2013 SE Sedan meets Silverado 3500 HD - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 312017
What I Drive: 2013 Red SE Sedan

Points 194, Level 3
Points: 194, Level: 3 Points: 194, Level: 3 Points: 194, Level: 3
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 1 StLCards Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 SE Sedan meets Silverado 3500 HD

So yes, the story says it all. Was rear ended a couple of weeks ago by Chevy Silverado 3500 HD. My car is a 13 Sedan SE race red, 104k.

Got my insurance going to the body shop to look at it today. Hopefully they elect to fix it. The other insurance didn't want to repair due to repairs being 83% of car's value they say.

I'll have to see if I can figure out how to upload the 3 photos I have. But he rear ended me on the rear passenger side of my car. So basically broke the tail light on the passenger side, smashed in the bumper cover on that side, as well put a good dent in the trunk and pushed it foward on that side. The shop said what may make it expensive is that when he hit, the truck apparently smashed/pushed in the piece where the bumper actually attaches onto and broke some of the factory welds.

Thankfully the car did it's job. No air bags deployed, my wife and I are fine. Ironically, the windshield wipers turned on of all things. The passenger rear fender didn't appear touched. Other insurance company has been nice enough, but wants to total, so now that my insurance is involved, going to let them repair or whatever, and fight it out. Good thing is I have a gap coverage with them, so that would get applied toward remainder of my loan, but wouldn't clear everything, bought my car when my credit was shot so would have some overhang. Hoping they just fix and then I can trade in later on.

Last edited by StLCards; 10-02-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97053
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE HB Sport pkg 5sp

Points 582, Level 11
Points: 582, Level: 11 Points: 582, Level: 11 Points: 582, Level: 11
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 old greybeard Good Standing Member
Pity you’re upside down if they total it. I’m getting rid of any new car that’s in a serious accident. To many sensors and wiring busses to go bad.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 406737
What I Drive: 2018 Focus SE

Points 22, Level 1
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 1 magnetic Good Standing Member
I thought that whats gap is for... to cover the rest. Why doesn't it go all the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 276177
What I Drive: 2019 Blk Ford Escape SE w/Sport Pkg

Points 4,177, Level 41
Points: 4,177, Level: 41 Points: 4,177, Level: 41 Points: 4,177, Level: 41
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 5 LonestarFF95 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
I thought that whats gap is for... to cover the rest. Why doesn't it go all the way?
If it's through the insurance company most don't do full payout will only cover a percentage of vehicle cash value.

Like mine thru progressive is call Loan Payoff assistance: but only covers 25% of value of vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FF Mobile
Old 10-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 276177
What I Drive: 2019 Blk Ford Escape SE w/Sport Pkg

Points 4,177, Level 41
Points: 4,177, Level: 41 Points: 4,177, Level: 41 Points: 4,177, Level: 41
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 5 LonestarFF95 Good Standing Member
This is also why I buy the full GAP coverage that the dealer offers when I finance a vehicle. So I'm not stuck in a situation like that

Dgolden likes this.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 817, Level 15
Points: 817, Level: 15 Points: 817, Level: 15 Points: 817, Level: 15
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 41%
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
I just got hit a few weeks ago in a low speed collision where the other driver failed to stop and yield at a stop sign in a parking lot. Damage didn't seem like a whole lot but with everything, the adjuster came up with over $1800 and I opted for a cash payment with the idea that I would fix it myself.

The main damage was to the front driver's side fender. Fortunately, I was able to find a salvage part in great shape in the right paint color for $125. The pics show before and after prior to touching up the scratches on the bumper and wheel which I did last evening. A lot of the cost on the dealer estimate is for painting the fender (they listed a salvage one also but in another color) and blending the adjacent panels. With a used fender in the right color, the color is pretty spot-on to my car. It will match better than it appears in the photo below when I get a chance to wash the whole car.

2013 SE Sedan meets Silverado 3500 HD-0913191226-1-.jpg

2013 SE Sedan meets Silverado 3500 HD-1002191206a.jpg
Old 10-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 194, Level 3
Level Up 88% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Yes, I'm waiting to hear back. For some reason or other, I was not eligible for GAP. My credit was shot when I bought the car though. If they do total it out, was kind of looking at a 2015 kia forte with about 25K on it. I think I saw a 2016 Chevy Trax that might be nice, as my wife has been wanting an suv. If they don't cover it, I'd be trying to walk the line of getting another car and keeping the payment low enough so I could finish paying the old loan and not break the budget.

But I did get a call from my adjuster with progressive. He does not think at this point that they will consider it a total loss. However, they are taking the car a bit further apart to check for any hidden damage under the bumper etc. But from what I was told, they are about $1800 away from it being totaled. So it will depend probably how hard they hit the bumper, how and if there's any frame damage etc under there or not. What would be a shame is if they total it, because the car runs good and still drives just like before. Just needed to get it in for the canister recall though.

I should know more either tomorrow or on monday what the final verdict is about it. If I do come out having to pay it off, it may work out. The 2015 kia forte I looked at, I think according to capital one's pre qualification, I could get that for about 190 per month over 6 years for the lower payment. I figure I had until November 2021 to get the focus paid out, so if they would break the remainder into that time, that shouldn't be much more than 130 or so a month to the other company. But we'll see how it all shakes out.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 817, Level 15
Points: 817, Level: 15 Points: 817, Level: 15 Points: 817, Level: 15
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 41%
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLCards View Post
Yes, I'm waiting to hear back. For some reason or other, I was not eligible for GAP. My credit was shot when I bought the car though. If they do total it out, was kind of looking at a 2015 kia forte with about 25K on it. I think I saw a 2016 Chevy Trax that might be nice, as my wife has been wanting an suv. If they don't cover it, I'd be trying to walk the line of getting another car and keeping the payment low enough so I could finish paying the old loan and not break the budget.

But I did get a call from my adjuster with progressive. He does not think at this point that they will consider it a total loss. However, they are taking the car a bit further apart to check for any hidden damage under the bumper etc. But from what I was told, they are about $1800 away from it being totaled. So it will depend probably how hard they hit the bumper, how and if there's any frame damage etc under there or not. What would be a shame is if they total it, because the car runs good and still drives just like before. Just needed to get it in for the canister recall though.

I should know more either tomorrow or on monday what the final verdict is about it. If I do come out having to pay it off, it may work out. The 2015 kia forte I looked at, I think according to capital one's pre qualification, I could get that for about 190 per month over 6 years for the lower payment. I figure I had until November 2021 to get the focus paid out, so if they would break the remainder into that time, that shouldn't be much more than 130 or so a month to the other company. But we'll see how it all shakes out.
Brings to mind this thread. If they total it, you might inquire about the possibility of buying it back at the salvage value and getting it fixed by an independent mechanic (if you can't do it yourself). Just be aware of all of the cost and effort required for retitling which will vary by state. The resale value on a retitled car will be crap but if you know it runs good and plan on just keeping it until it's ready for the junkyard, that doesn't really matter.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 194, Level 3
Level Up 88% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
I did inquire about that actually. The other insurance company said it would have been something like 1300 to buy it back. But the issue would have been that the finance company would have to be willing to continue the loan as is. Or would they want to be paid off etc.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 274433
What I Drive: 2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Points 2,754, Level 32
Points: 2,754, Level: 32 Points: 2,754, Level: 32 Points: 2,754, Level: 32
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 2 Ductape91 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarFF95 View Post
This is also why I buy the full GAP coverage that the dealer offers when I finance a vehicle. So I'm not stuck in a situation like that

Same. I have gap+ to avoid the possibility of owing after a wreck even though i was never under water on my loan with this car.
Just extra insurance to have when i need it.
When my dad got his car totaled after his crash gap covered his loan even though he just got the car 2 months prior.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in