My focus started shifting really weird tonight... - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 122337
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus

Points 416, Level 8
Points: 416, Level: 8 Points: 416, Level: 8 Points: 416, Level: 8
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 1 civedm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I went to a different Ford dealer and they said because my car didnt throw any 14M01 or 14M02 specific DTC codes, they won't do the work. This is craziness. I've done all the proper maintence on my vehicle myself. I feel like that I'm being told that its normal for a ford transmission to act like this after 130,000 miles. All of the sudden stop working correctly and just as quickly start working correctly again. How do I get a hold of an appropriate person a corporate to discuss this. I never had a vehicle with transmission issues. Aren't transmission the last to go on a car if taken care of properly?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #22
Focus Enthusiast

Points 416, Level 8
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
My TCM was replaced under 14M02. What I experienced was immediate total loss of power then the engine shut down (no warning whatsoever) and would not restart. I had to have it towed to the dealer. The only possible telltale sign was that I was experiencing a slight delay between turning the key and the car starting. This went on for months but it would always start and run normally. After the TCM was replaced (and no other parts were replaced), that behavior went away so I'm assuming it was related.
I actually experienced the delayed engine starting numerous times. You turn the key and maybe 3 seconds later the engine would start.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #23
Focus Enthusiast

Points 416, Level 8
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
I called Ford and the woman I spoke with said to bring it in and have the dealer diagnose the vehicle. She said I have to pay for the diagnostic check and that fee would only be waived if it's determined that it's the TCM.

Now.... The car isnt experiencing the issue anymore. How are they going to diagnose the car if the car isn't exhibiting the issue anymore? I don't want to pay around 300 dollars for nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #24
Focus Addict

Fan#: 278401
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 5spd

Points 3,655, Level 38
Points: 3,655, Level: 38 Points: 3,655, Level: 38 Points: 3,655, Level: 38
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 1 saintsfins Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by civedm View Post
I never had a vehicle with transmission issues. Aren't transmission the last to go on a car if taken care of properly?
No, it varies. I've never had trans issues, but I remember Chrysler, Ford and Honda having issues in the past where a good number of transmissions in certain years/models were failing well under 100K miles.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #25
Focus Enthusiast

Points 416, Level 8
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfins View Post
Quote:
I never had a vehicle with transmission issues. Aren't transmission the last to go on a car if taken care of properly?
No, it varies. I've never had trans issues, but I remember Chrysler, Ford and Honda having issues in the past where a good number of transmissions in certain years/models were failing well under 100K miles.
I think I'm just gonna sell the car cheap. I don't know what to do. The last time this happened it happened a while ago. I don't know whether to sell it cheap or just keep driving it without having it looked at. I dont want to pay to have them diagnose the transmission. My car has symptoms of electronic transmission issues, they should diagnose it on their own. When my newly acquired used Tacoma starting making drivetrain noises, I found out there was an extended warranty on the drivetrain. Because my drivetrain was making noises, the dealer took it right in to diagnose and they immediately fixed the problem. I got a loaner care for the day and everything. I didn't have to pay anything. I find it extremely weird that my original headlights and original v-belts lasted longer than the transmission. Absolutely craziness.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #26
Focus Addict

Fan#: 278401
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 5spd

Points 3,655, Level 38
Points: 3,655, Level: 38 Points: 3,655, Level: 38 Points: 3,655, Level: 38
Level Up 4% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 1 saintsfins Good Standing Member
Quote:
I think I'm just gonna sell the car cheap.
I'd probably do the same if I had a DCT Focus. Sucks, bc otherwise these are good cars.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #27
Focus Enthusiast

Points 416, Level 8
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfins View Post
Quote:
I think I'm just gonna sell the car cheap.
I'd probably do the same if I had a DCT Focus. Sucks, bc otherwise these are good cars.
Yea I like the car. I just dont like the fact that they sold me the car with a POS transmission etc and don't want to make it right with burdening me. I'm still hardpressed to believe its the actual transmission that broken. I drove this car like a grandpa and always changed the fluids. To hard believe with all that the tranny is fried. Whatever.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #28
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 569, Level 11
Points: 569, Level: 11 Points: 569, Level: 11 Points: 569, Level: 11
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 58%
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yea I like the car. I just dont like the fact that they sold me the car with a POS transmission etc and don't want to make it right with burdening me. I'm still hardpressed to believe its the actual transmission that broken. I drove this car like a grandpa and always changed the fluids. To hard believe with all that the tranny is fried. Whatever.
If it is the TCM and based on what you described, I'm almost certain it is, this is not a maintenace part. It is an electronic transmission control device so there is really nothing you could do to help or harm it by maintaining the vehicle or driving it differently. Yes, there's a small chance that it is something else and you will have to pay for diagnostics and it seems like they are trying to scare you into not having it evaluated to avoid the warranty work but you will just need to decide for yourself if you want to take that risk. You've done your homework to do your best to find the source of the problem so there's no wrong answer.

As it is now, you have a vehicle that is not very drivable as it is not reliable. If it were me, I would bite the bullet and take it in.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #29
Focus Enthusiast

Points 416, Level 8
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
Quote:
If it is the TCM and based on what you described, I'm almost certain it is, this is not a maintenace part. It is an electronic transmission control device so there is really nothing you could do to help or harm it by maintaining the vehicle or driving it differently. Yes, there's a small chance that it is something else and you will have to pay for diagnostics and it seems like they are trying to scare you into not having it evaluated to avoid the warranty work but you will just need to decide for yourself if you want to take that risk. You've done your homework to do your best to find the source of the problem so there's no wrong answer.

As it is now, you have a vehicle that is not very drivable as it is not reliable. If it were me, I would bite the bullet and take it in.
I just have trouble trusting people. Like you said, it sounds like they dont want to do the warranty work. Whats stopping them from lying and saying its not the TCM or they can't find anything wrong at that particular time?. Ahhh. I'll probably end up bringing it in.... Damn.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #30
Focus Addict

Fan#: 141457
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Hatchback Titanium

Points 28,408, Level 99
Points: 28,408, Level: 99 Points: 28,408, Level: 99 Points: 28,408, Level: 99
Level Up 4% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 8 Squad-G Good Standing Member
They won't do warranty work if there's no code in the system. This is how it works at a dealership. The only way they will do the warranty work without really a code is when the car is still under the regular 3 year warranty.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in