2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Focus Filipino
  • 2 Post By Focus Filipino
  • 1 Post By dibar74

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 318497
What I Drive: 2013, White, Ford Focus

Points 5,176, Level 46
Points: 5,176, Level: 46 Points: 5,176, Level: 46 Points: 5,176, Level: 46
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Focus Filipino Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
LED Vents DIY Install Guide (PIC HEAVY) -OPT7 Aura

***SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM TO SEE THE FINAL RESULTS- LIGHTS!!!***
***Does anyone know how to change a thread's title? I want it to say : LED Vents DIY Install Guide (PIC HEAVY) -OPT7 Aura"

Interior LED Vent Lights
Functions: Glow, Strobe, Color Cycle, Color Pulse, and Music Mode
Cost: $20 (Vent kit) + $40 (Prerequisite footwell lighting kit) Details on the exact product below
Install Time: 3 hours 20 minutes (No previous experience tearing down a dashboard and fishing wire)

Product review:
Seriously 5/5 experience. Both kits came with everything required and was easy to install. I've compared lights around for months and these are the best deal and function for your money. They're extremely well made, rubberized and sealed- and the lights cannot be more vibrant than they already are. Scroll down to see pics below! I'll be buying from them again and again.

Background
I've had this idea for a long time to add lights in the footwells AND in the vents. I've seen that it's possible, so I did it to the 2013 Focus S model. There's one other user who's added LED's to vents as well but he didn't write a detailed guide up or anything so I'm gonna try and help anybody who wants to do this, AND share how awesome it came out so that maybe more people will be interested in this $20 project. Also, he didn't add lights to the outer most vents, whereas I did with a little bit extra work. It's very much possible to do with some patience.

Yes, $20 is all it cost me to go from the regular footwell mod to something with much more UMPH. :)

I already had the OPT7 LED kit wired to my car. I didn't do anything fancy with the power wiring besides tuck it neatly away inside the trim, because I didn't want to do a fuse tap to the airbag switched fuses... Anyways, I began the LED Vent install by of course, taking out all the vents. I've described the detailed removal of all four vents below. Should you wonder why I added metal netting to the inside of the vents, it's to hopefully prevent bugs from crawling out of my car while I'm driving... I've seen that before and I don't want to experience that horror story as much as possible. At the end, the metal meshing actually gives a nice look with the lights behind them, you'll see below.

This took me 3 hours and 20 minutes to do from start to finish. It was my first time taking out this many interior parts which include the side dash drim, the main center console unit, the CD player, all the vent trim, and the glovebox.

You will need:
  • Opt7 Aura LED Interior light package ($40) + Opt7 Aura LED Splitters and Extensions kit 4x 3.5'' LEDs ($20 on Amazon only!!!)
  • T25 Bit and driver
  • Optional: Flashlight
  • Optional: Trim removal tools
Optional for mesh install:
  • Wire mesh or fabric netting
  • Paper for tracing
  • Scissors
  • Tape

(Sorry, I don't have a PhotoBucket account and don't know how else to attach the images within the post. They're all at the bottom in order).

This is a useful thread where someone added LED's to his vents long before me:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/m...ter-vents.html

There's also a Youtube video out there that helped me learn all this, credit to them for figuring it out!

Side Vents
  1. Open the doors and remove the triangular trim piece. It is wedged under the door liner but will pop and slide out. The first time I did this, I had no specialty tools so I used a ruler to wedge under there. There are about 5 little metal clips which come undone with a pop, but you don't have to worry about breaking anything.
  2. Use a T25 bit to unscrew the single bolt holding the upper part of the AC vent in place.
  3. The AC vent can now be wiggled out. It's much easier to start prying it out from the bottom and then shake out the sides. It comes straight out, except the driver's side you will have to unclip the trunk release button harness. That was a little tricky for me to do, but I found the best way was to use my right hand and press the harness clip from the outside. I did not try to unclip it from inside the dash, my hand would not fit in there.
  4. Now if you are planning on adding the mesh like I did, you simply trace the vent size onto a paper and transfer that template over to the mesh. I then cut the mesh out with a little bit of extra and used that to cup/wrap around the side of the vents. It gets sandwiched nicely and looks good from the outside. Be careful, doing this adds about 100 hp to your car so if your momma drives it to the closest Food Lion you need to upgrade your brakes and buy Brembo brake covers from Ebay first!
  5. The side vents can be re assembled keeping in mind to plug in the driver's side button harness.

Center Console Vents
  1. There are two T25 bolts under the center console which can easily be removed.
  2. Grab the bottom and lift it up, wiggle it around and the assembly should come loose. It will need a firm yank the first time, but don't pull out too far, there's the main wire connection to unplug!
  3. Reach behind and unclip the main wire harness.
  4. You now have access to the vents to do whatever you please to them. When done, reverse the steps above and check that all functions are working by blasting Q94 Justin Bieber or if you're really daring, Miley Cyrus.

Adding the lights:
  • Remove the CD player unit which is secured by two more T25 bolts. It was extremely tight to wiggle out in my car, but I assure you nothing will break. Behind it are three connected wire harnesses though, those can break so don't yank it all the way off.
  • Disconnect the aforementioned wire harnesses. The smallest yellow one on the right is the most difficult. You simply have to push down hard on the yellow circular tab and pull gently.
  • Next remove the glovebox. This will help you get the wire to the farthest passenger vent. There is a Youtube video for removing the glovebox which I found handy. There are a total of 5 more T25 bolts (Easy right?). Two are deep under the footwell so you'll need to bend over and get that one. The glovebox has three retaining clips which require a firm yank to undo. Again, please look up the video so that this is done properly. Don't break the thin plastic!
  • Building the wiring harness: The kit comes with 4 Y splitters and 4 extensions... I was extremely worried that my wiring plan was not going to work, but I figured out the perfect way to do it- and tested it. Connect a Y splitter to your existing control box off of any branch from one of the four footwell lights. My control box is under my passenger seat. The open end of the newly added Y splitter will connect to the wire you feed through the dash and along the passener footwell.
  • THIS is the tricky part. You'l have to feed the wire from the center console where you just took the CD out INTO and behind the passenger footwell bay. I have no experience doing this, but lots of patience. What I did was I shined a flashlight where I wanted the wire to exit, then I slowly fed the extension wire along the car guts until I could pull it with my other hand. This took so long, I was joyful when I felt it on the other side. I've included a picture showing the path I took with the wire...
  • The wire you just fed through the dash will now connect to another extension wire, in series obviously, and then connect those two to the open end of the Y splitter you just added to the control box. Now you should have used 1 splitter, and 2 extension cords.
  • Add your second Y splitter to the end of the double extended wire that's now in the center of your dash. Ok, now you have two ends to work with.
  • Add the remaining two Y splitters to each end of the previous Y splitter and BAM, now you have 4 powered end connections all centralized in your dash.
  • Wiring to the drivers side: This was surprisingly easy, it took 20 seconds to think of and do. Pull your 3rd extension wire from the drivers side vent (which should have been taken off), under the steering wheel column (There's so much slack under there from where the telescoping steering column can move, just avoid the leg airbag), and through the plastic openings in the center dash. Connect it to an end of the wire tree and you're done with that side.
  • Passenger side: From the open vent, you can VERY easily just run the wire from the center dash to the vent with your eyes closed IF you took the glovebox out. If you didn't take the glovebox out, I found it ridiculously hard to try and feed that. Taking the glovebox out should only add 10 min to your install, but now that you know how to do it, it's very easy.
  • Finally, the fun part. Connect all the 3.5'' LED strips to the 4 ends of your extension wires and power it up to check that they work. If they do, pat your self on the back. That was the hard part.
  • Center Vents: I simply taped these using the back adhesive and some extra tape for good measure. After much debate, I figured WTH the wire is thin and flat enough that when I reinstall the vents it'll just pinch it and work. It did. So, I did NOT have to cut anything in the center. Yay!
  • Side vents: For these, since the plastic was thin and cheap enough looking, I used some big wire cutters to trim a small slit that the LED wire's could escape from. I made sure the slit was deep enough but not too big. NOTE: When installing these strips, I did it so that the LED's were as close to the edge as possible but facing AWAY from the driver's point of view. I didn't want the ugly look of seeing exposed LED's... it worked! All I see is a beautifully bright glow.
  • Put everything back together, hopefully you kept good track of the screws. It's more fun putting it together.
  • Turn it on and enjoy your cheap, fun mod. It changes the driving experience dramatically.

Hope this was helpful! Please ask me if you have any questions along the way.

Attached Thumbnails
2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3754.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3755.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3766.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3769.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3770.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3771.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3774.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3776.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3778.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3768.jpg  

Last edited by Focus Filipino; 11-26-2016 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Adding more detail and continuing the guide.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 5,176, Level 46
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Here's pics of the install step by step and the final results :)

Below are the lights I bought on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/4pc-Expansion...+and+extension

The lights are bright as hell (Just the right amount!) and are the best deal out there! I am a happy customer and recommend them to everyone. Will be buying more for sure.

Keep in mind, the tape makes it look like a tacky job but honestly it didn't need to be there. I just added tape for extra good measure so I wouldn't ever have to worry about checking on it. Plus, I can't even see it from the outside! I tried looking, it's near impossible to see the lights once everything's closed back up.
Attached Thumbnails
2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3854.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3872.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3873tag.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3874.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3884.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3885.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3883.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3899.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3877.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3878.jpg  

RonMaiden and ChalupaJones like this.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 5,176, Level 46
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I really have to give this kit a 5/5. It comes with everything you need once again, Opt7 impressed me.

The pics here show it in the day time, on a fairly cloudy day today, but look how bright these lights are! They're incredible. They can always be closed off separately from the footwell lights if you just close the vents.
Attached Thumbnails
2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3905.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3904.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3929.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3981.jpg  

2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3983.jpg  

ChalupaJones and Dailywalker like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 277113
What I Drive: 2011 MK3 White Hatch

Points 1,479, Level 21
Points: 1,479, Level: 21 Points: 1,479, Level: 21 Points: 1,479, Level: 21
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 dibar74 Good Standing Member
Nice! :)
Focus Filipino likes this.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99686
What I Drive: Nothing as of right now...

Points 8, Level 1
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 chronicles Good Standing Member
This is an excellent and very informative post - thank you for taking the time to lay this out for everyone - me in particular. One quick question - where did you go about purchasing the wire mesh/fabric netting? This appears to be a metal type of material in a diamond format - something like a woven wire mesh ( Something like Belleville Wire Cloth in Cedar Grove, NJ would manufacture? ) ?

Is this a stainless steel? If not, I worry that over time perhaps this material will begin to rust or tarnish.

When you say to "unclip" the main wire harness - how do you go about doing this? Is this an actual clip that can be done by hand? I have gotten this far in the past - but always find that the main harness is very hard to "unclip" and unfasten for removal. Any pro tips on this process?
Old 11-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 5,176, Level 46
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicles View Post
This is an excellent and very informative post - thank you for taking the time to lay this out for everyone - me in particular. One quick question - where did you go about purchasing the wire mesh/fabric netting? This appears to be a metal type of material in a diamond format - something like a woven wire mesh ( Something like Belleville Wire Cloth in Cedar Grove, NJ would manufacture? ) ?

Is this a stainless steel? If not, I worry that over time perhaps this material will begin to rust or tarnish.

When you say to "unclip" the main wire harness - how do you go about doing this? Is this an actual clip that can be done by hand? I have gotten this far in the past - but always find that the main harness is very hard to "unclip" and unfasten for removal. Any pro tips on this process?
Thank you! I'm glad it's helping someone :) Unfortunately, I had this mesh laying around for years and it came from an art store like Michaels. What it is is a moldable sculpture mesh, really basic stuff. I suggest substituting it with whatever you like! You don't even really need it for the lights to show up brightly, the lights reflect off the black glossy plastic very well. I can get the name of the specific mesh I have, I think, if you want. I doubt it's stainless steel...

Un-Clipping the wire connection is really simple. I call it unclip because I had to squeeze the side tab and yank at the same time, but it's very simple. Just gonna be tight the first time! If you have any more questions, ask away! The only hard one to remove was the yellow colored wire behind the CD player in the center. Like I mentioned, that one just requires pushing the yellow circular tab firmly. See pic below!
Attached Thumbnails
2012+ AC Vent Removal/ LED Install/ Mesh Install DIY Guide-img_3890.jpg  

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in