Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK3 Focus (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/)
-   -   Cost for Fuel Pump Replacement? (https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/809145-cost-fuel-pump-replacement.html)

FordNewbieGirl 12-20-2018 12:07 PM

Cost for Fuel Pump Replacement?

Does anyone know the approximate cost to replacement a fuel pump on a 2014 Focus se?

Shade-010 12-20-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordNewbieGirl (Post 11350667)
Does anyone know the approximate cost to replacement a fuel pump on a 2014 Focus se?

Depends on where you go, out of warranty?

owner: Rebel Devil Customs
Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

FordNewbieGirl 12-20-2018 12:18 PM

Out of warranty. Going to the dealer.

IrishBrewer 12-20-2018 02:21 PM

Is it the one with the GDI (Gas Direct Injection) engine? I think that this would be the most common. The part for that is pretty expensive - almost $400 at RockAuto and probably a good bit more at the dealer. I would guess about an hour of labor to replace it but check with the dealer. I believe there is also a lower pressure fuel pump with a level sender in the tank as well.

What kind of symptoms are you having? Engine bogging down due to low fuel pressure? Throwing any diagnostic codes?

wavsine 12-20-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordNewbieGirl (Post 11350667)

Which one? The high pressure or the low pressure pump?

Are you sure your pump is bad? What are the symptoms?

The low pressure pump sits inside the fuel tank and requires the tank to be dropped so the labor charge is not insignificant. The fuel filter is an integral part of the pump assembly.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee where the electric pump got stuck and would no longer spin. I learned of a trick where you take a rubber mallet and give the bottom of the fuel tank a good smack and the pump started spinning again.

Never let the car get low on gas as the fuel lubricates the pump and keeps it from overheating.

FordNewbieGirl 01-02-2019 08:28 AM

Thought I'd update on this. I was having problems with the gas gauge dropping to E and then bouncing back while driving once the gauge hit the 5/8 full mark. The check engine light kicked on once, but quickly went off. Had to constantly fill the gas tank to keep it from happening. Thought it might be related to the canister purge valve recall because a couple weeks before the recall we had to have that part replaced, but no such luck.

Turned out to be the fuel sending unit, so that and the fuel pump needed to be replaced. I looked up the cost for each of those (not realizing it was one unit) and saw up to $1000, so when it came in at $540, I was happy.

They also performed the computer update for the recall. I need to see if I can get a refund for the $210 I paid to have the evap purge valve solenoid replaced. Do you think I should contact the local dealer for a refund, or the main Ford number?

Squad-G 01-02-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordNewbieGirl (Post 11352967)
Thought I'd update on this. I was having problems with the gas gauge dropping to E and then bouncing back while driving once the gauge hit the 5/8 full mark. The check engine light kicked on once, but quickly went off. Had to constantly fill the gas tank to keep it from happening. Thought it might be related to the canister purge valve recall because a couple weeks before the recall we had to have that part replaced, but no such luck.

Turned out to be the fuel sending unit, so that and the fuel pump needed to be replaced. I looked up the cost for each of those (not realizing it was one unit) and saw up to $1000, so when it came in at $540, I was happy.

They also performed the computer update for the recall. I need to see if I can get a refund for the $210 I paid to have the evap purge valve solenoid replaced. Do you think I should contact the local dealer for a refund, or the main Ford number?

You need to go to the dealer for the refund. They'll open a case with Ford for you and they will issue a refund.