Realistically how much power am I able to get out of my 14 Focus Titanium Hatch? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 7,351, Level 57
Points: 7,351, Level: 57 Points: 7,351, Level: 57 Points: 7,351, Level: 57
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 86%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%
FF Reputation: 21 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hi! So use this forum to read up on what other mk3 owners have done. I don't even have a mk3 and I know these high compression direct injected engines are capable of quite a bit of power from just a tune, so for $450 I'd concentrate on intake and tune first, exhaust later.

There are plenty of Mk3 owners who have a tune from Tom and they've all said many many positive things about it.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Last edited by mac.mogul; 05-06-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 341434
What I Drive: 2016 Red Titanium

Points 2,579, Level 30
Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30 Points: 2,579, Level: 30
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 AaronG Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Don't listen to the naysayers. The focus is a sporty fun car. You're probably not drag racing so who cares how fast you are compared to other cars? I've been up to 120mph and the car was still pulling ahead. There's some power there.

I have a '16 and I don't think anything mechanical is different. With an ECU update I noticed a much better throttle response time, shifting, and general torque band widening. It cost under $500 and took a small amount of computer tinkering, but I believe it's worth it.

Just as a test I returned the vehicle to stock for a month. Couldn't tune it back to the new ECU program fast enough.

I went with Tom's expertise but there are also other options. Tom charges +/-$500 for the tuning unit and lifetime tunes. https://www.focusfanatics.com/#/userprofile/1123
roswelltop likes this.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83279
What I Drive: 2014 Ruby Red Titanium Hatch

Points 18,620, Level 86
Points: 18,620, Level: 86 Points: 18,620, Level: 86 Points: 18,620, Level: 86
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 roswelltop Good Standing Member
Get Tom’s tune. It becomes a totally different car.
edfocusse13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 410021
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus 5 door Titanium

Points 365, Level 7
Points: 365, Level: 7 Points: 365, Level: 7 Points: 365, Level: 7
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%
FF Reputation: 1 SupraGuy Good Standing Member
So for Aaron and rosweltop: Do you h ave dyno graphs, or are you going on seat of the pants?

Don't get me wrong. I see nothing wrong with wanting the best that you can get from whatever you drive. In my case, I drive the Focus as a fuel efficient commuter. If I want sporty, then I'll go sporty.

I felt that the origina question was a little open ended, and my opening comment was really where it goes. What's your budget? Without that, it's difficult to answer the question.

If I have a couple hundred bucks, then the answer as to what I can do is very different than if I have a professional race team budget.

For a couple hundred, I probably wouldn't bother, until I could look at a tune for he ECU. Cold air intakes and resonator deletes aren't worth my time, since they seldom produce real results on the dyno.

A tune is a good start, because it can be made to work with other updates later as you go.

Forced aspiration is pretty much a standard go-to for increased power. Given the compression ratio of the engine, I don't think I'd want to see more than about +8 PSI manifold, and for that, I'd want to run E85 or at least premium pump fuel.

After that, in bang for the buck, a N2O kit is pretty good. A tach window switch, and a wet-shot of N2O will give you a moment of real kick in the pants for a reltively low dollar cost -- provided that your car is mechanically sound. If your forced aspiration solution was a turbocharger, the N2O shot can be used to spool the turbo faster to widen the torque curve. If you went belt or electric driven supercharger, that's kind of moot.

After that, you'll need to start messing with the engine internals. A thicker metal head gasket can be used to reduce compression ratio, allowing more boost. Forged pistons can also reduce compression ratio, and add a slight overbore for more native displacement. Additional or larger fuel injectors to allow more fuel delivery, since by now you're probably starting to strain the capacity of the stock units. By now you've swapped out the DCT, since a clutch that can handle the torque at this point doesn't seem to exist. You've probably also by now swapped out most of the motor and transmission mounts, and probably supplemented a couple of the chassis mounting points. Hopefully you're also looking at the brakes. Some additional instrumentation will also be needed before you get here, a wide band O2 sensor, manifold pressure gauge, and a datalogger for starters. (I think the Tuning kit comes with data logging.)

By now, you've probably spent more money under the hood than you spent on the car, but you can keep going. I'm sure someone makes or can make a forged stroker kit -- longer throw crank and shorter rods -- to increase native displacement a little more.

So it comes down to "what's your budget." I know that my budget probably tops out pretty close to getting the tune kit, and then only if I'm willing to make other sacrifices. I mean, I saw a Hyundai Accent on the road the other day that probably had $9k in exterior mods alone (No idea what was under the hood, lol. Probably spent a lot of cash there, too though) and probably at least that in the entertainment system.

1990 Toyota Supra turbo
I think the cams are still stock...
Old 05-09-2019, 01:36 AM   #15
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,579, Level 30
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
To respond:

So for Aaron and rosweltop: Do you have dyno graphs, or are you going on seat of the pants?

The software fixes a lot of problems and produces power where/when it's needed rather than being set up for comfort like Ford intended. Tom had me run my laptop connected to the SCT module on the OBD2 and record a bunch of specific types of driving so he could then refine his default focus tune. So no official Dyno... But certainly better than a subjective opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I see nothing wrong with wanting the best that you can get from whatever you drive. In my case, I drive the Focus as a fuel efficient commuter. If I want sporty, then I'll go sporty.

I wanted both.... So I have both.

I felt that the original question was a little open ended, and my opening comment was really where it goes. What's your budget? Without that, it's difficult to answer the question.

If I have a couple hundred bucks, then the answer as to what I can do is very different than if I have a professional race team budget.

That depends on the person. I spent around $50 on a good air filter and use quality oil and filters. I might upgrade the thermostat someday. With the tune I run premium gasoline and notice an unquestionable power difference. Other than those few things I've done nothing performance related. There really isn't much that can be done without changing the nature of the car.

For a couple hundred, I probably wouldn't bother, until I could look at a tune for he ECU. Cold air intakes and resonator deletes aren't worth my time, since they seldom produce real results on the dyno.

I don't believe in the "air box delete" idea and the car already pulls cold air through the stock box. ECU is a big change in power band, throttle response, shift speed, and general sportiness.

A tune is a good start, because it can be made to work with other updates later as you go.

Sure.

Forced aspiration is pretty much a standard go-to for increased power. Given the compression ratio of the engine, I don't think I'd want to see more than about +8 PSI manifold, and for that, I'd want to run E85 or at least premium pump fuel.

Turbo/supercharger? Not worth it. Buy a different car.

After that, in bang for the buck, a N2O kit is pretty good. A tach window switch, and a wet-shot of N2O will give you a moment of real kick in the pants for a reltively low dollar cost -- provided that your car is mechanically sound. If your forced aspiration solution was a turbocharger, the N2O shot can be used to spool the turbo faster to widen the torque curve. If you went belt or electric driven supercharger, that's kind of moot.

This engine will probably blow up with NČO.

After that, you'll need to start messing with the engine internals. A thicker metal head gasket can be used to reduce compression ratio, allowing more boost. Forged pistons can also reduce compression ratio, and add a slight overbore for more native displacement. Additional or larger fuel injectors to allow more fuel delivery, since by now you're probably starting to strain the capacity of the stock units. By now you've swapped out the DCT, since a clutch that can handle the torque at this point doesn't seem to exist. You've probably also by now swapped out most of the motor and transmission mounts, and probably supplemented a couple of the chassis mounting points. Hopefully you're also looking at the brakes. Some additional instrumentation will also be needed before you get here, a wide band O2 sensor, manifold pressure gauge, and a datalogger for starters. (I think the Tuning kit comes with data logging.)

I see what you did there.... Snicker

By now, you've probably spent more money under the hood than you spent on the car, but you can keep going. I'm sure someone makes or can make a forged stroker kit -- longer throw crank and shorter rods -- to increase native displacement a little more.

All of that "fast and the furious" BS is crazy talk.

So it comes down to "what's your budget." I know that my budget probably tops out pretty close to getting the tune kit, and then only if I'm willing to make other sacrifices. I mean, I saw a Hyundai Accent on the road the other day that probably had $9k in exterior mods alone (No idea what was under the hood, lol. Probably spent a lot of cash there, too though) and probably at least that in the entertainment system.

The Focus is a "sporty" economy car that's a best seller all over the world. I wouldn't change the nature of the car trying to upgrade stuff. Save that money for your next car. $550 for the tune and air filter. Quality oil and filters. Actually, quality tires and brake pads are also really important. My stock tires chirp far too often as they're 3 years old now and getting firmer. Customize the tune if needed, but enjoy the car for what it is.

I'm really not looking forward to a clutch job @$1700 for PARTS... But when it happens I'll be going Stage 1 or something better than the stock clutch. Too much slip under torque load.

Hopefully my comments cleared things up.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #16
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 228554
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Titanium hatch

Points 1,313, Level 20
Points: 1,313, Level: 20 Points: 1,313, Level: 20 Points: 1,313, Level: 20
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 scott9050 Good Standing Member
Keep the Titanium stock and get an LS based anything to mod. They are dirt cheap, mods are cheap and plentiful. Being a built Coyote Mustang owner I don't know the meaning of the words "cheap mods".
14 Mustang GT Paxton Supercharged 605 RWHP
Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #17
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 7,351, Level 57
Points: 7,351, Level: 57 Points: 7,351, Level: 57 Points: 7,351, Level: 57
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 86%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%
FF Reputation: 21 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
Being a built Coyote Mustang owner I don't know the meaning of the words "cheap mods".
You also, apparently, don't understand the purpose of this thread.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #18
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 228554
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Titanium hatch

Points 1,313, Level 20
Points: 1,313, Level: 20 Points: 1,313, Level: 20 Points: 1,313, Level: 20
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 scott9050 Good Standing Member
I gave my opinion understanding that the NA 2.0 Focus market and options are limited, especially with the DCT. If that offends, so be it.
14 Mustang GT Paxton Supercharged 605 RWHP
Old 05-10-2019, 02:34 AM   #19
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,579, Level 30
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
If your top budget limit is $450, you get nothing of value. If you can spend a little more, the tune is worth it. Expect to spend $600ish on a tune, air filter, and oil. Then you want grippy tires and quality brake pads if yours aren't ideal. Then, try to shed weight. The only extra power you're going to get at that point is to improve the power to weight ratio.

It's still more important to have power where you need it vs "most" power in specific conditions.

Modern cars can't get huge gains from bolting stuff on like they could 50 years ago.
felixthecat likes this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in