Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Break pad and rotor recommendations for Mk3 SE? (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/812361-break-pad-rotor-recommendations-mk3-se.html)

soviet911 04-21-2019 05:44 PM

Break pad and rotor recommendations for Mk3 SE?
 
Hey all,
Planning to do break pads and rotors on the front of my 2014 SE, and wanted to know which brands you tried/prefer. Do not need anything high performance, just long lasting daily driver pads/rotors ( I used to grab basic brembo rotors and pads for my saab 9-5, not sure if its better to go with ford OE kit, duralast gold? , or the brembo parts?)

Also for those who have done the job your self, besides blue thread-lock for the bolts, anti seize/anti-squeak for the pads do I need anything else (e.g. do any of the clips fail .etc)?

Also any good guides to follow?

Thank you all.

Pokerrun388 04-21-2019 05:56 PM

Iíd be interested to hear the recommendations also, since I have the original pads still on my Ď13 Hatch with 38k miles on them. How much longer before Iíll need pads & whatís the best pad for that car? Obviously brembos are overkill for a 160HP FWD car. This isnít an RS.



Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

Squad-G 04-21-2019 06:40 PM

No clip AFAIK for the MK3. I used anti-seize behind the pad and contact points... silicone grease without petroleum for the slider pins.

felixthecat 04-21-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 (Post 11374871)
Iíd be interested to hear the recommendations also, since I have the original pads still on my Ď13 Hatch with 38k miles on them. How much longer before Iíll need pads & whatís the best pad for that car? Obviously brembos are overkill for a 160HP FWD car. This isnít an RS.



Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

The OP is more then likely talking 'bout the Brembo brand of rotors which are made in China....Best to go w/ a quality brand of rotors & pads. Performance Brakes - Brake Pads, Brake Rotors and Brake Kits....disc italia rotors w/ ceramic pads.....

AdhesiveTeflon 04-22-2019 01:06 AM

Just some vatozone or OEM pads and rotors will be fine for a DD. My OEM rear pads came with a new set of clips so I just used the new ones.

Ductape91 04-22-2019 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soviet911 (Post 11374869)
Hey all,
Planning to do break pads and rotors on the front of my 2014 SE, and wanted to know which brands you tried/prefer. Do not need anything high performance, just long lasting daily driver pads/rotors ( I used to grab basic brembo rotors and pads for my saab 9-5, not sure if its better to go with ford OE kit, duralast gold? , or the brembo parts?)

Also for those who have done the job your self, besides blue thread-lock for the bolts, anti seize/anti-squeak for the pads do I need anything else (e.g. do any of the clips fail .etc)?

Also any good guides to follow?

Thank you all.

Plan on rotors being needed unless you already checked your runout on them.
My brakes and rotors were shot at the same time, just over 30k miles.
You need a 7 or 8mm(i forget the exact size) allen key bit for the caliper bolts.
Replace the slider pins.

Ductape91 04-22-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdhesiveTeflon (Post 11374929)
Just some vatozone or OEM pads and rotors will be fine for a DD. My OEM rear pads came with a new set of clips so I just used the new ones.

I got the cheapest pads at the dealer for my fronts, probably equivalent to the autohole/ripboyz ones, because its a daily driver and it was all they had on the shelf and i needed them asap, and they squeak already after 6500 miles.
These are coming off and im cleaning up my rotors for nice pricey ones when i have the time to do them.

soviet911 04-22-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 11374897)
The OP is more then likely talking 'bout the Brembo brand of rotors which are made in China....Best to go w/ a quality brand of rotors & pads. Performance Brakes - Brake Pads, Brake Rotors and Brake Kits....disc italia rotors w/ ceramic pads.....

Yes, Brombo has a line for OE spec parts, not sure if they are just re-brands though, but sounds by your comment like they are (The ones for SAABs were good quality/price, but this was like ~2010 when I did those...)

For example
Brembo OE spec pads https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...609770_0_16108

and rotors
Brembo OE spec rotors https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...32_367517_2708

I was thinking of just grabbing ford rotors/pads, but the kit is like 180$ around me so not sure if that is the best way to go or not. For this much I could get duramax gold rotors ($150) and pads ($40), but no idea if they are worth it?

@ felixthecat: thanks for the recommendation, but I really am not looking to put performance breaks on this car as it is a DD that sees zero track/hard driving, just something that will last as long or longer then OE pads/rotors.

@ Ductape91: Did you get Ford OEM pads? I assume they sell only one kind for the focus SE? 6500 miles and squeaks sounds pretty bad.

saintsfins 04-22-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soviet911 (Post 11374869)
... do I need anything else (e.g. do any of the clips fail .etc)?

Also any good guides to follow?

Thank you all.

The retaining clip is a little tricky the first time you remove/replace. I didn't save the links, but there are a few good YouTube vids on MK3 front pad jobs.

My original front pads lasted 90K+ miles, so I stuck with Motorcraft. The rotors looked like new, so I didn't touch them. No strange sounds or issues.

AdhesiveTeflon 04-22-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soviet911 (Post 11374965)
Yes, Brombo has a line for OE spec parts, not sure if they are just re-brands though, but sounds by your comment like they are (The ones for SAABs were good quality/price, but this was like ~2010 when I did those...)

For example
Brembo OE spec pads https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...609770_0_16108

and rotors
Brembo OE spec rotors https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...32_367517_2708

Whilst they're still 'Brembo', they're nowhere close to something you find on their motorsports kit or even their "GT" kit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.