2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 37 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #361
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100065
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti hatch (Tuxedo Black)

Points 9, Level 1
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 etherboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sad to say I have been hit with the Steering Assist fault error a couple times on startup. It goes away after a "reboot" but I really don't want to lose power steering while driving the icy, windy mountain highways of BC so I will be taking the car in to be diagnosed next week.

I also had the transmission issues that were finally resolved with a tranny replacement.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #362
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Hatch

Points 2,171, Level 28
Points: 2,171, Level: 28 Points: 2,171, Level: 28 Points: 2,171, Level: 28
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 TehMark Good Standing Member
Found a video showing how to pull out the rack. Good reference for those who have the tools/willpower to do this themselves.

https://youtu.be/-u69lQvo4oE

Edit:

Also has to be programmed once installed unless you can find one at a junkyard already programmed for your specific tire size and what not

Last edited by TehMark; 11-09-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: new info
Old 11-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #363
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 379714
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback

Points 12, Level 1
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 LemonJuice Good Standing Member
I picked up one of these 2012 Ford Focus lemons about a year ago, and have nothing but issues. First numerous visits about the stuttering and stalling. But this one concerns me a little more. I was leaving my house to pick up my Grandson, when my steering froze and a "Steering Assist Failure" I tried to shut off the car and start again, but same issue. I ended up having to be towed into the dealer, only to find out it to cost me $2400.00 for a new steering Rack. I had the car back for 2 days and had an appointment to have the snow tires put on. Going back to the mechanic, they put the snows on , but could not balance the front tires, cause of something called a "Stabilizer" was gone. Another $1000.00 repair. My questions is, are the 2 related in any way? Was I just hosed by Ford again? And my big question is why are these cars allowed to remain on the road with so many safety issues. Im thankful the car died before I picked up my grandson and not when I was on the highway. Is Ford waiting for a death before they recall this steering issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #364
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

Points 3,158, Level 34
Points: 3,158, Level: 34 Points: 3,158, Level: 34 Points: 3,158, Level: 34
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
Lemonjuice: I posted this before--I had 4 clutch packs & a TCM---my mechanic is diligent & told me that the cable --main--is very tight when you do the job--Taking the trans in & out stretches it & causes connection issues which can effect the loss of steering--Where I'm going is that this whole DCT issues should be warranted for longer than the 7 year 100,000 miles cause it causes other issues--- check that first before you drop $2500...GL
Old 11-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #365
Focus Rookie

Points 12, Level 1
Level Up 23% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Sadly, we have already dropped the cash on the fix, since I work so far from work, I need the car. Public transit is 3 hours one way.
My car is currently at 145000km(86991 miles). I was told the warranty here in Canada was only good till 125000km.
I have also had the horn die and the re defroster no longer functions, both I can not afford to fix.
Sucks not being a car guy and having to rely on Ford mechanics. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
Lemonjuice: I posted this before--I had 4 clutch packs & a TCM---my mechanic is diligent & told me that the cable --main--is very tight when you do the job--Taking the trans in & out stretches it & causes connection issues which can effect the loss of steering--Where I'm going is that this whole DCT issues should be warranted for longer than the 7 year 100,000 miles cause it causes other issues--- check that first before you drop $2500...GL
Old 12-04-2017, 07:04 PM   #366
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85149
What I Drive: 1931 Model A 5 window Tudor

Points 7, Level 1
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 torch Good Standing Member
Just had the "Steering Assist Failure" happen and my wife almost lost control of the 2012 Focus. The car only has a little under 48000 miles on it! She turned the car off then turned it on again and the steering started working again. It's now at the dealer where we bought it. We bought the car new and paid for a 7 year 75000 mile Ford extended warranty. I'm worried that the technician will find "nothing wrong" so they can charge us the diagnostic fee and get out of replacing the steering rack!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #367
Focus Rookie

Points 12, Level 1
Level Up 23% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
I had a "warning" back in the spring when I had a "Steering Assist Failure" when I started the car. I thought I just put it in gear to fast. Stopped it and started and it was fine. Maybe it was a sign at the time something was going to happen.
With my DCT issue I even had a "mechanic" at Ford tell me I was not driving the clutch properly. I asked him how I was supposed to, but he could not explain anything to me.
Im convinced Ford has done this on purpose to get people to pay for a second steering rack. I have heard more and more people who have had this car that they have to replace that part when the mechanic says..."there is nothing we can do except replace it". It seems to convenient and considering the price of this part, I find it insane that something so important to safety is negected
But Ford takes no responsibility. Im glad my issue happened when I was alone and not with my grandson or other family in the car on the highway. How would Ford react to that.

Im so happy to hear your wife was able to get off the road safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torch View Post
Just had the "Steering Assist Failure" happen and my wife almost lost control of the 2012 Focus. The car only has a little under 48000 miles on it! She turned the car off then turned it on again and the steering started working again. It's now at the dealer where we bought it. We bought the car new and paid for a 7 year 75000 mile Ford extended warranty. I'm worried that the technician will find "nothing wrong" so they can charge us the diagnostic fee and get out of replacing the steering rack!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #368
Focus Addict

Fan#: 337738
What I Drive: 2016 Corvette Z51

Points 1,848, Level 25
Points: 1,848, Level: 25 Points: 1,848, Level: 25 Points: 1,848, Level: 25
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 9 MK3 ST3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by torch View Post
There will be a DTC in the unit. The dealership should be able to read it.

Curious to what she was doing when she almost lost control? Or is that an exaggeration? Unless she was going 30-40 MPH mid-turn the change in effort is barely perceptible, anything under 30 MPH and you can hit the brakes to stop safely.

My opinion, of course.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #369
Focus Addict

Fan#: 337738
What I Drive: 2016 Corvette Z51

Points 1,848, Level 25
Points: 1,848, Level: 25 Points: 1,848, Level: 25 Points: 1,848, Level: 25
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 9 MK3 ST3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonJuice View Post
Im convinced Ford has done this on purpose to get people to pay for a second steering rack. I have heard more and more people who have had this car that they have to replace that part when the mechanic says..."there is nothing we can do except replace it". It seems to convenient and considering the price of this part, I find it insane that something so important to safety is neglected
I can assure you it's not on purpose. No engineer builds parts to fail, to suggest that is to me (an engineer) insulting.

But to your point about safety, it's not neglected. Manual steering is perfectly safe. You might not like it, it may suck to turn the wheel, but the car does turn and you can drive it.

What people call "unsafe" on internet forums is crazy. Comfort features are just that, for your comfort. Power steering is a comfort feature not a safety feature. Go look at FMVSS, there are no regulations on steering. None, zero, zippo, ziltch. Europe has ECE 79 which all Ford's meet as a regulatory concern. If you go read ECE 79 look at the manual test criteria, the Fords actually exceed that by a wide margin.

Of course these are my opinions, having 8 years of experience in power steering (on both the supplier and OEM sides). All of it on EPS units.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #370
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 180081
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Hatch 5spd

Points 733, Level 14
Points: 733, Level: 14 Points: 733, Level: 14 Points: 733, Level: 14
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 SR71Blackbird Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonJuice View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Sadly, we have already dropped the cash on the fix, since I work so far from work, I need the car. Public transit is 3 hours one way.
My car is currently at 145000km(86991 miles). I was told the warranty here in Canada was only good till 125000km.
I have also had the horn die and the re defroster no longer functions, both I can not afford to fix.
Sucks not being a car guy and having to rely on Ford mechanics. :(
Im in Airdrie Alberta and ford honoured my DCT warranty at 150 000km. Seems to be better but i can tell there is still some slipping every once in a while.
My horn also quit, been debating going aftermarket.....
242000km and still going

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in