Lightweight DCT Flywheel, 3D model - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By IrishBrewer
  • 1 Post By AdhesiveTeflon
  • 1 Post By AdhesiveTeflon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2019, 11:48 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 401426
What I Drive: 2016 White Focus SE Hatchback DCT

Points 33, Level 1
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 Zlothra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Lightweight DCT Flywheel, 3D model

First post, so sorry if I posted in wrong area.

I got bored and thought about upgrading the flywheel for the DCT/DPS6 transmission. I couldn't find any aftermarket transmission parts. Probably for a good reason.

I'm still new to 3d modeling, so my models may not be accurate. I did buy a used flywheel to use as my reference.
I counted 112 teeth, counted a couple of times and labelled each tooth. So hoping it's the right amount.

So the main question to go along with this;
Would there be more cons than pros with a lightweight flywheel in the DCT transmissions?
Would it be worth the trouble?

I'm driving a 2016 2.0L DCT

OEM Flywheel:

Lightweight Flywheel:

If anyone is interested in the 3D models I can share the files. I used Sketchup (SKP), but I have an add-on to convert to STL.

Last edited by Zlothra; 05-28-2019 at 11:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 561, Level 11
Points: 561, Level: 11 Points: 561, Level: 11 Points: 561, Level: 11
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 49%
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
To be honest, I would never do this for a DCT transmisson as it will throw off the shifting on an already sketchy transmission. At the very least, it would require a pretty major retune of the shifting scheme. I just think you are asking for problems and with the known problems of the DCT, you don't want to compound things by adding another variable to the mix that can easily make things worse.

For a manual transmission, it might be doable but it would throw off shifting and idling there as well. It might allow some performance gains in shifting at the cost of ease of shifting as it will be less forgiving. This might be something someone might want to do to an RS if they do some racing but it would not make for a comfortable daily driver. Neat idea though and I like your modeling - good job with that.
PratoN and Zlothra like this.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 355553
What I Drive: 15 Focus Slow Edition

Points 376, Level 7
Points: 376, Level: 7 Points: 376, Level: 7 Points: 376, Level: 7
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 1 AdhesiveTeflon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
To be honest, I would never do this for a DCT transmisson as it will throw off the shifting on an already sketchy transmission. At the very least, it would require a pretty major retune of the shifting scheme. I just think you are asking for problems and with the known problems of the DCT, you don't want to compound things by adding another variable to the mix that can easily make things worse.
This. In the Evo's 6spd DCT, the TCU (that hasn't been cracked yet) is programmed to the weight of the flywheel. Having a lightweight flywheel would throw off every single shift and clutch pressure. I'd imagine it would be the same for the PowerShit trans.
Zlothra likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Points 33, Level 1
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post

For a manual transmission, it might be doable but it would throw off shifting and idling there as well. It might allow some performance gains in shifting at the cost of ease of shifting as it will be less forgiving. This might be something someone might want to do to an RS if they do some racing but it would not make for a comfortable daily driver. Neat idea though and I like your modeling - good job with that.
I had a feeling that'd be the case. At least it was fun to make. I'll have to look elsewhere for performance.

Thank for the compliment!

Sent from my SM-G960U using FF Mobile
Old 05-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 561, Level 11
Points: 561, Level: 11 Points: 561, Level: 11 Points: 561, Level: 11
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 49%
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlothra View Post
I had a feeling that'd be the case. At least it was fun to make. I'll have to look elsewhere for performance.

Thank for the compliment!
You bet. While this doesn't apply to you since you were developing this for the DCT, people with MTs will replace their flywheels with heavier, Dual Mass Flywheels (DMFs). This is done to improve the shift behavior to achieve smoother shifts. So, this is a case where lighter is not always better.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 249249
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL sedan

Points 756, Level 14
Points: 756, Level: 14 Points: 756, Level: 14 Points: 756, Level: 14
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 SedanRacer Good Standing Member
Even if you did make a lighter flywheel, the effect would be negligible. I estimate the clutch pack to weigh something like 20-30 pounds compared to the flywheel which is more like 8-9. The few ounces of weight you can save on the flywheel would mean nothing.

Good job on the CAD model! That looks just like the auto flywheel I have sitting in my garage.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Points 33, Level 1
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedanRacer View Post
Even if you did make a lighter flywheel, the effect would be negligible. I estimate the clutch pack to weigh something like 20-30 pounds compared to the flywheel which is more like 8-9. The few ounces of weight you can save on the flywheel would mean nothing.

Good job on the CAD model! That looks just like the auto flywheel I have sitting in my garage.
I was thinking of making it out of chromoly, was hoping it'd be a pound or more lighter than the oem one. If it will only save a few ounces then I'd probably be getting more performance with the grimmspeed/Odyssey battery kit I installed.

Thanks! This has been my most intricate project so far. It was a good learning experience.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 376, Level 7
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 34%
Quote:
I was thinking of making it out of chromoly, was hoping it'd be a pound or more lighter than the oem one. If it will only save a few ounces then I'd probably be getting more performance with the grimmspeed/Odyssey battery kit I installed.

Thanks! This has been my most intricate project so far. It was a good learning experience.
Definitely a good initiative, just the wrong part for improvements (not on your judgement though, just the fact of DCT tuning.) I'd think that the gains of having a lightweight flywheel for an N/A focus would actually be pretty decent, considering that these engines don't gain much at all from bolt-ons anyways.
Zlothra likes this.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Points 33, Level 1
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdhesiveTeflon View Post
Definitely a good initiative, just the wrong part for improvements (not on your judgement though, just the fact of DCT tuning.) I'd think that the gains of having a lightweight flywheel for an N/A focus would actually be pretty decent, considering that these engines don't gain much at all from bolt-ons anyways.
Exactly, I haven't really noticed much with the bolts ons I've added. I feel like I've done every mod except the thermostat and a tune.
Was looking into a meth injection kit, but wasn't sure if it'd be bad for the clutch or worth it.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Points 376, Level 7
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 34%
Quote:
Exactly, I haven't really noticed much with the bolts ons I've added. I feel like I've done every mod except the thermostat and a tune.
Was looking into a meth injection kit, but wasn't sure if it'd be bad for the clutch or worth it.

I wouldn't bother with meth injection for a car that's not strictly a drag car; there's just way to many things that could go wrong. E85 or a turbo setup would be more reliable.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in