Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Weight Reduction (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/814583-weight-reduction.html)

Dakota97 07-17-2019 12:17 PM

Weight Reduction

1 Attachment(s)
Like many of us I daily my 2012 5 Speed Hatch but also like to hit the track on the weekend. According to the internet our cars weigh 2889lbs but I feel I could get more out of our ponies if we cut that down.
I’ve already removed half the back seat, the hatch cover divider thing, purchased aluminum wheels and added carbon vinyl to cut down weight but I’m wondering what electrical motors and junk can be removed (active grille, power mirrors, extra plastic, etc) without affecting the performance of the car.
I live in Ontario in the land of salt and snow 8/12 months but send it anyways with our good friend the e-brake on ice and I don’t know if the active grille protects the rad or what. I’ve got plans to cut into various body parts anyways so as long as she runs without an engine light I’m down to take out nearly anything
Whatever creative mods people have done are welcome as ideas thx

DirtyDave 07-17-2019 12:43 PM

Take out Spare tire and jack at the track. Might need to keep it in there when daily driving though.

Gut the rear doors and fix the windows so they dont roll down.

Take out rear speakers if you dont care much for fancy stereo stuff

AdhesiveTeflon 07-17-2019 12:59 PM

If you're handy, you can remove the AC compressor and replace it with another idler pulley if there's a kit.

Rip the door panels off and start cutting in there. Same as under the dash.

Dakota97 07-17-2019 01:44 PM

Would a conversion to manual windows be outrageous? Like from previous gen Foci

RonMaiden 07-17-2019 06:13 PM

Dct?

Dakota97 07-17-2019 06:18 PM

No its a manual as stated. As for the whole "buy an ST/better car" argument, lets start a thread educating people on negative equity. It would be cheaper to drop a FocusPower turbo kit in the car than to absorb what I owe and an ST

RonMaiden 07-17-2019 06:21 PM

I said that before I edited it because I wasn't sure if you had the DCT to work with which would already be a disadvantage for racing and reliabilty. Not being negative toward the car as much as tranny choice.

Sorry.

Dakota97 07-17-2019 06:33 PM

no worries man, I worked at the dealership at the time and was aware of the issues ahead before I purchased. I'm sure people on here has seen or heard "Buy an ST' at some point and thought the same thing. lol

Dakota97 07-17-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdhesiveTeflon (Post 11391963)
If you're handy, you can remove the AC compressor and replace it with another idler pulley if there's a kit.

Rip the door panels off and start cutting in there. Same as under the dash.

would removing the A/C compressor also kill the heat in the winter?

zacautomotive 07-17-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota97 (Post 11392039)
would removing the A/C compressor also kill the heat in the winter?

It would kill the defrost.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile