Latest Sync update for Mk3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 314697
What I Drive: 2013 ford focus

Points 197, Level 3
Points: 197, Level: 3 Points: 197, Level: 3 Points: 197, Level: 3
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 1 toolate Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Latest Sync update for Mk3

I finally got around to installing this.
Just wondering: what should i expect in terms of improvements?
How do i know If i did actually install the update successfully?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 415943
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL MT HB, PlatinumWhite

Points 20, Level 1
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 18%
FF Reputation: 1 trottida Good Standing Member
I tried a few weeks ago on my 2012 SEL and it didn't seem like anything happened. The instructions didn't seem to match my system even though I plugged in my VIN to determine which update I should be using. I basically downloaded the file to a USB stick and plugged it into the USB port in the armrest. The instructions mentioned a USB port on the dash however I don't believe I have one there.

How did you go about doing the update?
Old 10-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 197, Level 3
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I tried a few weeks ago on my 2012 SEL and it didn't seem like anything happened. The instructions didn't seem to match my system even though I plugged in my VIN to determine which update I should be using. I basically downloaded the file to a USB stick and plugged it into the USB port in the armrest. The instructions mentioned a USB port on the dash however I don't believe I have one there.

How did you go about doing the update?
just followed the ford instructions. dont download it to the USB directly. it says to download it to PC then move to USB. not sure why that would matter but that is what i did and it worked , Did you make sure your USB was larger than 2 gb? Did you make sure the have FAT32 formatting? Did you make sure NOT to unzip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 11:43 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 197, Level 3
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolate View Post
I finally got around to installing this.
Just wondering: what should i expect in terms of improvements?
How do i know If i did actually install the update successfully?
So it did UPDATE for me: i know as the one change i can see seems to be i can now see what songs are playing.

But I hoped the system might stay in BLUETOOTH MODE so i dont always have to ask it to go to BLUETOOTH MODE!!!

Is that possible anyone???
Old 10-20-2019, 02:55 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 197, Level 3
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
No one?
Old 10-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 20, Level 1
Level Up 39% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Quote:
just followed the ford instructions. dont download it to the USB directly. it says to download it to PC then move to USB. not sure why that would matter but that is what i did and it worked , Did you make sure your USB was larger than 2 gb? Did you make sure the have FAT32 formatting? Did you make sure NOT to unzip?
I did the same. Downloaded it to my PC, unzipped, moved the files minus the zip file over to a 4GB USB drive that was formatted exfat (as per the instructions I read on the ford site). In the car; I started the car, turned off the bluetooth connection to my phone, plugged in the USB and navigated the phone menu options to load the application. Received an error message that it could not find the install file on the USB. It's there though. This is where I stopped.

I see the syncmyride.ca site is no longer working. It was a couple weeks ago when I downloaded the file. I found a backdoor through the askfordbeta link (https://help.ford.com/update-sync/usb) on the Ford Owner Site (sorry can't post links yet) however I noted that when I plug in my VIN it brings me to a UK site and the filename of the download is different. I have not tried that file yet. The content of the zip appears to be the same though.

How did you come to the USB needed to be formatted fat32?

Edit: I found another webpage that indicates fat32 >>https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...p-to-date.html

I'll try that next and see if the results change. The download file name from this page is CM5T-14D544-AG.zip and the instructions indicate Sync3 however it verified my VIN and my 2012 is Sync1.

Quote:
So it did UPDATE for me: i know as the one change i can see seems to be i can now see what songs are playing.

But I hoped the system might stay in BLUETOOTH MODE so i dont always have to ask it to go to BLUETOOTH MODE!!!

Not sure however I'm sure someone will chime in eventually.

Last edited by trottida; 10-21-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 386993
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Race Red hatch

Points 16, Level 1
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 maschanck Good Standing Member
Quote:

For me, when i start my car in aux its start automaticaly in bluetooth and play my music as soon as my phone is connected to my car. I wasn't in this situation before i updated my sync system. But if i start my car in radio mode and i go back to aux mode, i will need to go to the menu and go switch to bluetooth mode.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 415929
Points 20, Level 1
Level Up 39% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 bryce052000 Good Standing Member
Quote:

I updated mine and it shows the song names too but there is a problem; at least for me. If I switch to a different song before it is over, the screen says "paused" and won't go away unless I pause and unpause the new song.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 20, Level 1
Level Up 39% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I did the same. Downloaded it to my PC, unzipped, moved the files minus the zip file over to a 4GB USB drive that was formatted exfat (as per the instructions I read on the ford site). In the car; I started the car, turned off the bluetooth connection to my phone, plugged in the USB and navigated the phone menu options to load the application. Received an error message that it could not find the install file on the USB. It's there though. This is where I stopped.

I see the syncmyride.ca site is no longer working. It was a couple weeks ago when I downloaded the file. I found a backdoor through the askfordbeta link (https://help.ford.com/update-sync/usb) on the Ford Owner Site (sorry can't post links yet) however I noted that when I plug in my VIN it brings me to a UK site and the filename of the download is different. I have not tried that file yet. The content of the zip appears to be the same though.

How did you come to the USB needed to be formatted fat32?

Edit: I found another webpage that indicates fat32 >>https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...p-to-date.html

I'll try that next and see if the results change. The download file name from this page is CM5T-14D544-AG.zip and the instructions indicate Sync3 however it verified my VIN and my 2012 is Sync1.

Not sure however I'm sure someone will chime in eventually.
So FAT32 format with a 4GB USB drive did not work and it did mention drive space issues when it failed.

I tried FAT32 format with a 32GB USB drive and the update went through.

So the Ford website is pretty flaky as it indicates EXFAT format and a 4GB minimum. It also fails to mention you need to activate the upgrade through the phone menu.

As mentioned, I did find another location on the Ford website that says FAT32 and 8GB minimum space required.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in