Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Navigation Update (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/811875-navigation-update.html)

raptor1956 03-31-2019 10:21 PM

Navigation Update

I've received a couple notices from Ford about updates to the Navigation software/database but see no need to pay over $100 for the update when the current map, now about 6 years old, works just fine and if I need more accurate or up-to-date navigation google maps on my phone is always there and free -- not counting the Verizon bill.

But, when I had my 2012 FF Ti HB in a couple weeks ago for a few recalls they lent me a Ford Edge which had navigation but the screens and maps looked totally different. I wonder is that difference down to the difference in the car or is the navigation software/database. What struck me about the maps on the Edge was that it was pretty washed out with many details pretty hard to see -- I guess someone could have changed a setting somewhere and I didn't really look into it at the time.

So, to anyone that has updated the navigation software/database later than about late 2013 has the look-and-feel changed or have they simply updated the database?

Brian

Squad-G 04-01-2019 07:40 AM

The 2012 has Ford Sync 2 and the 2016+ have the Sync 3 which is a complete different system and not compatible unless you change all the parts in your car ($$$$). The update proposed to you was probably a new SD card (A9 I think the are at now or something like that).

raptor1956 04-03-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squad-G (Post 11371167)
The 2012 has Ford Sync 2 and the 2016+ have the Sync 3 which is a complete different system and not compatible unless you change all the parts in your car ($$$$). The update proposed to you was probably a new SD card (A9 I think the are at now or something like that).

Yeah, I'm aware of the newer hardware and incompatibility with the older hardware. I wasn't asking about updating the hardware but what the software/database update they are offering provides. I mentioned in particular the significantly different looks and feel on the Edge I was given and wondered if the updated software/database changes the looks and feel.

Brian

Squad-G 04-03-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor1956 (Post 11371579)
Yeah, I'm aware of the newer hardware and incompatibility with the older hardware. I wasn't asking about updating the hardware but what the software/database update they are offering provides. I mentioned in particular the significantly different looks and feel on the Edge I was given and wondered if the updated software/database changes the looks and feel.

Brian

The look and feel won't change.

The map design stays the same but with up-to-date data.

Smalls89 04-03-2019 04:51 PM

They may be reaching to you for the update because of the week number problem with older gps systems. If it is affected by this then the GPS will either be wrong (as in showing you to be somewhere completely different) or crash

Smalls89 04-03-2019 04:52 PM

Btw the week number problem should be a problem April 6 I think