All things DCT: what it is, why it's still broken in 2018 models, and ways to "fix" it. - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #11
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 351506
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE

Points 41, Level 1
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus_Hack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
All things DCT: what it is, why it's still broken in 2018 models, and ways to "fix" it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
I think that the big problem with Ford's approach to this issue is that they do not seem to be using an effective feedback loop from the technicians doing the work on these transmissions to the engineers trying to come up with a lasting fix. There were some iterations to the 14M01 repair procedure that resulted in some changes to the TCM programming and presumably better seals but all three of the ones I've had done were using the exact same repair parts and maybe even the same shifting strategy. So this makes me wonder if the technicians are providing information back to the engineers as to whether the clutch was contaminated with oil indicative of a continuing failure of the seals or the clutch being burnt/glazed meaning that there is something wrong with the shifting software...

So, the extended warranty ran out on my DCT and I had the shudder come back (even while running Tom's tune). So, I thought I would try a transmission adaptive relearn using Forscan to see if I could possibly "go it alone" in doing a clutch replacement (which I thought was not possible before I knew Forscan had this capability). To be clear, this was just kind of a trial run as I did not replace any parts, I just performed the relearn. It takes all of about 15 minutes to do if you have everything you need and you've done your homework on the procedure. So, here's the kicker - after going back to the stock tune and doing the relearn but nothing else, the shudder went away and it is still pretty much gone to this day. This leads me to believe that for some of us, the cause for the shudder is that the clutch touch points get out of whack (to use a technical term) over time and this can result in the shudder. I'm waiting to see if I start to experience a significant shudder once again to see of another relearn to fix the problem once again. If so, it seems reasonable that the adaptive learning that these TCMs do to adjust to our driving style is flawed but the good news is that if that is the case, the system could "reset" itself kind of like a computer reboot to basically fix the problem for those experiencing this problem. Because the vehicle could be programmed to do this itself in some manner, this would be virtually a no-cost solution for Ford.

What would be great is for others in this forum who are having shudder issues give this a try and report back on their success or failure. I'm just one data point so this is still pretty anecdotal. However, I am encouraged by the fact that since I did not replace any parts and I experienced a remedy that worked for me, this suggests that a programming based fix (i.e., a tune) is a possibility. We know from Tom that his tune has worked for many and this may just be another approach for those that it hasn't worked for 100%. I think Ford would be wise to look at both aspects and not focus so much on replacing hard parts. They are the only ones with the mechanisms for coming up with a comprehensive solution to the problem.

On our second clutch replacement on our 2014, we received a reflash I think of both the TCM and PCM. (canít recall). The performance of both the motor and transmission softened dramatically. What used to be a responsive throttle and quick shifting car now was completely lethargic. I asked the dealer to flash back and said they are not allowed by policy. We have since had that clutch go out and our third replacement at 80k (fourth clutch if you include factory). I asked if there was a PCM or TCM update available and was told it has the latest. Hate the lack of crispness the car had when we bought her new. Iím sure that latest calibration is intentionally softer as some engineer thinks it will prolong clutch life. I did the relearn two years ago which only resulted in a temporary small improvement really only bring it back to what this latest calibration is. Nowhere close to the original calibration (sorry donít have those values). Anyone else lost performance with the latest? Would have to have been on one of the older calibrations 2014 or earlier?

Last edited by Focus_Hack; 07-26-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89988
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Sterling Grey

Points 1,859, Level 25
Points: 1,859, Level: 25 Points: 1,859, Level: 25 Points: 1,859, Level: 25
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 2 vegachicago Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Hack View Post
On our second clutch replacement on our 2014, we received a reflash I think of both the TCM and PCM. (canít recall). The performance of both the motor and transmission softened dramatically. What used to be a responsive throttle and quick shifting car now was completely lethargic. I asked the dealer to flash back and said they are not allowed by policy. We have since had that clutch go out and our third replacement at 80k (fourth clutch if you include factory). I asked if there was a PCM or TCM update available and was told it has the latest. Hate the lack of crispness the car had when we bought her new. Iím sure that latest calibration is intentionally softer as some engineer thinks it will prolong clutch life. I did the relearn two years ago which only resulted in a temporary small improvement really only bring it back to what this latest calibration is. Nowhere close to the original calibration (sorry donít have those values). Anyone else lost performance with the latest? Would have to have been on one of the older calibrations 2014 or earlier?
Yep, I agree. Although I've had two replacements I remember thinking how much more responsive the trans used to be. I must say this last one has been OK but the shudder thing did return. I reset the TCM via this crazy youtube video and its been fine. Smooth but lethargic for sure.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #13
__________/\__

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: '16 Camaro RS '13 SE Hatch TOTALED

Points 159,652, Level 100
Points: 159,652, Level: 100 Points: 159,652, Level: 100 Points: 159,652, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 34 wavsine Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczrider View Post
The majority of DCT owners are on their original clutches, do not experience "shudder", and are very happy with their cars.
I raised an eyebrow on that statement. Where do you get that data from? Only Ford would know how many cars have had clutch pack replacements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 980, Level 16
Points: 980, Level: 16 Points: 980, Level: 16 Points: 980, Level: 16
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
I raised an eyebrow on that statement. Where do you get that data from? Only Ford would know how many cars have had clutch pack replacements.
Well, I posted this what, 8 months ago? Certainly before the Detroit Free Press article (at which point it became painfully obvious how widespread the issue is)

You're not wrong, I didn't/don't know. I made that comment based on the prevalence of online complaints (via various forums) and a couple of conversations with a friend of a friend who's a tech at a larger dealership. Before the FP article, it's the best I could do. I don't really think it's true anymore, though.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #15
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 389770
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Focusrunner375 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegachicago View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Hack View Post
On our second clutch replacement on our 2014, we received a reflash I think of both the TCM and PCM. (can’t recall). The performance of both the motor and transmission softened dramatically. What used to be a responsive throttle and quick shifting car now was completely lethargic. I asked the dealer to flash back and said they are not allowed by policy. We have since had that clutch go out and our third replacement at 80k (fourth clutch if you include factory). I asked if there was a PCM or TCM update available and was told it has the latest. Hate the lack of crispness the car had when we bought her new. I’m sure that latest calibration is intentionally softer as some engineer thinks it will prolong clutch life. I did the relearn two years ago which only resulted in a temporary small improvement really only bring it back to what this latest calibration is. Nowhere close to the original calibration (sorry don’t have those values). Anyone else lost performance with the latest? Would have to have been on one of the older calibrations 2014 or earlier?
Yep, I agree. Although I've had two replacements I remember thinking how much more responsive the trans used to be. I must say this last one has been OK but the shudder thing did return. I reset the TCM via this crazy youtube video and its been fine. Smooth but lethargic for sure.
Press the right pedal down more.

The DCT has different “modes” based on driver input. If you press the throttle down more, the transmission will shift more crisply. If you use less throttle, it will delay the shift to ensure proper rpm matching between gears on acceleration and deceleration.

Last edited by Focusrunner375; 07-29-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #16
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 414557
Points 19, Level 1
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 1 cheese_PETE Good Standing Member
I am looking at buying a 2012 Focus Titanium with the DCT 6spd. It has had one trans replacement, should I be worried about the DCT or should I go for it. I will do a test drive. How hard/expensive is a swap to a 5spd manual?
Old 07-30-2019, 05:52 AM   #17
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 336401
What I Drive: 2010 Focus S 5spd (sold May 2019)

Points 307, Level 6
Points: 307, Level: 6 Points: 307, Level: 6 Points: 307, Level: 6
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 2 RyanLee036 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_PETE View Post
I am looking at buying a 2012 Focus Titanium with the DCT 6spd. It has had one trans replacement, should I be worried about the DCT or should I go for it. I will do a test drive. How hard/expensive is a swap to a 5spd manual?
Please take a read at all the forum threads so far. Read that article from Detroit Free Press. In summary AVOID the DCT. Plenty of cars with automatics you can buy. Or choose the Focus with a 1.0L engine paired with a traditional torque-converter automatic. If you really want to stick with Ford and a sedan as well, get a Fusion.

Last edited by RyanLee036; 07-30-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #18
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 980, Level 16
Points: 980, Level: 16 Points: 980, Level: 16 Points: 980, Level: 16
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_PETE View Post
I'll echo what was said above: do not buy this car. If it's had one DPS6 clutch pack replacement, it absolutely will need another...and another...and another.

The DPS6 is flawed, end of story. If you're here and can see thread after thread of complaints - and the Detroit Free Press articles - it's not just a gamble to buy a Focus with the DPS6, it's plain stupid.

The few folks on here who have done 5sp swaps haven't shared their cost, but you can count on at least $3500-4000 (and I wouldn't be surprised if it's more). Furthermore, it's a hack of a job at best.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #19
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 410021
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus 5 door Titanium

Points 381, Level 7
Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7 Points: 381, Level: 7
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 SupraGuy Good Standing Member
One more voice for the chorus.

Had I read what's here before my purchase, I wouldn't have bought my Focus. Period. My car is a 2012 Titanium, so much like your potential car, but had not (so far as I know) had the DCT replaced. In the first 6 weeks I owned it, it needed the clutches replaced, TCM replaced, clutch forks replaced (NOT covered under 14M01) and the shaft seals replaced. I've also had other issues, and I think that the APIM needs something, too, because there's weirdness with the park sensors and the backup camera, which I haven't had serviced, annoying though it is.

During the first 6 weeks, I put more mileage on service loaners than I put on my car. I drove it to the dealership for service more often than I drove it to the gas station. Edit: And I don't count having it towed to the dealsership as "drove"

1990 Toyota Supra turbo
I think the cams are still stock...
Old 08-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #20
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 295361
What I Drive: 2012 Red Titanium hatchback

Points 23, Level 1
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 deestop Good Standing Member
Are the cost estimates factual ?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in