Key fob programming with only one key - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 339178
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2003 Cent. Sedan

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 48%
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%
FF Reputation: 3 IrishBrewer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Key fob programming with only one key

I recently bought a second 2012 hatchback and like the first, this one only came with a single key. This is a bad thing because while you can get aftermarket key fob blanks, you need two of them to program them yourself. With my first Focus, I bit the bullet and had them cut and program a key that I bought off of eBay and it was over a hundred bucks for this service. The dealer I used also screwed up the key cut such that near the tip the cut goes all the way through the key so it looks like the forked tongue of a snake and it is rather sharp at the tip. It is still functional but it's not something that is real nice to have in your pocket.

Going through this a second time I thought I would seek out another alternative. Again I purchased some key fobs off of ebay to the tune of $10 each. This time I went to another dealer to have them cut but not programmed This dealer charged $10 each and the cuts came out perfect. I was also able to watch the neat little computer controlled milling machine do the work. It is so automated that I still can't figure out how the other dealer managed to screw it up the last time.

You only need a single key to program the new keys for the door locking/unlocking features on the fobs so that part was pretty easy. After doing that, the last thing to accomplish is programming the new fobs to work in the ignition. I found a key programming device used by locksmiths that you can find on Amazon or eBay. It is called a CK100 key programmer and it plugs into your OBD2 connector. The device is make/model independent and it works on a whole host of vehicles and model years. The listings usually have a list of vehicles to check against the vehicle(s) you are interested in. This tool was just over $100 so right about the same price the dealer charged me to program a single key the last time. It is pretty easy to use. You just plug it into the OBD2 port and follow the on-screen instructions and it worked flawlessly. So, I am planning on making some flip style key fobs to replace the screwed up ones on my other Focus and then I may just sell the programmer. Until then, if anyone is in the Central PA area and is stuck with a single key fob, let me know and I can help you out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 98931
What I Drive: 2017 RS, 2012 MTX Hatch

Points 2,440, Level 29
Points: 2,440, Level: 29 Points: 2,440, Level: 29 Points: 2,440, Level: 29
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 4 Gi_Jo_Nathan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Interesting. I've read you can also program it through either Focccus or Forscan.
HATCH NATION #77
12 SE HB MTX, Focus-Power Tuned, Green Filter, custom 2.5" cat-back w/Borla, Steeda Short Shift Bracket, JBR RSB & Solid Shift Housing Bushing's, NTC Shifter Bushing, MS3 RMM w/Corksport Inserts
Old 12-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 732, Level 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 48%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi_Jo_Nathan View Post
Interesting. I've read you can also program it through either Focccus or Forscan.
I've used Forscan to program keys for my other daughter's MK1. Unfortunately it can't handle the MK3 generation keys. Not sure about MK2.

For the MK1 keys, that was a nice option to have as the modified scanner that you need to do this is only about $20. Going this route, you can also verify that the new keys are valid for programming prior to doing so. This is important because you have to delete ALL of the keys prior to adding them all back, including any original keys and you have to add back at least two. So, if you only had one good key and the new ones aren't valid you would risk bricking your car in the process. So, if you go this route to program your MK1 keys, make sure to do the key verification. The procedure is quite a bit more involved than using the CK100 so make sure to download the guides on the Forscan forum prior to attempting it.

UPDATE: According to the key programming guide for Forscan, it works for PATS security keys up to a model year of about 2011 although some people in the thread reported being able to program newer F150 keys so YMMV.

Last edited by IrishBrewer; 12-26-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 732, Level 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 48%
New flip keys

Got a couple of flip keys cut and programmed today. These are very nice keys and a big step up from the stabby OEM keys. Found the blanks for $18 each then had them cut at my dealer for $10 each. Next I programmed the wireless transmitters for the doors/trunk/panic button function and used the key programmer to add them to the car such that they would start it. Everything works perfectly. To get something comparable from the dealer would be $200 if not more.

Key fob programming with only one key-focusflipkey1.jpg

Key fob programming with only one key-focusflipkey2.jpg
Old 01-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,440, Level 29
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Nice!
I did a different one last year and it wouldn't work sometimes. So I quit using it.
Will have to check back at some point to see if they are still working well. Got a link to the ones you have?
HATCH NATION #77
12 SE HB MTX, Focus-Power Tuned, Green Filter, custom 2.5" cat-back w/Borla, Steeda Short Shift Bracket, JBR RSB & Solid Shift Housing Bushing's, NTC Shifter Bushing, MS3 RMM w/Corksport Inserts
Old 01-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 732, Level 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 48%
For compatibility, you need to make sure the key transmitter is at the correct frequency, the immobilizer chip is the correct one and lastly that the key blade is the right type based on your OEM key. This is a 315Mhz transmitter, 80-bit chip (4D63) and the laser style blade (HU101). Here is a link Nice touch with these keys is that they came with the Ford emblems making them look stock. They took about 2 weeks to arrive.

Last edited by IrishBrewer; 01-09-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,440, Level 29
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
For compatibility, you need to make sure the key transmitter is at the correct frequency, the immobilizer chip is the correct one and lastly that the key blade is the right type based on your OEM key. This is a 315Mhz transmitter, 80-bit chip (4K63) and the laser style blade (HU101). Here is a link. Nice touch with these keys is that they came with the Ford emblems making them look stock.
Gotcha. Yeah the one I had worked at first. But then randomly wouldn't open the doors sometimes. Would always start the car though. It was weird.
HATCH NATION #77
Old 01-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 732, Level 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 48%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi_Jo_Nathan View Post
Gotcha. Yeah the one I had worked at first. But then randomly wouldn't open the doors sometimes. Would always start the car though. It was weird.
So far, so good for me. Only been using it a couple days but the transmitter works at least as good as my OEM key if not better because I may need a new battery in my original key.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,440, Level 29
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
So far, so good for me. Only been using it a couple days but the transmitter works at least as good as my OEM key if not better because I may need a new battery in my original key.
Good to know. The one I had was like the VW ones. This one looks better.
HATCH NATION #77

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in