2013 Focus Projector Retrofit Questions - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 2013 ST3

Points 13,118, Level 74
Points: 13,118, Level: 74 Points: 13,118, Level: 74 Points: 13,118, Level: 74
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 42 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Snax View Post
Wow! I didnít think that a D2S retrofit would be that involved. Itís no longer a question of if I can. Itís a question of do I have the time and the work space.

I was initially thinking about a D2S retrofit because I wanted to run 55w HIDs. However, the Mini H1 projectors from The Retrofit Source (TRS) are 35w HIDs only, and the D2S are 35w or 55w. Since this is my first retrofit project, I think I will run with the Mini H1 projectors from TRS.
Ive not done a retrofit on a focus but did one on on my brother's Lincoln TC's most recently. I suggest starting with aftermarket housings, just so you dont have to worry about delays. I was able to work on them over the course of a few weeks when i had spare time.

I did use the mini D2s stage III's with 55w bulbs/ballasts. The end results were pretty impressive, just much better beam pattern and throw compared to the 35w i have in my ST.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 08:41 PM   #12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 401210
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

Points 156, Level 3
Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Lord Snax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
Any luck starting on a retrofit Lord Snax? I've had a whole TRS Mini H1 Kit sitting in my garage for almost a year and haven't had the time/confidence to try retrofitting my 2014 Titanium headlights. I retrofitted my 2008 Honda Civic headlights with the same kit and it was great. But finding good build threads with the Focus isn't easy. The permaseal and complex factory circuits are worrying me the most. Thanks!
Yes! I finished the retrofit and it looks great! (Sorry, I didn't update this thread about it.) Here is a picture with my RGB demon eyes set to green!

When I started this retrofit project, I used videos and write ups for other cars. I find most retrofits to be pretty universal. Each car is different, but the core steps are the same. If you did it on your '08 Civic, you can do it to your Focus.

For the headlights, I used an aftermarket set of headlights I found on Amazon by ACANII. They used that black permaseal stuff and stapled the headlights to boot. I used a small flat head screw driver to pry the staples out and a heat gun to soften the glue. To pry the lens off the headlight I used a Christmas tree retainer pry tool. When I put the lenses back on, I needed silicone sealant around the lens and any holes I drilled for the wires to keep the rain water out.

As for the wiring, I used a relay kit from TRS with an Anti-flicker Capacitor Link wired into the driver's side headlight wires and a 50 watt load resistor on the passenger's side headlight wiring. This solved the "Headlamp Failure" warning on my dash. Also, the Anti-flicker Capacitor Link should take care of any flickering if your Focus uses the low beam bulb for daytime running lights.

Hope this helps!

- Lord Snax
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Focus Projector Retrofit Questions-img_4740.jpg  

Last edited by Lord Snax; 11-04-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #13
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 156, Level 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Ive not done a retrofit on a focus but did one on on my brother's Lincoln TC's most recently. I suggest starting with aftermarket housings, just so you dont have to worry about delays. I was able to work on them over the course of a few weeks when i had spare time.

I did use the mini D2s stage III's with 55w bulbs/ballasts. The end results were pretty impressive, just much better beam pattern and throw compared to the 35w i have in my ST.
I'm currently running 35w HIDs in my Focus right now. I chose those over 55w because TRS would not honor the warranty on the Mini H1 projectors if I used 55w ballasts.

After running for a few months now with the 35s. I have though about throwing the warranty out the window and grabbing a set of 55w ballasts. And whenever the reflector bowl fades in the projector, I'll go for either a D2S retrofit or a LED projector retrofit. Not sure...

- Lord Snax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #14
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 240882
What I Drive: 2014 Blue Candy Titanium

Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 cbp27 Good Standing Member
Looks great! Makes me wish I got lens etching and RGB too. I only got a single color demon eye kit.

I'm thinking about buying some cheap replacement headlights to retrofit, but I've read some reviews saying they start to develop small cracks in the lenses soon after installing. Otherwise, I would just use them to drive while I retrofit the stock headlights.

Just a couple more questions haha. Since the Focus headlight uses a "universal" plug to connect to the vehicle wiring, did you just connect everything inside of the headlight itself? And where did you end up mounting your ballasts? I've read that some people mount them on the bottom of the headlight. Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #15
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 156, Level 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
Looks great! Makes me wish I got lens etching and RGB too. I only got a single color demon eye kit.

I'm thinking about buying some cheap replacement headlights to retrofit, but I've read some reviews saying they start to develop small cracks in the lenses soon after installing. Otherwise, I would just use them to drive while I retrofit the stock headlights.

Just a couple more questions haha. Since the Focus headlight uses a "universal" plug to connect to the vehicle wiring, did you just connect everything inside of the headlight itself? And where did you end up mounting your ballasts? I've read that some people mount them on the bottom of the headlight. Thanks again!
Bummer! I thought about just getting a single color demon eyes, as well. However, a friend of mine told me, "Get the RGB! There is no other color!" (What makes this funny is that, ironically. He is completely color blind. ) On the other hand, you can take the lenses out of the projectors and send them in to get etched. Or order a new set of lenses and have TRS etch the new ones.

I also read a lot of reviews about the cheaper aftermarket headlights fading and cracking. But, I've found, through some research, that simply waxing the headlights as if they where part of the paint helps prevent the cracking and fading.

Another reason I went the aftermarket headlight route, is so I have a right and left headlight adjustment. The factory lights only have an up and down adjustment. This way I can set that step up part of the projector beam right where I want it.

When it came to wiring, I did most of my splicing and connecting inside the headlights and drilled holes for any pass throughs as necessary. The H1 HID bulb pass through grommet (If I am remembering correctly) needs a 1 1/8in. hole. This is so I can easily (and quickly) return the car back to stock for any reason.

What I did was, I just cut the H11 connector off on both headlights and spliced on some butt connectors similar to what a H1 bulb would use. I did this because the Morimoto H1 HID bulbs have that built in pass through rubber grommet with a H1 to 9006 harness adapter with it. Your kit should be the same as mine, but it may come with a H11 to 9006 adapter.

The ballasts I just haphazardly zip tied them behind the headlights. I thought about mounting them to the bottom of the headlights, but I wasn't sure the headlights would mount correctly in the car with the ballasts mounted there.

Another thing. I also wired the projectors to the high beam circuit. This is so I have high and low beams on my projectors. (I'm really glad I did that.) The demon eyes I wired into the parking light circuit on that big wire harness that connects to the headlight itself. You can wire it to a switch if you want. I just didn't want to dill any more holes in may dash than necessary. An added bonus, is that if I forget to turn my demon eyes off the car's battery rundown protection will help me there.

Hope I explained everything clearly for you!

- Lord Snax
cbp27 likes this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in