Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Exhaust (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/812727-exhaust.html)

Dunlap3 05-06-2019 10:39 AM

Exhaust

So I work at a Ford dealership and one of my buddies upgraded his stock RS exhaust. Due to cost of a full exhaust I haven't had a chance to do this myself. However he said that I could have the RS exhaust if I wanted it. I know that there are a few problems right off the bat. Back bumper cut outs, and the exhaust valve restriction. I have these figured out for the most part. My biggest concern is routing and if it's even possible or worthwhile to do. I figure it's cheaper to have an exhaust shop install this (300) vs buying a new cat back system. (800+)

felixthecat 05-06-2019 10:41 AM

Throw it add them & let them install it while you go have lunch w/ your gf/wife...

pasta 05-06-2019 06:46 PM

2 different cars. Remember the RS is 4wd. Lot of custom work to make it fit.

felixthecat 05-06-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasta (Post 11377629)

Thats where the muffler shop comes in to fab it up to work.....

Dunlap3 05-07-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasta (Post 11377629)

From the muffler I know the hangers are the same and I'm about 80% sure the back 2 or so feet of piping are the same till it gets past the rear wheel. The RS runs all the way up the middle by the drive shaft while others curve around the gas tank. The exhaust shop should be able to make a pipe from the stock catalytic converter to the RS muffler. In theory. I'm curious if it'll even sound good.

Arco-Zakus 06-08-2019 02:42 AM

Your sedan is also about seven inches longer from the rear axle to the end of the back bumper than a hatchback.

Doesn't the RS also have some controls external to the exhaust that switch the level of muffling depending on which mode (nomal, sport, or track, IIRC) is selected? If you want to add that capability to your car (which would be cool to have -- if it sounds OK with your engine) that could get tricky. It would be a shame to let that go to waste after going to the trouble to get everything to fit.

Any idea whether there is much difference in weight?

Dunlap3 06-08-2019 06:19 AM

I haven't taken into account the length difference. Hopefully a exhaust shop will be able to figure it out. Through advice from the techs at work I was able to find the wiring schematic for the exhaust valve. If all goes well putting the exhaust in then. I'll buy a pig tail and wire it up.

Arco-Zakus 06-08-2019 04:29 PM

Nothing is easy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunlap3 (Post 11383901)
... I'll buy a pig tail and wire it up.

... to what?

"Old school" relays and switches will probably be easiest. I doubt you'd be able to get it working over the CAN bus, as I would guess the RS probably does. (Just getting fog lights from an SE to work on an S with the factory light switch stumped dealer techs. I think a FF member figured that out eventually IIRC, but it wasn't easy.)

I, for one, am rooting for you to succeed with this -- but you know this is a "slippery slope".

After all, if it sounds really good, the rest of the car has to look the part, too, right?. Bigger wheels with RS (Brembo) brakes (why do people keep calling them "breaks" -- brakes are the last part of a car anybody wants to break), an aero body kit like on the SS Tuning ST Sedan, etc. $$$ ...

felixthecat 06-09-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus (Post 11384015)
... to what?

"Old school" relays and switches will probably be easiest. I doubt you'd be able to get it working over the CAN bus, as I would guess the RS probably does. (Just getting fog lights from an SE to work on an S with the factory light switch stumped dealer techs. I think a FF member figured that out eventually IIRC, but it wasn't easy.)

I, for one, am rooting for you to succeed with this -- but you know this is a "slippery slope".

After all, if it sounds really good, the rest of the car has to look the part, too, right?. Bigger wheels with RS (Brembo) brakes (why do people keep calling them "breaks" -- brakes are the last part of a car anybody wants to break), an aero body kit like on the SS Tuning ST Sedan, etc. $$$ ...

BBK= big brake kit.......

Dunlap3 06-09-2019 08:51 PM

I wouldn't be able to wire it into the system. That would be impossible. I'd just buy the connector and wire in a power source, and a switch. Sorry for the awkward wording lol.