Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Trade in price for manual S Trim (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/812383-trade-price-manual-s-trim.html)

Mazzman 04-22-2019 09:30 PM

Trade in price for manual S Trim

So I'm looking to buy a truck and went to the ford dealer and for shits and giggles had them appraise my 2016 focus s with a 5 speed.

Car is in great shape, except for the 45K miles on the odometer. Sales manager came back with $4,800 and a few minutes later said he would go to $5K.

The reason being it's a 5 speed and nobody would buy it. And he would probably have to send it to auction. BTW - I've heard that line before from another dealer. (Said they would have to send to auction and the next day the car was for sale on their lot and was sold within 2 days)

I know these car depreciate like crazy, but holy shoot! I was not expecting it to be that low.

felixthecat 04-22-2019 10:26 PM

One major thing it has going for it is its a stick.......

RyanLee036 04-23-2019 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazzman (Post 11375079)
So I'm looking to buy a truck and went to the ford dealer and for shits and giggles had them appraise my 2016 focus s with a 5 speed.

Car is in great shape, except for the 45K miles on the odometer. Sales manager came back with $4,800 and a few minutes later said he would go to $5K.

The reason being it's a 5 speed and nobody would buy it. And he would probably have to send it to auction. BTW - I've heard that line before from another dealer. (Said they would have to send to auction and the next day the car was for sale on their lot and was sold within 2 days)

I know these car depreciate like crazy, but holy shoot! I was not expecting it to be that low.

From my experience so far manual S-trim cars are priced by dealers around $1,000 below the market value. So I'm not surprised. The Ford Focus in general depreciates massively probably thanks to the DCT transmission and the amount of recalls it has

ProjectCommuter 04-23-2019 07:44 AM

I did the same thing recently. I went to look at an F150 and the guy said he could only get me $2K for my car. (2012 SE 5spd 155K miles). He suggested I donate it to the local PD program that provides cars to people in need. I could get full bluebook value as a tax deduction. I laughed. I'll keep my car, it runs great and especially since gas is over $4 around here now!

saintsfins 04-23-2019 08:51 AM

That's the funny thing about sticks. They either fly off the lot quickly, or rot for many months, so dealers don't want to mess with them. It will likely take you longer, but try to sell it yourself.

Mazzman 04-23-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanLee036 (Post 11375115)
From my experience so far manual S-trim cars are priced by dealers around $1,000 below the market value. So I'm not surprised. The Ford Focus in general depreciates massively probably thanks to the DCT transmission and the amount of recalls it has

Yeah. That sounds about right then. I was expecting at least 6K for trade in.

Mazzman 04-23-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectCommuter (Post 11375123)
I did the same thing recently. I went to look at an F150 and the guy said he could only get me $2K for my car. (2012 SE 5spd 155K miles). He suggested I donate it to the local PD program that provides cars to people in need. I could get full bluebook value as a tax deduction. I laughed. I'll keep my car, it runs great and especially since gas is over $4 around here now!

The dealer told me that if I really wanted to trade it in, go to carmax.
I've done it before in the past and carmax did give me a better offer than the dealer.

saintsfins 04-23-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazzman (Post 11375157)
The dealer told me that if I really wanted to trade it in, go to carmax.
I've done it before in the past and carmax did give me a better offer than the dealer.

I can believe that. When I've searched for sticks before, Carmax was usually the only place in town that had a few.

ProjectCommuter 04-23-2019 07:25 PM

My son-in-law totaled his Toyota Matrix. He wants to buy my car now but dang Tom has it running so dang good I am hesitant to sell it!

Although I would get to visit it on the weekends and holidays! [rofl]

Ductape91 04-23-2019 07:43 PM

When i went to the dealer to inquire about the same thing(trade in for truck) they gave me a similar appraisal.
My not even 2 year old car in perfect condition with less than 10k on it wasnt worth 5 grand after appraisal, according to their appraisal source which was neither kbb or the black book and only for dealers as they put it.
Its a scam and thankfully you didnt get suckered by them.