Transmission Whine (DCT) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 334473
What I Drive: 2016 Titanium Hatchback

Points 14, Level 1
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 1 monkeyboy0076 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Transmission Whine (DCT)

Howdy,

Iíve been a lurker here for a while, but never really had a reason to post. However, I recently ran into an issue that I havenít been able to find mentioned before. I have a 2016 titanium hatchback (purchased in December 2015) with just over 78,000 miles on it and the dreaded DCT. While Iíve had a few stutters and hard shifts in the past, it has been nothing like the problems that most have reported with their DCTs over the years, so I thought Iíve been pretty lucky and havenít had any work done on it Ė just routine ďworksĒ packages at the dealership.

TL;DR: High-pitched whining noise on shift between 2nd and 3rd. Doesnít seem to affect performance/mpg/shifting, but noticeable. Took it into the dealership who confirmed it is from the transmission but they have to take it apart to diagnose. I checked and my VIN is not under any of the current TSB/warranty programs. Quoting $1,100 for the teardown/rebuild plus parts but several days to get the work done. Any thoughts on what this could be?

This all changed about a week ago when I came back from vacation. The car had been fine before I left and then sitting in my driveway for about a week. The first time I drove it, I noticed a high-pitched whining noise when the car got up to about 15-25mph. The noise would go away after I got past 30mph and perhaps was covered up by other engine or road noise and I couldnít hear it after that. The whining sounds like something that is spinning up and then spinning down Ė like an electric drill or something small like that. As I more closely observed the behavior over the following week, this is what I found:
  • Whining noise starts occurring on the shift between 2nd and 3rd gear, peaking just after 3rd engages
  • The shift into 3rd occurs as normal, but the whining noise continues for about 2-3 seconds after the shift
  • The whining noise happens again at the shift between 4th and 5th gear; at this point it is not as loud and/or is covered by other engine/road noises
  • The shift into 5th occurs as normal, but the whining noise continues for about 2-3 seconds after the shift
  • Once in 6th, there is an occasional faint whine
  • In down shifting from 5th to 4th I donít hear a whine
  • In down shifting from 3rd to 2nd, the whine shows up again; the shift occurs as normal but the whining noise continues for 2-3 seconds after the shift

Throughout this whole time, I havenít noticed a change in performance, gas mileage, or other abnormal shifting with the transmission. I made all these observations while in D but the same thing happens when I switch over to S and manually select the gears. The noise isnít associated with any specific vibration that I can feel or any slipping of gears. I had a friend help me look at a few things and we eliminated the alternator and power steering as potential sources of noise.

After about a week, I finally dropped the car off with the dealer. The service advisor called me a few hours later to tell me that they have definitely identified it as coming from the transmission. However, they need more time to pull the transmission apart and diagnose the exact issue. In brining up the TSB/extended warranties for the DCTs, he said it likely is not the TCM and that my VIN is not part of the extension anyway. The suggestion was to leave the car with them for a few days while they could do the full diagnosis and repair Ė quoting at $1,100 plus parts. Of course, they didnít have any loaners availableÖ but thatís beside the point.

So long story short (too late), Iím just a little lost as to what might be the issue. I am in no way a mechanic, but I feel like the symptoms donít seem to match what has been reported by other owners having DCT problems. Just thought I would lay this out on the forum to see if anyone had any ideas and thoughts on cost to fix. If nothing else, Iíll try to remember to update this post when I have a resolution so it is at least documented for others who may be in the same boat.

I appreciate any thoughts anyone might have. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100382
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum Titanium

Points 438, Level 8
Points: 438, Level: 8 Points: 438, Level: 8 Points: 438, Level: 8
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 8%
FF Reputation: 2 playklax Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy0076 View Post
Howdy,

Iíve been a lurker here for a while, but never really had a reason to post. However, I recently ran into an issue that I havenít been able to find mentioned before. I have a 2016 titanium hatchback (purchased in December 2015) with just over 78,000 miles on it and the dreaded DCT. While Iíve had a few stutters and hard shifts in the past, it has been nothing like the problems that most have reported with their DCTs over the years, so I thought Iíve been pretty lucky and havenít had any work done on it Ė just routine ďworksĒ packages at the dealership.

TL;DR: High-pitched whining noise on shift between 2nd and 3rd. Doesnít seem to affect performance/mpg/shifting, but noticeable. Took it into the dealership who confirmed it is from the transmission but they have to take it apart to diagnose. I checked and my VIN is not under any of the current TSB/warranty programs. Quoting $1,100 for the teardown/rebuild plus parts but several days to get the work done. Any thoughts on what this could be?

This all changed about a week ago when I came back from vacation. The car had been fine before I left and then sitting in my driveway for about a week. The first time I drove it, I noticed a high-pitched whining noise when the car got up to about 15-25mph. The noise would go away after I got past 30mph and perhaps was covered up by other engine or road noise and I couldnít hear it after that. The whining sounds like something that is spinning up and then spinning down Ė like an electric drill or something small like that. As I more closely observed the behavior over the following week, this is what I found:
  • Whining noise starts occurring on the shift between 2nd and 3rd gear, peaking just after 3rd engages
  • The shift into 3rd occurs as normal, but the whining noise continues for about 2-3 seconds after the shift
  • The whining noise happens again at the shift between 4th and 5th gear; at this point it is not as loud and/or is covered by other engine/road noises
  • The shift into 5th occurs as normal, but the whining noise continues for about 2-3 seconds after the shift
  • Once in 6th, there is an occasional faint whine
  • In down shifting from 5th to 4th I donít hear a whine
  • In down shifting from 3rd to 2nd, the whine shows up again; the shift occurs as normal but the whining noise continues for 2-3 seconds after the shift

Throughout this whole time, I havenít noticed a change in performance, gas mileage, or other abnormal shifting with the transmission. I made all these observations while in D but the same thing happens when I switch over to S and manually select the gears. The noise isnít associated with any specific vibration that I can feel or any slipping of gears. I had a friend help me look at a few things and we eliminated the alternator and power steering as potential sources of noise.

After about a week, I finally dropped the car off with the dealer. The service advisor called me a few hours later to tell me that they have definitely identified it as coming from the transmission. However, they need more time to pull the transmission apart and diagnose the exact issue. In brining up the TSB/extended warranties for the DCTs, he said it likely is not the TCM and that my VIN is not part of the extension anyway. The suggestion was to leave the car with them for a few days while they could do the full diagnosis and repair Ė quoting at $1,100 plus parts. Of course, they didnít have any loaners availableÖ but thatís beside the point.

So long story short (too late), Iím just a little lost as to what might be the issue. I am in no way a mechanic, but I feel like the symptoms donít seem to match what has been reported by other owners having DCT problems. Just thought I would lay this out on the forum to see if anyone had any ideas and thoughts on cost to fix. If nothing else, Iíll try to remember to update this post when I have a resolution so it is at least documented for others who may be in the same boat.

I appreciate any thoughts anyone might have. Thanks!
I'm curious what this is myself. I don't have this particular issue, and I'm not a mechanic, but it suggests to me that there's something going on with the B side of the clutch since it's occurring mostly on 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears. Just my two cents, but I have no idea... Keep us posted!
Old 08-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 9,321, Level 64
Points: 9,321, Level: 64 Points: 9,321, Level: 64 Points: 9,321, Level: 64
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 62 amc49 Excellent Standing Member
Has anybody even thought of checking the fluid level? If it has leaked low you may be unnecessarily tearing up spinning components. Whine in a manual type trans (It IS a manual, simply one with an automatic overhead) is often a bearing complaining and often because it's low on fluid. It can be gear-to-gear interface too caused again by the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Points 14, Level 1
Level Up 27% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Has anybody even thought of checking the fluid level? If it has leaked low you may be unnecessarily tearing up spinning components. Whine in a manual type trans (It IS a manual, simply one with an automatic overhead) is often a bearing complaining and often because it's low on fluid. It can be gear-to-gear interface too caused again by the same thing.
Thanks for the feedback. I had my car in to the dealership for "The Works" service package two days before dropping it off to diagnose the transmission issues. I assumed that they would check that as part of the service, but now notice on the vehicle check-up sheet that it is not marked as something being checked or filled. There's a note on the vehicle check-up sheet that it is only performed if the vehicle is equipped with a dipstick, but I don't have enough knowledge to know if that applies to my car or not. I'm hoping that they would check the fluid level as part of the in-depth diagnostic process, but I'm still waiting for them to get to my car and give me an update.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 14, Level 1
Level Up 27% Completed
Forum Activity 8%
I just got a call from the service manager at the dealership. He said that differential in the transmission failed and will need to be replaced along with shafts, clutch, fluid, etc. Of course, he got me while I was out walking the dog, so I didn't get a chance to write everything down exactly. He quoted me a price of $2,850 and about a week, depending on parts. One of the parts is on backorder with Ford and they don't know when it would be available or if they could get it from another dealership.

I'm pretty surprised that such major work is needed after only 78,000mi. The manager did acknowledge the typical DPS6 clutch problems but said that he has not seen this specific issue before. I guess I'll go for the repair since it is the only car I have, but not making me feel really confident about the longevity or availability of the replacement parts.

Anyone experience similar issues with their DCT? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91663
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 SES

Points 918, Level 16
Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 6 pbfoot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy0076 View Post
I just got a call from the service manager at the dealership. He said that differential in the transmission failed and will need to be replaced along with shafts, clutch, fluid, etc. Of course, he got me while I was out walking the dog, so I didn't get a chance to write everything down exactly. He quoted me a price of $2,850 and about a week, depending on parts. One of the parts is on backorder with Ford and they don't know when it would be available or if they could get it from another dealership.

I'm pretty surprised that such major work is needed after only 78,000mi. The manager did acknowledge the typical DPS6 clutch problems but said that he has not seen this specific issue before. I guess I'll go for the repair since it is the only car I have, but not making me feel really confident about the longevity or availability of the replacement parts.

Anyone experience similar issues with their DCT? Thanks.
This sounds like dealership bullshit. You need to reach out to Ford. It should be 100% covered.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in