What should I say when I take my 14 SE in for TCM/DCT issues? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rczrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 415291
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus SE Automatic

Points 11, Level 1
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 1 sabsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking What should I say when I take my 14 SE in for TCM/DCT issues?

I'm trying to learn how to correctly go about addressing the issues I'm having without making me spend money to fix Ford's terrible design myself. I am very keen on keeping up with all maintenance on my vehicles, but I am so dissapointed with my 14 Focus SE- it feels like no matter how well I maintain the car, the awful issues that exist due to the design will never go away!

I'm at about 38,000 miles now and I experience extreme shuddering from taking off at a red light, and I am extremely mindful of making the car shift smoothly, as well as coming to stops very gradually and allowing the car to downshift. The shuddering is not much of an 'issue', but I feel it should be addressed- certainly the car should not drive like that, and it's also embarrassing having my passengers wonder what the hell is going on!

Besides the from-stop issues, my car will often refuse to shift into higher gears on the highway- if I'm going 60 and want to kick it up to 70, I can put my foot on the pedal and get up to nearly a constant 6,000 RPMs without shifting! The only solution I've found is putting the car on cruise control will cause it to shift up quickly. Awful!

I want to bring it to a dealer and was wondering what you guys have found successful. I know these transmissions are a huge issue for Ford and the dealerships, and I know they will do whatever they can to screw the consumer over.

Thanks friends!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 300666
What I Drive: 2015 Focus SE Auto

Points 2,140, Level 27
Points: 2,140, Level: 27 Points: 2,140, Level: 27 Points: 2,140, Level: 27
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 1 iceflow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsfocus View Post
I'm trying to learn how to correctly go about addressing the issues I'm having without making me spend money to fix Ford's terrible design myself. I am very keen on keeping up with all maintenance on my vehicles, but I am so dissapointed with my 14 Focus SE- it feels like no matter how well I maintain the car, the awful issues that exist due to the design will never go away!

I'm at about 38,000 miles now and I experience extreme shuddering from taking off at a red light, and I am extremely mindful of making the car shift smoothly, as well as coming to stops very gradually and allowing the car to downshift. The shuddering is not much of an 'issue', but I feel it should be addressed- certainly the car should not drive like that, and it's also embarrassing having my passengers wonder what the hell is going on!

Besides the from-stop issues, my car will often refuse to shift into higher gears on the highway- if I'm going 60 and want to kick it up to 70, I can put my foot on the pedal and get up to nearly a constant 6,000 RPMs without shifting! The only solution I've found is putting the car on cruise control will cause it to shift up quickly. Awful!

I want to bring it to a dealer and was wondering what you guys have found successful. I know these transmissions are a huge issue for Ford and the dealerships, and I know they will do whatever they can to screw the consumer over.

Thanks friends!
assuming you are in North America.....which I think is the only market this POS transmission was sold.....try going onto Ford Etis site. Key in your vin and see if your vehicle will be covered by the recent DCT warranty extension. I'm thinking you should already be covered by the 10 yr / 150K on the TCM.
That should help make your case with the dealer.
We had our DCT clutch packs replaced recently, albeit on the 60K / 3 year program. I didn't have to do anything special to make my case. The new program should help your case.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 11, Level 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflow View Post
assuming you are in North America.....which I think is the only market this POS transmission was sold.....try going onto Ford Etis site. Key in your vin and see if your vehicle will be covered by the recent DCT warranty extension. I'm thinking you should already be covered by the 10 yr / 150K on the TCM.
That should help make your case with the dealer.
We had our DCT clutch packs replaced recently, albeit on the 60K / 3 year program. I didn't have to do anything special to make my case. The new program should help your case.
Thanks for the reply, iceflow. I checked out my VIN and I'm definitely covered in both cases. I called my local Ford dealership and they said they would perform a diagnostic check and confirm the issue was the trans/clutch and make sure it wasn't caused by anything else (they stressed this part!). If it was confirmed the trans/clutch, it would all be covered, but if it's not the issue I'll be charged $175. I already feel a little push-back from the service advisor given the way he was talking. Damn Ford! Never again. I got a great deal on this ('14 SE with 27K miles for 7K cash) but now I'm starting to feel like it wasn't worth the stress for someone who cares so much about how their car drives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 300666
What I Drive: 2015 Focus SE Auto

Points 2,140, Level 27
Points: 2,140, Level: 27 Points: 2,140, Level: 27 Points: 2,140, Level: 27
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 1 iceflow Good Standing Member
yep, there seems to be a range of responses from dealerships. We went to AutoNation Ford in Katy, TX and they were great. I didn't buy the car from them and have never had any servicing from them, but no run around they just did the job.
What about posting your location it may be that other members can recommend a dealer?
Old 08-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 11, Level 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Quote:
yep, there seems to be a range of responses from dealerships. We went to AutoNation Ford in Katy, TX and they were great. I didn't buy the car from them and have never had any servicing from them, but no run around they just did the job.
What about posting your location it may be that other members can recommend a dealer?
I updated my location to show I'm here in Las Vegas, Nevada. If anyone has recommendations let me know! I'm pretty broke so saving every penny is essential. I'm at work starving through my lunch break now trying to save a few dollars today.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 5,911, Level 49
Points: 5,911, Level: 49 Points: 5,911, Level: 49 Points: 5,911, Level: 49
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsfocus View Post

Thanks friends!

The shuddering isnít much of an issue? It bugs the hell out of me, especially after a long day & Iím stuck in traffic. I have a 2013 with 40k miles & Ford wonít cover anything except the TCM. Iíve already tried numerous times for another clutch & they told me $$2200 out of pocket. There is ZERO warranty extension for a Ď13 with a build date of 06/13.

These cars should be eligible for a Lemon Law. The thought has crossed my mind many times, especially since they knowingly had issues, yet continued to be sold.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 08-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 930, Level 16
Points: 930, Level: 16 Points: 930, Level: 16 Points: 930, Level: 16
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
assuming you are in North America.....which I think is the only market this POS transmission was sold
The MK3 Focus came with the DPS6 around the world; however, the 2015 refresh dropped the DPS6 in every market except NA. Also, the MK3 Focus had a variety of other options in other markets, plus manuals are more popular outside of NA, so the percentage of MK3 Focuses with DPS6 transmissions is much less in other markets compared to NA.

A number of factors probably played into Ford dropping the DPS6 in other markets with the 2015 refresh, but I guarantee Ford knew they were going to stop manufacturing cars (focusing on CUVs, SUVs, and trucks) for the NA market and figured they'd use up their stockpile of DPS6 and related parts in NA by using the DPS6 in all automatic Fiestas and Focuses until they quit manufacturing the cars themselves for NA. It's a mix of damage control and cost reduction.

The US is far more corporation-friendly than other large markets. Other countries have already gone after Ford for the DPS6; Ford probably figured - and rightly so - that they'd have a better chance of getting away with using the DPS6 in the States, even knowing it was defective.
tracycali likes this.

Last edited by rczrider; 08-27-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 160034
What I Drive: 2006 Red ZX4

Points 102, Level 2
Points: 102, Level: 2 Points: 102, Level: 2 Points: 102, Level: 2
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 1 rschaffter Good Standing Member
We simply told them it's shuddering on acceleration, and they hooked it up to computer and evaluated the clutch. We dropped it off on the morning and picked it up fixed after work.

Not sure about the issues on shifting on the highway; could be TCM...

$175 is steep for a Diagnostic; I paid $110 here in Central Massachusetts when I had my clutch replaced out of warranty, which cost $1450...

Last edited by rschaffter; 08-28-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 930, Level 16
Points: 930, Level: 16 Points: 930, Level: 16 Points: 930, Level: 16
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschaffter View Post
We simply told them it's shuddering on acceleration, and they hooked it up to computer and evaluated the clutch. We dropped it off on the morning and picked it up fixed after work.

Not sure about the issues on shifting on the highway; could be TCM...

$175 is steep for a Diagnostic; I paid $110 here in Central Massachusetts when I had my clutch replaced out of warranty, which cost $1450...
I'll be surprised if any large-volume dealership is charging a diagnostic fee given the warranty extension and one-time fix for any DPS6 regardless of mileage or age.

Make sure you call the DPS6-specific customer service number (1-833-805-3673) to talk to them about getting reimbursed for your out-of-pocket repair!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in