Another very short DCT article from an Dallas source - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 290490
What I Drive: '16 SE Hatch DCT

Points 133, Level 2
Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 WTFocus! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another very short DCT article from an Dallas source

I know this subject has been covered many times, but here is an very short article from Dallas:

https://www.carprousa.com/Ford-Exten...Warranty/a/979

Last item is interesting:

"Affected customers will get a personalized letter from Ford. Focus and Fiesta customers with questions can contact a special customer-assistance hotline (833-805-3673) or their local Ford dealer, or visit Owner.Ford.com and use their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for information on available updates for their vehicles."

Last edited by WTFocus!; 08-16-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 935, Level 16
Points: 935, Level: 16 Points: 935, Level: 16 Points: 935, Level: 16
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFocus! View Post
Last item is interesting:

Affected customers will get a personalized letter from Ford.
I get a personalized letter from non-profits, banks, and HVAC repair companies every day. Unless this letter is signed with the bloody fingerprint of Dave Felipe, I'm going to say it's just another letter with [insert name here].
tracycali likes this.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52547
What I Drive: 2015 Silver SE 2.0/DCT

Points 870, Level 15
Points: 870, Level: 15 Points: 870, Level: 15 Points: 870, Level: 15
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 Livens Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider View Post
I get a personalized letter from non-profits, banks, and HVAC repair companies every day. Unless this letter is signed with the bloody fingerprint of Dave Felipe, I'm going to say it's just another letter with [insert name here].
You and me both. I have a special hatred for those tricky ones that make their junk mail look like a hand written birthday card !

There is no way they will do a recall. And I don't see them fixing anything either. B ut as long as I can go grab a new clutch on their $$$ I'm happy for now. But the 100k mile limit does worry me, as I usually keep my cars waaay past that. Its noce to go 5-6 years without a car payment and still have a reliable car. My 2002 Focus has been just that, at 250k+ it still starts up and runs great. But it look like I will be getting rid of this Focus at 99k :).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 935, Level 16
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livens View Post
You and me both. I have a special hatred for those tricky ones that make their junk mail look like a hand written birthday card !
Haha, yep, I hate those. It's a 50/50 shot that I'll open to make sure.

Quote:
There is no way they will do a recall.
The NHTSA? I'm pretty cynical as a general rule, but the internal documentation from Ford is what makes it a real possibility that a recall will happen, at least from my perspective. It's pretty much Ford itself admitting that they're defective. Were it not for that documentation, they could easily just claim they're just awful transmissions with poor reliability at which point the NHTSA would have to really push to prove that they were dangerous and defective.

Now, if you meant Ford...yeah, they won't do anything voluntarily. If the NHTSA doesn't come after them, then this 7y/100k warranty is all we'll ever get, since Ford knows beyond any doubt they're going to be involved in a class action over the DPS6 and they're out nothing by waiting for their day in court.

Quote:
And I don't see them fixing anything either.
I mean, if they haven't fixed the DPS6 in the 8 or 9 years it's been in production - not to mention R&D - they certainly won't be fixing it now. I am truly holding slim hope for the choice of an MTX-75 manual or 6F35 auto replacement option.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:15 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 5,932, Level 49
Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
Honestly, itís just exhausting to read all of these ridiculous articles. The DCT is junk & everyone knows it.

So what is Ford going to do? They could give me my money back, but thatís never going to happen.

Are they going to put a brand new transmission in every 2012-2016 Focus & Fiesta? Címon, we all know thatís not going to happen.

So, whatís next? Does Ford want me to pay $2200 for another clutch because my Ď13 is out of warranty?

I mean itís laughable at best. Unless thereís a recall for a permanent fix, then why does all of this keeping coming up?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 935, Level 16
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
Are they going to put a brand new transmission in every 2012-2016 Focus & Fiesta? C’mon, we all know that’s not going to happen.
Whatever the end result is will affect every single Fiesta and Focus with the DPS6, spanning from 2011-2018. The Focus is (was) Ford's best-selling car; the Fiesta was its third (behind the Fusion). No idea what percentage of those were cars with the DPS6, but given the low sales of the Focus 1.0 (which came with the 6F15 hydraulic auto) and the public's general lack of interest in manuals, it's the overwhelming majority. I'm guessing at least 80%.

I will admit to being stupidly optimistic that they will (eventually) offer a replacement of the MTX-75 manual or 6F35 auto as an alternative to scrapping every Fiesta and Focus (assuming a recall by the NHTSA, because heaven knows they're not going to do it on their own). It's incredibly unlikely, though

Quote:
So, what’s next? Does Ford want me to pay $2200 for another clutch because my ‘13 is out of warranty?
Your 2013 is out of warranty because it's over 100k miles? If so - and I mentioned this in my recall thread - Ford is apparently offering a one-time fix for any Fiesta or Focus with the DPS6, regardless of age or mileage, as long as you get it done before February 20, 2020.

If you get that done and you're interested in keeping the Focus, Tom's tune might be a consideration since fresh clutches are the best time to use it. It probably does something to extend the life of the clutches even if it's not the miracle cure he'd have you think it is.

Of course, we should have an NHTSA determination before a new set of clutches wear out, unless you drive more than 15k miles per year.
Pokerrun388 likes this.

Last edited by rczrider; 08-17-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 336401
What I Drive: 2010 Focus S 5spd (sold May 2019)

Points 296, Level 5
Points: 296, Level: 5 Points: 296, Level: 5 Points: 296, Level: 5
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 2 RyanLee036 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Honestly, it’s just exhausting to read all of these ridiculous articles. The DCT is junk & everyone knows it.

So what is Ford going to do? They could give me my money back, but that’s never going to happen.

Are they going to put a brand new transmission in every 2012-2016 Focus & Fiesta? C’mon, we all know that’s not going to happen.

So, what’s next? Does Ford want me to pay $2200 for another clutch because my ‘13 is out of warranty?

I mean it’s laughable at best. Unless there’s a recall for a permanent fix, then why does all of this keeping coming up?

Because this stuff generates headlines and interest from the automotive world. Would Ford put a conventional automatic in place of all DCTs? No, especially since they killed every model that uses the DPS6. Doesn't make financial sense anyways when comparing the Fiesta/Focus to the Escape, let alone the F-150.

As for the clutch fixes, in my town the Focus was not offered since 2015, and the transmission offered is a conventional automatic. Since most people leases their cars for three years here, they would be driving Kugas (Escapes) by now. My bet is that Ford is betting the fact that most people leases the Focus, and would have had it traded-in by now, so it doesn't make sense financially too given the many happy SUV and truck customers. Kind of interesting to think that the model was refreshed in 2015 only to be cancelled in three years.
Pokerrun388 likes this.

Last edited by RyanLee036; 08-17-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 935, Level 16
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLee036 View Post
Kind of interesting to think that the model was refreshed in 2015 only to be cancelled in three years.
I mean, it wasn't canceled everywhere; the MK4 is out in Europe and it looks really good, IMO. Furthermore, in every market but North America, the refresh dropped the DPS6 and the auto option was a typical slushbox.

Add to that the fact that there were more Focus models offered outside the NA market, so it further reduces (by percentage) the number of DPS6 transmissions outside of NA. Don't get me wrong, there were still a ton, but in percentage of sale, the NA market had the most before the refresh and since the DPS6 came with the 2015+ Fiestas and Focuses in the NA market, that significantly increased its presence in North America, proportionally far more than everywhere else in the world.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 5,932, Level 49
Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
Another very short DCT article from an Dallas source

Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider View Post
Whatever the end result is will affect every single Fiesta and Focus with the DPS6, spanning from 2011-2018. The Focus is (was) Ford's best-selling car; the Fiesta was its third (behind the Fusion). No idea what percentage of those were cars with the DPS6, but given the low sales of the Focus 1.0 (which came with the 6F15 hydraulic auto) and the public's general lack of interest in manuals, it's the overwhelming majority. I'm guessing at least 80%.

I will admit to being stupidly optimistic that they will (eventually) offer a replacement of the MTX-75 manual or 6F35 auto as an alternative to scrapping every Fiesta and Focus (assuming a recall by the NHTSA, because heaven knows they're not going to do it on their own). It's incredibly unlikely, though

Your 2013 is out of warranty because it's over 100k miles? If so - and I mentioned this in my recall thread - Ford is apparently offering a one-time fix for any Fiesta or Focus with the DPS6, regardless of age or mileage, as long as you get it done before February 20, 2020.

If you get that done and you're interested in keeping the Focus, Tom's tune might be a consideration since fresh clutches are the best time to use it. It probably does something to extend the life of the clutches even if it's not the miracle cure he'd have you think it is.

Of course, we should have an NHTSA determination before a new set of clutches wear out, unless you drive more than 15k miles per year.

My build date is 06/13 & the current mileage is is only 40k. I just got off the phone with Ford customer service & itís the same nonsense everytime. I seem to always get a rep. thatís seemingly clueless to what a DCT even is or what it means. Itís so exhausting to spend 5mins on the phone with them that I typically just end the call. I mean, whatís the point? Theyíre not willing to do anything & tell me everytime that the powertrain warranty has expired & that nothing is covered except for the TCM.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Points 935, Level 16
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
My build date is 06/13 & the current mileage is is only 40k. I just got off the phone with Ford customer service & itís the same nonsense everytime. I seem to always get a rep. thatís seemingly clueless to what a DCT even is or what it means. Itís so exhausting to spend 5mins on the phone with them that I typically just end the call. I mean, whatís the point? Theyíre not willing to do anything & tell me everytime that the powertrain warranty has expired & that nothing is covered except for the TCM.
Did you call the Fiesta/Focus/DPS6-specific customer service number?

1-833-805-3673
Pokerrun388 likes this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in