What's your "favorite" dealer add-on? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 823, Level 15
Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 41%
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What's your "favorite" dealer add-on?

I had a good one today. I had my car in for a second pass at the recall for the purge valve/tank deformation issue. The dealers like to do the multi-point courtesy inspections to see if they can also do some service they will get paid for (I don't think they get much for the recall work).

So, I get a call from the dealer saying that he was recommending a coolant flush and fill. I asked if how they came to that conclusion, i.e., did they do some sort of testing. I knew the coolant should be fine since I replaced it myself a little over two years ago with long-life coolant using a 60/40 mix of coolant to water. When pressed, the guy just said is "seemed a little watery, like it wasn't mixed 50/50." I'm thinking, what did you do, taste it? I'm pretty sure someone in the shop has one of those $2 specific gravity testers with the floating balls or even something more sophisticated.

No thanks buddy.

In my state we have mandatory safety inspections annually and they are performed by the mechanics that do any work to rectify any violations the find. Anyone else see a conflict of interest there? So, this results in a lot of unnecessary work and I've seen a lot worse than the one I described above. I've found a mechanic that I trust and who knows that I do all of my own work except for tire changes. But every once in a while I take one of the family vehicles to another garage and come across a lot of deceptive practices. Not too long ago, I had another garage do an inspection on my wife's van and I was given a BS failure on the brake pads. It was bad enough that I reported it to the state's vehicle inspection department. Still not too satisfying because even though I had good evidence of what transpired, there is little that they were willing to do to rectify it. All they would really need to do is run a few sting operations to clean up the industry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 278401
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 5spd

Points 4,045, Level 40
Points: 4,045, Level: 40 Points: 4,045, Level: 40 Points: 4,045, Level: 40
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 78%
Activity: 78% Activity: 78% Activity: 78%
FF Reputation: 1 saintsfins Good Standing Member
Second pass on the recall? Why?

I had a Chevy truck years ago, and I brought it to the dealer once for an oil change. The advisor came out with a little plastic tray. He pulled a small sample of oil, trans fluid, PSF, etc and then next to the sample was a color of what "good" fluids look like. Well, of course fluids can still be fine/good without looking like new. I laughed when he showed me the tray, but I'm sure they made a fortune scaring customers that way.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 823, Level 15
Level Up 23% Completed
Forum Activity 41%
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfins View Post
Second pass on the recall? Why?
They reissued the recall for some vehicles depending on when you had the original recall work done because they apparently didn't get the programming right the first time until sometime after they started doing the repairs. Mine must have been done earlier in the process because I got a recall notice saying they needed to reprogram to get the latest fix for my vehicle. So, many may not need the second notice recall work (which is issued under 19S22). I had my daughters Focus in for the original recall work shortly after I had mine done and she didn't get the second notice.

I wasn't too worried about it but I had to have the vehicle in for an estimate anyway because a lady ran a stop sign and hit my front fender/wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 7,402, Level 57
Points: 7,402, Level: 57 Points: 7,402, Level: 57 Points: 7,402, Level: 57
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 21 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
So... you intentionally use a coolant mixture that does not match the OEM specification and you're, idk, shocked, when a service dept grunt offers to get you back to spec?

Am I up to speed? Do I understand everything that happened? What are you looking to gain from this post?

It isn't "deceptive" for a shop to inspect your brake pads and say "We recommend replacement of brake pads when they are beyond (X) amount of wear"

You're insane.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 42911
What I Drive: MK3 Focus powered by corn

Points 8,600, Level 62
Points: 8,600, Level: 62 Points: 8,600, Level: 62 Points: 8,600, Level: 62
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%
FF Reputation: 1 IngotMK3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I just did both my recalls (latch and tank recall) after getting tons of letters in the mail about them... just had the extra time this month. It only took 3hrs tops and yes they get paid for recalls. Techs love that easy money.

As for coolant its 100K and 150K per the handbook.

Never take one dealers word, if something don't seem right... check around.
IrishBrewer likes this.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 355553
What I Drive: 15 Focus Slow Edition

Points 458, Level 9
Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 2 AdhesiveTeflon Good Standing Member
I had a service writer say my pads and rotors needed to be changed when I went in for 'the works' at 35K miles. I didn't change them until 100K miles later and the fronts looked like they could safely go for another 30K miles.

The same service writer that almost had me pay for a loaner and water pump while my car was getting it fixed under warranty. A second service writer looked it over and said the pump was covered under warranty, and thus the loaner was too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
So... you intentionally use a coolant mixture that does not match the OEM specification and you're, idk, shocked, when a service dept grunt offers to get you back to spec?
A 60/40 mix of coolant/water would mean the coolant is less 'watery' since there's more coolant than water.
IrishBrewer likes this.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 402831
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus SE hatch

Points 62, Level 1
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 jaymz9350 Good Standing Member
Quote:

Am I up to speed? Do I understand everything that happened? What are you looking to gain from this post?

It isn't "deceptive" for a shop to inspect your brake pads and say "We recommend replacement of brake pads when they are beyond (X) amount of wear"

You're insane.
He said he runs a coolant heavy mix and the shop said it was watery, my guess they didn't even check it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using FF Mobile
IrishBrewer likes this.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 823, Level 15
Level Up 23% Completed
Forum Activity 41%
Quote:

You're insane.
1. I am not seeing where I said I didn't use OEM coolant. My point was that when I questioned them on why they failed it, they could only come up with "it seemed watery". I'll test it myself tonight but I can almost guarantee, it's gonna be fine. I really don't have a problem with them running these multi-point inspections because they can catch some things I might have missed and point them out to me at no cost. But run some real tests, just don't come back to me with some BS story about why I should let them do unnecessary work.

2. On the brakes, it wasn't a matter of them inspecting the pads and seeing that they were simply worn down. They said that they were cracked down to the metal. I removed them myself and brought them in for them to look at again and they had about 1/4 of an inch or more of pad left and they couldn't find a single crack that was supposedly the reason for failing them in the first place. They flat out lied thinking I was just some guy who knew nothing about cars that they could dupe into an unnecessary $150 brake job - easy money.

I know I didn't go into all those details in my post but you seem to assume a lot before getting details that you could have asked for and I would have happily provided.
jimvandamme likes this.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 278401
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 5spd

Points 4,045, Level 40
Points: 4,045, Level: 40 Points: 4,045, Level: 40 Points: 4,045, Level: 40
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 78%
Activity: 78% Activity: 78% Activity: 78%
FF Reputation: 1 saintsfins Good Standing Member
I brought my Sienna to Toyota for an oil change. The advisor told me I needed new rear pads, and he showed me the measurements for the fronts and rears. I knew the fronts were good b/c I had just changed them. I knew I didn't need rear pads, b/c the van had FN drums on the rear.
IrishBrewer likes this.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Points 823, Level 15
Level Up 23% Completed
Forum Activity 41%
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfins View Post
I brought my Sienna to Toyota for an oil change. The advisor told me I needed new rear pads, and he showed me the measurements for the fronts and rears. I knew the fronts were good b/c I had just changed them. I knew I didn't need rear pads, b/c the van had FN drums on the rear.
That's good. Should have told him that if he can find any pads on the rear, he's free to change them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in