DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 323 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #3221
Focus Addict

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2015 Ingot Silver SE

Points 9,486, Level 65
Points: 9,486, Level: 65 Points: 9,486, Level: 65 Points: 9,486, Level: 65
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 TooOld Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiraproject24 View Post
Lucky me! I literally drove my new car (2013 Ford Focus Titanium with DCT) off the lot today. I noticed some shuddering while slowly idling thru a chic filet parking lot that felt odd. Noticed it seemed to shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd very fast and rough almost like it was skipping 2nd??

Anyhow thinking it was some "Eco" setting I instantly googled 2013 ford focus transmission and found this thread/site.

Vehicle has 11700 miles on it, drove it off the lot today, this appears to be a problem with no fix.

It seems like many on here are having to invest in multiple software flashes, clutch and seal replacements etc.

I am thinking about printing every page of complaints and showing up at the dealership tomorrow demanding my money back.

What say you?
Check out the laws in PA for returning a used vehicle.

It's just a few on here who proclaim there's "no fix" for the DCT and a few that haven't had much luck with multiple repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #3222
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 200353
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Ford Focus Tita

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 akiraproject24 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOld View Post
Check out the laws in PA for returning a used vehicle.

It's just a few on here who proclaim there's "no fix" for the DCT and a few that haven't had much luck with multiple repairs.
Thanks TooOld, I'll check those out and will refrain from panic lol.

I've taken down all the info regarding TSB-14-0197 clutch and seal versions etc. At least if I keep the vehicle and attempt to have it repaired I can back up my claim and show them the research is done.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #3223
Focus Addict

Fan#: 159706
What I Drive: '16 Kia Forte5 SX Turbo 6 speed

Points 1,385, Level 20
Points: 1,385, Level: 20 Points: 1,385, Level: 20 Points: 1,385, Level: 20
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 danbfree Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
My questions...
1. Has anyone had long term experience after having the "D" revision clutch and seals replaced?
2. What kind of longevity can I expect? Does the problem reoccur after xxx miles?
I am thinking that now that it is running so well, that it might be a good time to dump it, fearing more and bigger problems in the future... especially after the 100K mark. But... its running well and I hate depreciation loss.
Cheers.
I'm glad your dealer eventually took care of you... I got the TSB-0047 with the clutch D packs in late April... After 6 months a few long road trips and 13k later, it's been good for the most part... I never had shudder (I've driven one that had it and it's unsettling) but a "complete loss of power event" while going uphill at freeway speeds on my 2nd morning commute in it (got as former rental with 18k). I am now getting some "chatter" once in awhile but random hard or early shifts never went completely away... I did the snorkel delete, run only premium fuel, taped the intake gap, and while the engine runs nice the rare times I keep it floored a bit, still a little "stumbly" and "clunky" sometimes. I'm going to have to keep an eye on it and make sure it gets taken care of if it gets worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #3224
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5-spd SE Hatch

Points 33,746, Level 100
Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100 Points: 33,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 135 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionPilot View Post
I'm still looking for a release date on TSB14-0197 to see if that was the one already applied to my vehicle back in early August'14. If it's newer, then I will know I should arrange a visit to my dealer to have it applied. Someone has to know when this TSB came out?

Thanks!
Unless you're having problems, another visit to the Dealer isn't likely to change much (if anything).

Any time there's a change in recommended procedures there's a "new" tsb. The changes may have nothing to do with the fixes for the car, any procedure or part number change also needs a new notice (tsb).

We've heard that the 'latest" clutch part number is different primarily in packing clutch & seals together, that alone would be a new tsb.

Service bulletins are recommended procedures to address common issues. The current one for "shudder" involves testing to determine the extent of a problem, reflash & retest as a first step to solve it if applicable - etc. depending on findings. It doesn't even address other possible problems directly.

I'm not sure what you want "applied" in this case, it's not like a computer update situation where everyone automatically gets the latest version (helpful or not).

MFT or DCT, just as with our computers some liked the latest updates & some didn't. Better left alone unless you have an issue or an actual recall to update your car for a specific problem comes out.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 11-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #3225
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104966
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Points 354, Level 7
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 2012SEL2gen Good Standing Member
I had the "D" clutch pack put in back in June. 5 months and 5000 miles later it's back at the dealer with horrible shudder. The dealer confirmed that I once again am above the 250rpm threshold for slippage. So I am getting another clutch.... this will be 3 now in total. Along with about 7 adaptive learning reprograms.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #3226
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 140194
What I Drive: 2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD

Points 222, Level 4
Points: 222, Level: 4 Points: 222, Level: 4 Points: 222, Level: 4
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 VisionPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Unless you're having problems, another visit to the Dealer isn't likely to change much (if anything).

Any time there's a change in recommended procedures there's a "new" tsb. The changes may have nothing to do with the fixes for the car, any procedure or part number change also needs a new notice (tsb).

We've heard that the 'latest" clutch part number is different primarily in packing clutch & seals together, that alone would be a new tsb.

Service bulletins are recommended procedures to address common issues. The current one for "shudder" involves testing to determine the extent of a problem, reflash & retest as a first step to solve it if applicable - etc. depending on findings. It doesn't even address other possible problems directly.

I'm not sure what you want "applied" in this case, it's not like a computer update situation where everyone automatically gets the latest version (helpful or not).

MFT or DCT, just as with our computers some liked the latest updates & some didn't. Better left alone unless you have an issue or an actual recall to update your car for a specific problem comes out.

Actually, it IS just like a new software update, that is uploaded (replaces) the existing software with what they feel are improvements or fixes. While there is always the possibility of introducing some new, as yet unidentified issue with any software fix, the theory is that it SHOULD improve the known problems, ie. the shuddering that I occasionally experience. No, it's not clutch slip, I know what that feels like and looks like on a tachometer. It's the solenoids going crazy as the result of bad programming or defective inputs.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #3227
Focus Addict

Points 9,486, Level 65
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionPilot View Post
Actually, it IS just like a new software update, that is uploaded (replaces) the existing software with what they feel are improvements or fixes. While there is always the possibility of introducing some new, as yet unidentified issue with any software fix, the theory is that it SHOULD improve the known problems, ie. the shuddering that I occasionally experience. No, it's not clutch slip, I know what that feels like and looks like on a tachometer. It's the solenoids going crazy as the result of bad programming or defective inputs.
Or bad solenoids unable to maintain their state with an unchanging signal. It doesn't necessarily have to be the software telling them to change state.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #3228
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 200561
What I Drive: White 12 Focus SE

Points 5, Level 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 12FocusOwner2 Good Standing Member
Had the Clutch in my '12 SE replaced about 2500 miles ago. Went to Cali recently and when descending a hill the transmission threw a "Transmission Fault Service Now" message and went into "limp mode". Boy is that a shock when limp mode is 3rd gear and you are going between 65 and 70mph! Can you say REDLINE??? On the way home, going up the same hill (nothing very steep) same thing. "Transmission Fault Service Now" Took it to the dealer and the service code said the transmission had trouble getting into 4th gear. I'm guessing that like with the clutch they finally replaced after 2 years of bouncing, I'll be told "All is well!!" Or even worse, "Yep, there's a problem but we can't fix it until the car acts up bad enough while our computer is hooked to your car." Sure am glad the road wasn't ICY when the car kicked into limp mode... A bit sour on this car? Yea, just a little.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #3229
Focus Addict

Points 9,486, Level 65
Level Up 46% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FocusOwner2 View Post
Had the Clutch in my '12 SE replaced about 2500 miles ago. Went to Cali recently and when descending a hill the transmission threw a "Transmission Fault Service Now" message and went into "limp mode". Boy is that a shock when limp mode is 3rd gear and you are going between 65 and 70mph! Can you say REDLINE??? On the way home, going up the same hill (nothing very steep) same thing. "Transmission Fault Service Now" Took it to the dealer and the service code said the transmission had trouble getting into 4th gear. I'm guessing that like with the clutch they finally replaced after 2 years of bouncing, I'll be told "All is well!!" Or even worse, "Yep, there's a problem but we can't fix it until the car acts up bad enough while our computer is hooked to your car." Sure am glad the road wasn't ICY when the car kicked into limp mode... A bit sour on this car? Yea, just a little.
When the clutch was replaced 2500 miles ago, were you given the "All is well" at that time? If so, did you replace the clutch yourself? I could see how one would be very sour if that was the case.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #3230
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 200561
What I Drive: White 12 Focus SE

Points 5, Level 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 12FocusOwner2 Good Standing Member
Yep, after they replaced the clutch they said everything was good and that I'd love the car. And for sure after they replaced the clutch, all seemed fine. In fact, the clutch still seems fine. No, I did not replace the clutch myself. You see, it took nearly two years of bringing the car in, until it FINALLY bounced like a kangaroo for the dealer and they did the replacement for me. I'm just tired of bringing the car in for the same or similar issues.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in