Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Rear hatch struts failed (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/813563-rear-hatch-struts-failed.html)

reverendhtc 06-10-2019 06:09 AM

Rear hatch struts failed

Both the rear struts (shocks) that hold up the rear hatch door of my 2012 focus have failed.

They are both leaking oil. The result is a very heavy rear door that will not stay opened.

I've not seen this on a modern car before.

Anyone else had this issue. I guess they won't be too difficult / expensive to replace ..... but still, not the best quality.

Arco-Zakus 06-10-2019 07:34 AM

They are 7 years old. Nothing lasts forever. Has the hatch been opened and closed a lot? Do you keep the car near the ocean, or in a very hot climate?

reverendhtc 06-10-2019 07:55 AM

Perhaps I am asking too much for longevity. Yes the car is kept in a hot climate.

Looks like they won't be too bad to change. A few clips to undo.

Pokerrun388 06-10-2019 08:40 AM

I had that happen on my old Ď05 XZ5. This was probably ten years ago & I just ordered them through the Ford Dealer & when I went to pick them up the tech guy offered to exchange them out for me. Iíve had no issues on my Ď13 Hatch.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

IrishBrewer 06-10-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverendhtc (Post 11384409)
Perhaps I am asking too much for longevity. Yes the car is kept in a hot climate.

Looks like they won't be too bad to change. A few clips to undo.

I haven't replaced them on my Focus yet but just did on my Suburban. All that was needed was a flat blade screwdriver to remove the clips to get the old ones out and the new ones snap into place without the need for any tools. The one thing that you may need is a helper or a piece of wood to prop the hatch open while you work on it. It helps to just replace one at a time if the old ones are still working at all.

pasta 06-10-2019 09:18 AM

Would order from RockAuto.

reverendhtc 06-10-2019 09:19 AM

Okay thanks. Sounds like an easy job. I'll definitely need to go for the wood / helper option as they have both failed at the same time.

saintsfins 06-10-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't expect to get more than 7 years out of hatch/hood struts.

felixthecat 06-10-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintsfins (Post 11384457)
i wouldn't expect to get more than 7 years out of hatch/hood struts.

x2^^^

Arco-Zakus 06-10-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Perhaps I am asking too much for longevity. ...

It's not unreasonable to expect them to last longer, but the engineers who designed the car were probably given a target for the total cost to manufacture it, and the requirement that parts like that just last past the warranty. Looks like they accomplished that, at least.