Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   2015 Ford Focus Active Grill Shutter (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/813159-2015-ford-focus-active-grill-shutter.html)

Saga286 05-24-2019 04:27 PM

2015 Ford Focus Active Grill Shutter

So, I just took my focus to the dealership to find out why my A/C was not working (It would cool for a good 20-30 minutes, then stop cooling after that) and why I kept hearing a weird whirring type noise whenever I accelerate. They just called back and said the A/C issue is caused by my active grill shutters not opening and causing the engine to get a little to hot which in turn shuts off the A/C, I'm not entirely sure how true this is seeing that this occurs when I am just sitting in a parking spot and not moving during my lunch. In any case they want to charge aprox $900 to fix it. Definitely can't afford that right now.

They haven't figured out the whirring noise yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insight?

Garland15949 05-24-2019 11:39 PM

my grill shutters quit about a month ago on my 2012 . i just reached through the grill and pulled them open with my fingers and just let them opened all is good

Garland15949 05-24-2019 11:53 PM

whirring is probably cooling fan running at high speed trying to get air

StLCards 06-04-2019 01:04 PM

I had posted about my 2013 which had the same issue. No responses yet. But anyway, had an issue with battery light coming on all the time. The mechanic changed out the shutter, and then I took it back for similar issues(battery light kept coming on again). Turned out the connector to the shutter had filled with water and melted. Not sure why. They opened the shutters and unplugged them. Thus far it's doing fine that way. The mechanic is supposed to call when they can locate a connector, but after talking to my dad, because I don't remember older cars having these things. The shutters seem at first glance like something to break and cost money. Thinking about just leaving mine as is, depending if the mechanic finds the connector and how much it would be to replace it.

You might just ask them what happens if you just open them and unplug the connector. My guess is that maybe there is a slight drop in gas mileage and that maybe the car takes a couple more minutes to warm up on cold days. But on the other hand, lets say you save 1/2 mile per gallon if they are working(I'd guess less), how long does the lost gas mileage take to equal 900 dollars? Seems like a while to me.

AdhesiveTeflon 06-04-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StLCards (Post 11382927)
I had posted about my 2013 which had the same issue. No responses yet. But anyway, had an issue with battery light coming on all the time. The mechanic changed out the shutter, and then I took it back for similar issues(battery light kept coming on again). Turned out the connector to the shutter had filled with water and melted. Not sure why. They opened the shutters and unplugged them. Thus far it's doing fine that way. The mechanic is supposed to call when they can locate a connector, but after talking to my dad, because I don't remember older cars having these things. The shutters seem at first glance like something to break and cost money. Thinking about just leaving mine as is, depending if the mechanic finds the connector and how much it would be to replace it.

You might just ask them what happens if you just open them and unplug the connector. My guess is that maybe there is a slight drop in gas mileage and that maybe the car takes a couple more minutes to warm up on cold days. But on the other hand, lets say you save 1/2 mile per gallon if they are working(I'd guess less), how long does the lost gas mileage take to equal 900 dollars? Seems like a while to me.

I think it was something like 3% that was the official figures for the shutters, but that 3% can be easily negated by any other driving factor. Not worth it to replace really IMO.

StLCards 06-04-2019 01:29 PM

Now question, and maybe this will help the OP also. My mechanic said basically I wouldn't need them in warm weather(IE during warm weather they can stay open). During cold weather should not be any issue correct? Aside from car probably taking a couple minutes longer to warm up fully. If no other issues, I will probably leave my car as is, unless the mechanic can change the connector for a very low price since they already put the new shutter in my car before I knew about the connector being bad.

AdhesiveTeflon 06-04-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StLCards (Post 11382937)
Now question, and maybe this will help the OP also. My mechanic said basically I wouldn't need them in warm weather(IE during warm weather they can stay open). During cold weather should not be any issue correct? Aside from car probably taking a couple minutes longer to warm up fully. If no other issues, I will probably leave my car as is, unless the mechanic can change the connector for a very low price since they already put the new shutter in my car before I knew about the connector being bad.

I have the 3cyl 1L engine and it's needed on ours to help with warming up the engine...but the engine never fully warms up anyways when temps are below freezing anyways. In warm weather I wouldn't worry about it. In cold weather I'd test it out first to see if you notice the car taking too long to warm up or struggles to stay warm when cruising around.

jaymz9350 06-04-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StLCards (Post 11382937)

Should be fine. Mine are completely removed since a racoon smashed mine. Never noticed any issues warming up in the winter (can't compare to warm up vs shutter working as I've only had it one winter) and it got sub zero here this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FF Mobile

Garland15949 06-05-2019 02:24 AM

they open up about 20 percent below 35 degrees anyways so they dont freeze shut

Ductape91 06-05-2019 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymz9350 (Post 11383117)
Should be fine. Mine are completely removed since a racoon smashed mine. Never noticed any issues warming up in the winter (can't compare to warm up vs shutter working as I've only had it one winter) and it got sub zero here this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FF Mobile

Does your fan run constantly since removing your shutters?