Oil on spark plug #4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 59607
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Hatchback SE

Points 261, Level 5
Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 VTEK1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oil on spark plug #4

115k Mk3, just changed from motorcraft to denso, was told I should change back (which I am skeptical about) but decrease MPG has made me think about it. Also it's been winter here in New England, so lots of variables. BUT!....back to the oil on plug 4, noticed plug 1 was very dry/hot. Only about 10k miles or less on these plugs. It's a 2014 Mk3, pretty much bone stock with the exception of K&N filter, and some enclosed sub woofer, (Like I said very bone stock), daily driver, highway 95%. Wondering if I should send it to dealer and let extended warranty (3rd party) take care of possible piston ring, cylinder work. Noticing anti-freeze has been slowly going down from max to min over 4 months......so then I got suspicious of head gasket.....what do you guys/gals, think? Could be as easy as $100 deductible; and a new motor. They (dealership) had to change transmission (automatic) back last year along with a new trans computer.....It's wee bit of nightmare with this focus and I but it's still running and still gets me to work very reliably (knock on wood). Anyways, thanks for at least reading this whole post, I would appreciate the input on both the spark plug situation (brand wise) and the oil on spark plug, and loss of antifreeze.

PS. Searched forum for this topic and many other keywords relating. Please be nice to me, I'm honestly trying to do this as solo as possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 409817
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatch

Points 156, Level 3
Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 1 Smalls89 Good Standing Member
If you have an inclusive ex warranty, screw it and let them do it, you paid extra for it, use it

As far as the coolant, I've been reading the water pump is prone to having issues, I need to check mine out as it's doing the same... You might want to have that one done on warranty as it involves the timing belt thus tearing out 1/3 of the engine
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 278401
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 5spd

Points 3,756, Level 38
Points: 3,756, Level: 38 Points: 3,756, Level: 38 Points: 3,756, Level: 38
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 1 saintsfins Good Standing Member
With all that, I'd probably spend the $100 deductible to get it looked at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 403755
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE Hatchback

Points 104, Level 2
Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 allanh Good Standing Member
Able to do a compression check on your own? Where's the oil on the plug?

Sent from my SM-G960U using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in