Keep or sell Focus SE with DCT - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
Focus Addict

Fan#: 278401
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 5spd

Points 3,840, Level 39
Points: 3,840, Level: 39 Points: 3,840, Level: 39 Points: 3,840, Level: 39
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 68%
Activity: 68% Activity: 68% Activity: 68%
FF Reputation: 1 saintsfins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You'd get crushed on the trade. Try to sell yourself at a some decent price, or just drive it until it dies. With those low miles, I'd probably keep it. Worst case, you'll have to pay $1500 or whatever to repair the DTC. That's a few car payments to some people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 856, Level 15
Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
If you are worried about the car, go to a volume dealer and tell them you have shudder. Most have so many come in that they do not even test them, they just replace them off the bat.
LOL, that's not true at all. Not even a little.

DPS6 warranty repairs require pre-authorization from Ford for dealership reimbursement. They hook it up, run the diagnostic, submit it to Ford, and if the values are outside of spec, the warranty repair is authorized. It's timestamped and tied to the VIN.

I mean, I guess a dealership might do it just because, but there would be a real and significant risk that they wouldn't get reimbursed by Ford corporate. There's literally no reason for them to skip the pre-authorization...which requires the test.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2019, 03:16 AM   #13
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145602
Points 5,812, Level 49
Points: 5,812, Level: 49 Points: 5,812, Level: 49 Points: 5,812, Level: 49
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 45%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%
FF Reputation: 3 Pokerrun388 Good Standing Member
Do yourself a favor & get an online appraisal with Carvana. You might be surprised with their offer & they make it fast & easy + you can avoid the dealership nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 278401
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 5spd

Points 3,840, Level 39
Points: 3,840, Level: 39 Points: 3,840, Level: 39 Points: 3,840, Level: 39
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 68%
Activity: 68% Activity: 68% Activity: 68%
FF Reputation: 1 saintsfins Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 View Post
Do yourself a favor & get an online appraisal with Carvana. You might be surprised with their offer.
Yeah, surprised at how low the offer is. These cars drop like rocks. I looked up the trade on mine recently, and it's a joke.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97053
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE HB Sport pkg 5sp

Points 582, Level 11
Points: 582, Level: 11 Points: 582, Level: 11 Points: 582, Level: 11
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 old greybeard Good Standing Member
Put new tires on it and drive it as long as possible. You put 40k a year on vehicles? Probably highway. Best thing for a dct. The car has already depreciated. You won’t lose money until you sell. If you get 4-5 years out of it you will be way ahead.
scott9050 likes this.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #16
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358873
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE

Points 377, Level 7
Points: 377, Level: 7 Points: 377, Level: 7 Points: 377, Level: 7
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 99%
FF Reputation: 1 FordFailus2016 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
I have a 2012 and I like it except for the DCT. My daughter has the same car in a 5-speed MT so I have a direct comparison. Hers is much more enjoyable to drive. I know there's a chance Ford will be forced to do something for DCT owners even those of us with high mileage and outside the extended 14M01 limits. That said, I am not confident that they will do anything that is a long lasting fix and it will continue to be a pain and reliability is compromised.

So, I'm seriously leaning towards the swap and I'm beginning to source some used parts to do the job myself. I've found what looks to be a suitable junkyard car that is local and has all the MT stuff still on it so I should be able to do it pretty inexpensively and I will use new parts where it makes sense (clutch, seals, CV axles). This being the case, I can do it for under a grand which is doable. I've seen the guides and nothing scares me about the job itself. I'm already running Tom's tune for the DCT so it makes sense for me to just keep the PCM and automatic wiring harness and I can avoid having to tow it to a dealer to do any reprogramming.
Curious. Did you buy his tune after already having shudder? How many miles? And do you have shudder now?

I think one of the new tune revisions we did had the opposite effect. I went back to an old revision and after some initial shudder, it is doing fine now. May be weather related too.

Wish Ford would extend 14m01 so I could get some free clutches and retune with Tom. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using FF Mobile
Old 08-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #17
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 228554
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Titanium hatch

Points 1,288, Level 19
Points: 1,288, Level: 19 Points: 1,288, Level: 19 Points: 1,288, Level: 19
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 1 scott9050 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider View Post
LOL, that's not true at all. Not even a little.
Yeah it is true, more than a little. Our car was never looked at, and the Service Manager said that none of them in for the repair were. He said If they did, it is all they would be doing all day every day. When my Mustang hood was replaced they looked at it, said "We're going to replace it" when Ford was pushing for the seam repair instead due to aluminum corrosion. Their service is the reason I have bought 5 new cars from them in the the past 5 years.

Quote:
DPS6 warranty repairs require pre-authorization from Ford for dealership reimbursement. They hook it up, run the diagnostic, submit it to Ford, and if the values are outside of spec, the warranty repair is authorized. It's timestamped and tied to the VIN.
Again, did not happen with me or the 30-40 others that were in front of me according to the Service Manager of a very well know northern Virginia dealer (there are only 2). Is it possible they were conducting the test after taking the cars in? Maybe.

Quote:
I mean, I guess a dealership might do it just because, but there would be a real and significant risk that they wouldn't get reimbursed by Ford corporate. There's literally no reason for them to skip the pre-authorization...which requires the test.
When you have hundreds of them coming in and your dealership is located in one of the top 5 richest counties in the nation, people can change brands anytime they wish. We went in, talked to the Service manager, he wrote our name down and gave us an appointment time to have it rebuilt. A week later the car was in the shop in the morning, by afternoon the car was finished. Period, end of story. I am not going to argue it anymore, these are our beater cars, nothing more. As long as they continue to reliably go with the 120-250 miles per day we each put on them, we will stick with them.
14 Mustang GT Paxton Supercharged 605 RWHP
Old 08-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #18
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 300666
What I Drive: 2015 Focus SE Auto

Points 2,076, Level 27
Points: 2,076, Level: 27 Points: 2,076, Level: 27 Points: 2,076, Level: 27
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 1 iceflow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greybeard View Post
Put new tires on it and drive it as long as possible. You put 40k a year on vehicles? Probably highway. Best thing for a dct. The car has already depreciated. You won’t lose money until you sell. If you get 4-5 years out of it you will be way ahead.
At 12K and likely highway miles, i think I might give that a try.

You could also run it to CarMax and see what they would buy it for. Offer would be valid for 7 days, provided you don't wind the mileage up in the 7 days.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 856, Level 15
Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15 Points: 856, Level: 15
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 99%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
Yeah it is true, more than a little. Our car was never looked at, and the Service Manager said that none of them in for the repair were. He said If they did, it is all they would be doing all day every day. When my Mustang hood was replaced they looked at it, said "We're going to replace it" when Ford was pushing for the seam repair instead due to aluminum corrosion. Their service is the reason I have bought 5 new cars from them in the the past 5 years.

Again, did not happen with me or the 30-40 others that were in front of me according to the Service Manager of a very well know northern Virginia dealer (there are only 2). Is it possible they were conducting the test after taking the cars in? Maybe.

When you have hundreds of them coming in and your dealership is located in one of the top 5 richest counties in the nation, people can change brands anytime they wish. We went in, talked to the Service manager, he wrote our name down and gave us an appointment time to have it rebuilt. A week later the car was in the shop in the morning, by afternoon the car was finished. Period, end of story. I am not going to argue it anymore, these are our beater cars, nothing more. As long as they continue to reliably go with the 120-250 miles per day we each put on them, we will stick with them.
Oh, well, my apologies. Clearly your eyeballs could see through walls and your vast knowledge of all things Ford gives you a depth of understanding that far exceeds that of my acquaintances who are actual techs making actual repairs on the DPS6 at actual dealerships. It never occurred to me that some random schmuck on the internet would know so much more than they would about the process!

I'll come to you next time I need some inside information to share on reddit and have picked up by the DFP, okay? I can't wait to see what treat you have to share with us!

I'll be back in a minute. My eyes rolled completely out of my skull and I need to go find them.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #20
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 228554
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Titanium hatch

Points 1,288, Level 19
Points: 1,288, Level: 19 Points: 1,288, Level: 19 Points: 1,288, Level: 19
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 1 scott9050 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider View Post
Oh, well, my apologies. Clearly your eyeballs could see through walls and your vast knowledge of all things Ford gives you a depth of understanding that far exceeds that of my acquaintances who are actual techs making actual repairs on the DPS6 at actual dealerships. It never occurred to me that some random schmuck on the internet would know so much more than they would about the process!

Someone got his internet panties in a bunch. Calling someone a schmuck because you can't win an argument or don't know what a volume dealer is because you live in the sticks is sad. Admitting your knowledge is second hand instead of first hand like mine and arguing about it make you a special sort of dumb. How many DCT equipped cars have you owned Skippy? I've had 3 with over 276,000 miles driven.

Quote:
I'll come to you next time I need some inside information to share on reddit and have picked up by the DFP, okay? I can't wait to see what treat you have to share with us!
Young know-it-all's on the internet. Gotta love them.....especially when they get angry.

Quote:
I'll be back in a minute. My eyes rolled completely out of my skull and I need to go find them.
They are probably in your ass and popped when you came out to post.
14 Mustang GT Paxton Supercharged 605 RWHP

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in