn't true at all.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #36
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 181153
What I Drive: 2015 Camry XSE

Points 659, Level 13
Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 NavyZX5 Good Standing Member
I got the "service trans now" message, and it was just driving on Interstate at 65. Luckily, only 5 miles from home. I got 93K miles, too.

No shuddering or bucking, though.

Post above reminded me that the Trans TCM does have 150K mile warranty. Thanks for posting! Got letter from Ford a couple years go. Will take it on this Mon, 4/30th.
sailor likes this.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #37
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 181153
What I Drive: 2015 Camry XSE

Points 659, Level 13
Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 NavyZX5 Good Standing Member
TCM was replaced under the extended warranty!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #38
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 315377
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SEL

Points 118, Level 2
Points: 118, Level: 2 Points: 118, Level: 2 Points: 118, Level: 2
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jjhendri Good Standing Member
Well this happened to me (2012 SEL) with 62300 miles, recall were done to update software a year ago, got letter on the xtended warranty on transmission. Happened today was driving at 78 mph no indication that anything was wrong. It jerked then slowed down a little before the warming light came on in the cluster and the engine light on. Was about 10 miles from dealer so slowed down to 55 and drove to dealer, after 5pm. No Loaner but said it would be at least a couple of days before they can look at. Will let you know results when I speak to them next week, sigh :(
Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #39
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 315377
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SEL

Points 118, Level 2
Points: 118, Level: 2 Points: 118, Level: 2 Points: 118, Level: 2
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jjhendri Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhendri View Post
Well this happened to me (2012 SEL) with 62300 miles, recall were done to update software a year ago, got letter on the xtended warranty on transmission. Happened today was driving at 78 mph no indication that anything was wrong. It jerked then slowed down a little before the warming light came on in the cluster and the engine light on. Was about 10 miles from dealer so slowed down to 55 and drove to dealer, after 5pm. No Loaner but said it would be at least a couple of days before they can look at. Will let you know results when I speak to them next week, sigh :(
TCM was replaced under extended warranty on the transmission. So hopefully all is well now.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #40
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 413673
Points 1, Level 1
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Carl223 Good Standing Member
I live in hilo Hawaii I bought 2011 Ford fiesta with the trans problem I looked at the trans and the filler hole is to low I filled it two quarts one quart cmar out so I closed it well the filler hole is to low on my trans anyway I put oil on top through the cooler hose hole and put the amount I lost I relearned the shifting doesnt shift very well but as soon as the trand malfunction light comes on it shifts like clock work the PC or tcm is backwards how is that warning malfunction and it shifts like clock work weird but once you stop and turn off car you have to catch the drive and go till the malfunction light comes on and smoothe shifting does anyone have this happen and how would I get Ford to reverse the PC or tcm so it will run smoothly without the malfunction light this is wierd but it worked and I drive it with no shuddering when malfunction light is on but regular from start you have to rev it to about 1and a half the car will move then one hard shift them malfunction light goes on and smoothe shifting wtf tell me any Ford guy tell me what or why does it do that

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in