Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Opinions on MT? (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/811407-opinions-mt.html)

CarlManCity 03-17-2019 08:51 PM

Opinions on MT?

Hi, I haven't visited the forum in quite some time, last time being when I was repairing my 2000. My 2000 has pretty much had it now with the rust and I was thinking of finding a nice condition 1st Gen to replace it since it was such a great car. Have to admit though, I quite like the look of the MK3, 2012+. I am however just now finding out about the Powershift/DCT transmission issues. I've been reading a lot about it, trying to familiarize myself with the problems. Concerning the manual transmission though, I don't seem to see much info on it - good or bad - and it's no wonder as in my general searching so far, the overwhelming majority of cars for sale seem to be automatics. So I just wanted to ask - how's the manual transmission? Is it pretty much problem free and reliable? Or is there anything problematic about it? Any general opinions? Thanks all.

leftyclick 03-17-2019 09:14 PM

I have a 2012 5-speed that I bought new and it has been very reliable. Iím at 218k miles and still drive it daily with absolutely no trans related problems. Itís had one fluid change and is on the original clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

Pokerrun388 03-17-2019 10:16 PM

Opinions on MT?

I have a Ď13 Titanium Hatch w/ the DCT. It is what it is, a manual trans. electronically controlled by a computer. The shifting points are odd, however I still think itís better vs. daily driving a 5 spd. manual.

You can find 2012-2014 Focus SE manuals but youíll have to expand your search as most will be DCTís. Go test drive a local DCT, you might be okay with it. The Focus offers a lot for the low price points. Iím seeing 2016-2018 SEL & Titaniumís priced as low as $14-15k., which is a steal considering the amount of options those two cars have & theyíll both get 30+mpg.

ProjectCommuter 03-17-2019 10:27 PM

2012 5 speed. Tranny Oil changes every 60K, original clutch, no problems. 155K on the clock.

IrishBrewer 03-18-2019 08:12 AM

I have two 2012s, one with the DCT and another with the 5-speed MT. The MT wins hands down. Great car to drive and so far no problems. The clutch on my DCT has been replaced 3 times and there are probably more in its future. I would estimate a new one every couple of years.

felixthecat 03-18-2019 09:11 AM

Best off looking for a stick.....mtx75= you can't beat that vs a dct.

jwolf312 03-18-2019 10:24 AM

The 5-speed is the MTX-75 which is a beefy transmission. It's used in the SVT Contour so a Focus is not pushing it hard at all. You don't see a lot about it here because it doesn't really have any problems. The gear ratios felt weird to me at first coming from an Integra 5-speed but I've adapted. On the highway you have to drop into 3rd to get any real passing power since 4th and 5th are both overdrive gears.

saintsfins 03-18-2019 01:09 PM

110K+ miles on the original clutch and fluid. No problems and it's fun to drive.

CarlManCity 03-18-2019 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the info everyone. It's certainly reassuring to me, especially after coming across all that negative info on the DCT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokerrun388 (Post 11368137)
I have a Ď13 Titanium Hatch w/ the DCT. It is what it is, a manual trans. electronically controlled by a computer. The shifting points are odd, however I still think itís better vs. daily driving a 5 spd. manual.

You can find 2012-2014 Focus SE manuals but youíll have to expand your search as most will be DCTís. Go test drive a local DCT, you might be okay with it. The Focus offers a lot for the low price points. Iím seeing 2016-2018 SEL & Titaniumís priced as low as $14-15k., which is a steal considering the amount of options those two cars have & theyíll both get 30+mpg.

You're not kidding...I just came across a very nice all black 2015 SE sedan, 50K, loaded with EVERYTHING, under $14K. I initially thought I'd stay away from that 2015+ Aston Martin-like front facia (hence was looking at 2012-14), but it actually looks pretty good, especially in all black.

c5karl 03-18-2019 01:49 PM

A little late to the party, but chiming in with another endorsement of the MTX-75. I have owned 3 Fords with that transmission, including an '01 Cougar with the 2.5L Duratec V6. I put 250,000 miles on the Cougar (and then sold it to my nephew for $1, and he put another 25k on it). It didn't need a clutch replacement until about 180,000 miles. By about 210k or so, the 3rd gear synchro started failing. The trannys in the other two cars (with much less mileage) were completely trouble free.

If you don't abuse it, the MTX-75 in the Focus will give you many years of trouble-free miles.