Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Lug nut failed, what now? (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/812525-lug-nut-failed-what-now.html)

soviet911 04-28-2019 01:12 PM

Lug nut failed, what now?

Hey all.

Had an interesting experience today, Went to do my breaks, and the first lug nut I tried to turn, spun through, guess these are the capped nuts and the cap failed...Last people to work on it was my ford dealer so I assume they over-torqued them. Also what size are these suppose to be, the 19mm or 3/4 sockets don't fit without hammering them on, so I used 13/16 which had some but not too much play(didn't have a 20 mm around). I assume these are supposed to be 19 mm right? [facepalm]

Anyway, I need to get new lugnuts that are not trash for this car...any recommendations on brands. Don't need to be anything fancy.

Also, if ford refuses to swap these out for me for free (I plan to give them my new lug nuts, so hope they will do the labor, as I sure bring this car in there a lot!). How do I go about removing the failed or all of the screwed up lug nuts? I guess I can hammer on the 3/4 or 19 mm socket one by one, and see if that will get em off, or get a 20 mm and hope the other ones will come off...

Thanks.

P.S Will these work well? (McGard 64012 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1 )

Heat1 04-28-2019 02:30 PM

Do a google search on defective Ford lug nuts, the capped lug nuts look nice but fail over time. There was a class action lawsuit but it was recently thrown out.

Ford won't replace them for free. You can try, if they do let us know but your car is out of warranty and there's no reason for them to replace them for free. Even if they did replace them for free, why would you want defective lug nuts on your car?

I just got the lug nuts from where I buy my tires, Discount Tire. Amazon has a "does this fit my vehicle" checklist and the ones you linked to are shown as working on my '14 Focus so they should be fine. I don't know which wheels you are using but if you want to switch to black lug nuts for appearance, now would be the time.

Here is a video on the problem, but again the lawsuit was recently thrown out.

soviet911 04-28-2019 02:33 PM

Thanks Heat1, I was planning to have them use the nuts I bought, so just the labor, and no more shitty ford nuts. Not sure if they will do it though, but worth a try. Any recommendation on getting of the screwed up lug nuts?

Heat1 04-28-2019 02:44 PM

That would be dealer specific. As an example my local Ford dealership would refuse to use any part not provided by, or bought from, them. E.g. no key cutting / programming if key wasn't bought from them, etc. But a dealer about 20 miles away does.

In this case it's a stuck lug nut, you don't need the dealer. Take it to a tire shop, they have tricks to get the old lug nut off and can sell you new lug nuts. If the lug bolt get damaged any mechanic can replace it; I think I paid about $100 to have two lug bolts replaced on my '01 PT Cruiser (both were bad on the same wheel).

saintsfins 04-29-2019 09:34 AM

There's a thread here on the shyte lug nuts. I got these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rschaffter 04-29-2019 05:52 PM

I bought these for my 2014 after having the same issue and they have worked fine. No rusting thus far after 2 New England Winters...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JNEBF1M

IrishBrewer 04-30-2019 08:57 AM

To get the damaged lug nut off, assuming you were able to get the cover off, just use the next smaller socket size and remove it. My daughter's Focus had several of the caps missing when we got the car so I ended up removing/replacing them all because not only did they look bad but I didn't want her to have to remove them using 2 different sized sockets in an emergency.

If you have some time for some reading, take a look here.

soviet911 04-30-2019 09:11 AM

Thanks, well I ordered lug nut removing sockets so will try to use those. The caps are still on, but I hope either the lug nut remover will rip them off or it will compress the cap enough to grab the smaller nut to remove it. Looks like most of my lug nuts are like this. Unbelievable...will not be a fun weekend...

Livens 04-30-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soviet911 (Post 11376589)
Thanks, well I ordered lug nut removing sockets so will try to use those. The caps are still on, but I hope either the lug nut remover will rip them off or it will compress the cap enough to grab the smaller nut to remove it. Looks like most of my lug nuts are like this. Unbelievable...will not be a fun weekend...

I had similar issues on my older 2002 Focus, same style jacketed lug nuts. (Ford never learns!) I had to find a deep well socket that was a hair undersized and just hammer that onto the bad lug nuts. I replaced them with cheap lug nuts from Autozone and never looked back.

cheap sleeper 04-30-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soviet911 (Post 11376169)
Hey all.

Had an interesting experience today, Went to do my breaks, and the first lug nut I tried to turn, spun through, guess these are the capped nuts and the cap failed...Last people to work on it was my ford dealer so I assume they over-torqued them. Also what size are these suppose to be, the 19mm or 3/4 sockets don't fit without hammering them on, so I used 13/16 which had some but not too much play(didn't have a 20 mm around). I assume these are supposed to be 19 mm right? [facepalm]

Anyway, I need to get new lugnuts that are not trash for this car...any recommendations on brands. Don't need to be anything fancy.

Also, if ford refuses to swap these out for me for free (I plan to give them my new lug nuts, so hope they will do the labor, as I sure bring this car in there a lot!). How do I go about removing the failed or all of the screwed up lug nuts? I guess I can hammer on the 3/4 or 19 mm socket one by one, and see if that will get em off, or get a 20 mm and hope the other ones will come off...

Thanks.

P.S Will these work well? (McGard 64012 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1 )

With cap, 19mm, not, 3/4".
Without cap, 18mm.
Using a 3/4 usually wouldn't round them, so, you must have used one that is wallered out too much, or you used a bigger size mistakenly.
When the caps come off, they work great as a theft deterrent.

If you only have a 19mm, simply move a loose cap from one lug nut to the other when you need to remove them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using FF Mobile