2016 Focus Hatchback Titanium clutch pack issues - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 367026
What I Drive: 2016 Focus Titanium Hatchback

Points 61, Level 1
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 1 lnchbx13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2016 Focus Hatchback Titanium clutch pack issues

I have 139,000 miles on my 2016 Focus. The clutch packs were replaced a year ago and are covered under the 2 year ford parts warranty. I have been having issues with the shuttering for a while, but it was getting worse and then then it started slipping out of gear a lot. I brought it into Bob Davidson Ford and they said it's the TCM and charged me 950 and said we fixed it come pick it up. I drove 20 miles and it the same symptoms happened again. When I started driving back to the dealer at that point it began dropping gear almost every time I pressed on the gas. The check engine light came on then for the first time. I brought it back and they have been looking at it.

They say even though the tcm didn't fix the problem that the code wasn't showing before because of the tcm and only showed now because it was replaced. Maybe that's true, but the symptoms on that last trip I took (only because they said it was safe to drive) were worse than they had ever been so I think that's why the check engine light came on.

So he said just now that the cause is bent forks that led to premature wear on the clutch packs. I'm currently waiting on Ford to get back to the dealer to see what if anything they will cover, but it's sounding like I'm on the hook for 2500 plus the 950 I already spent.

Does anyone have any advice? How can they call 70k on ford focus clutch packs premature wear?? Really, that's the longest I've gotten on a set, and I think it's mostly from me driving nicely the whole time. So not premature for these transmissions with known issues.

Also, could not fixing the clutch packs for a while cause the forks to bend? I initially had an appointment in July and couldn't make it before my flight and kept putting it off because I knew they would need it for 3 days and I use my car for work so I kept putting it off because I didn't want to be without my car.

They're saying bent forks caused the issue, but is that the only possible cause? What should I say to Ford to help my case and poke holes in theirs? Should I ask for exact/specific evidence they used for every step along the way? Like pictures and codes and the same evidence they would use to show ford in order for ford to pay for something?

I just don't have much trust in dealers and I fear that they know of easy ways to point the blame back on me so they get cash from me not coverage from Ford.

I also saw after the fact that they charged me 564 for the tcm and on ford the MSRP is 403. How is that even legal to add on top of the msrp? Can they sell a car above msrp? I don't know some of this feels shady so hoping for some solid advice. Hopefully this is easy enough to follow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 6,016, Level 50
Points: 6,016, Level: 50 Points: 6,016, Level: 50 Points: 6,016, Level: 50
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 49%
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
My TCM went out last year & it was covered under warranty. Also, you should’ve received a letter from Ford stating that they’ve extended warranty coverage on the DCT.

Your car does have high mileage though, so I don’t know if that is an issue.

Mine is a ‘13, however my mileage is only 41k. Sorry for your troubles, but most (if not all) of us are in the same boat as you, with these stupid transmissions.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 61, Level 1
Level Up 22% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Yeah, I thought I saw some recalls or tsb's that brought the transmission issues up to 10 years or 150,000 miles but he said for whatever reason my vin didn't qualify for any of the programs out there on it. Others stop at 100,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Points 61, Level 1
Level Up 22% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Why would the forks bend? Can they bend on their own? Wouldn't something else have to hit them to cause them to bend?
Old 10-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 997, Level 16
Points: 997, Level: 16 Points: 997, Level: 16 Points: 997, Level: 16
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnchbx13 View Post
Yeah, I thought I saw some recalls or tsb's that brought the transmission issues up to 10 years or 150,000 miles but he said for whatever reason my vin didn't qualify for any of the programs out there on it. Others stop at 100,000 miles.
Nope, the 10y/150k is only for the TCM. All of the 2012-2016 (I think it's 2016) transmissions are covered for 7 years or 100k miles, with a one-time clutch pack replacement through February something, 2020 if you happen to fall out of that range.

There does seem to be some weirdness that if you were covered in the original 14M01 or 14M02 (forget which was the transmission) program, you didn't get rolled into the new one (19Msomething), meaning you might not qualify for the one-time clutch pack if you're over 7y/100k. Ford is a sh!t company, but even that seems to be an oversight or problem with the way the program was applied, rather than an intentional call by Ford. Reportedly, some folks have been able to get a one-time replacement by contacting the DPS6-specific customer service number.
Pokerrun388 likes this.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 61, Level 1
Level Up 22% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Where can I find this DPS6 customer service number? I don't know why either, but they said I didn't qualify for the TCM to be covered and I read the 10 years 150k somewhere too. He just said my vin didn't qualify. Seems like such BS. Maybe I should complain and demand they refund me the 950 and cover it under that program.

I do qualify for clutch packs under the 2 years parts warranty since they were replaced last June. But now they're saying the bent forks are the cause of the clutch packs to wear prematurely and ultimately not covered under the parts warranty.

I would think that for the forks to ever bend something else would have to be wrong with it internally. If everything is operating as designed how could they ever bend? Even after being 1,000,000+ times I would think the metal wouldn't just bend unless something else happened or failure of the metal in the forks.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 823, Level 15
Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 41%
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
My question to the dealer would be "How do you know that the forks are bent and that this is causing the clutch pack to fail?" Another guy posted a thread where the dealer was claiming his forks were rusting and needed to be replaced. They don't have an x-ray machine that can show what these forks look like without removing the tranny and taking it apart. So, it seems to me like a lot of times they are just making shit up so they can first claim that this had nothing to do with their previous failed attempt at fixing it and second that it will not be covered under warranty. You can call them on it but I'm not sure how one would keep an unscrupulous mechanic from "making sure they were bent" after they removed them to show you. But if they give you some BS answer as to how they know it is bent, I wouldn't even trust them to do any of the work and would seek out another dealer. If the second dealer comes up with a different story, you would have a case to ask for a refund on any diagnostic fees the first guy tried to charge you and get Ford corporate in on that if need be. Also, I would try to get a refund on the TCM repair you paid for as some others have been able to do with clutch packs that they have paid for out of pocket. Look in the recall section of the MK3 forum for the new 19N07 & 19N08 warranty extensions that now cover the 2016 models.

Last edited by IrishBrewer; 10-08-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 61, Level 1
Level Up 22% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
I spoke to him again and I asked how they could bend and he said not bent, they are binding. Not sure what that means though either. I had to go so I could get on a call. I am trying to find the ford number for assistance. If anyone knows the direct dps6 line that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 410021
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus 5 door Titanium

Points 381, Level 7
Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 SupraGuy Good Standing Member
I was told that my clutch forks were rusting and binding. They wanted to charge me for those parts with the warranty repair.

I argued with them, and in the end, they did not charge me for those parts.

Has anyone else been told that they need to replace the battery when the TCM is replaced? They told me that they wanted to do that, too, and that not doing it might cause the TCM to fail again. There are, of course no other indications of any battery trouble.

1990 Toyota Supra turbo
I think the cams are still stock...
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Points 61, Level 1
Level Up 22% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
premature wear???

How can they claim they wore prematurely? I bought the car at 41000 miles and they replaced them that first week I got it. That first set was replaced 45000 miles later and now this set needs replaced 53000 miles later. If anything, me driving nicely extended the useful life of them. So to claim premature wear is just bull shit. I'm sure that some people get more than 53000 miles on a set of clutch packs, but I would venture to say the average mileage per set before being replaced is less than 53000. I'm waiting for a call back from the regional customer service manager still, but should I ask for the service advisors manager? When my SA explains this is what the tech said and I start asking him questions and how can that be he gets annoyed and says, well this is what the tech said, you asked for the quote to be emailed to you. I'll do that now, do you need anything else? And twice now when I ask for more info than the boiler plate language on the quote he gets off the phone instead of explaining further.

Anyone have advice or pointers as to how I can prove that 53,000 miles for clutch packs is not premature?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in