Improved grounding fixes DCT shudder? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 184985
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE hatchback in Ruby Red

Points 994, Level 16
Points: 994, Level: 16 Points: 994, Level: 16 Points: 994, Level: 16
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 3 rczrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Improved grounding fixes DCT shudder?

I did a search and didn't find a thread that mentions better ground contact, but if I missed it, I apologize.

I try not to rely on one forum for everything and was poking around the Ford Focus subreddit and came across these threads:

DCT shudder mitigation.
2015 SE shudder disappeared temporarily

The idea seems to be that the grounding design is flawed, providing insufficient contact due to the ground point being painted and so contact is only using the bolt. This could cause signal problems for the TCM, producing the shudder when it has no idea what to do, and potentially damaging it over time (and part of the reason the TCM is being replaced so often). Side note: this grounding issue seems to be the cause to some intermittent A/C issues folks have experienced.

The solution is to sand off the paint at the contact point and use some dielectric grease for good measure. The video below provides a demonstration (I've skipped ahead to the demo). In the comments, someone mentioned not sanding off the paint to reduce corrosion, but to add a serrated lock washer to the grease, thereby increasing contact with minimal damage.

Thoughts? There isn't a whole lot of feedback, but of what feedback there is, it's positive. I will say here what I said on reddit: I'm skeptical for the same reason I'm skeptical of Tom's tune. If it's really this easy, I have a hard time reconciling the fact that Ford engineers have completely missed it.

But hey, this "fix" is dirt cheap and shouldn't hurt anything.

EDIT: fun fact, the YouTube video was done by FordTechMakuloco, who is makuloco2000 on here and the OP of the 2012+ Transmission Shudder Issue Explained thread. The video above was made before he created the thread and as far as I can tell, he never references the video in that thread. Not sure why, but he hasn't been active since April of 2015.

Last edited by rczrider; 11-01-2018 at 02:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 290426
What I Drive: 2014, Race Red, SE HB

Points 59, Level 1
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 93Cobra#2771 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Interesting. Would definitely cause some issues, but Iím doubtful itís the core issue. The shrudder is way to consistent to be a sporadic grounding issue.

With that being said, Iíll perform the mod and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 11-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 382441
What I Drive: 2016 Focus SE Sport Package

Points 9, Level 1
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 kaigryn Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Cobra#2771 View Post
Interesting. Would definitely cause some issues, but Iím doubtful itís the core issue. The shrudder is way to consistent to be a sporadic grounding issue.

With that being said, Iíll perform the mod and report back.

I'm looking forward to this update, as I would potentially be interested in what comes of this!:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 994, Level 16
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 37%
Quote:
Interesting. Would definitely cause some issues, but I’m doubtful it’s the core issue. The shrudder is way to consistent to be a sporadic grounding issue.
Agreed...but there is a fair amount of feedback (mostly from Fiesta owners, but certainly some Focus owners, too) indicating that it "fixed" their shudder. Perhaps the poor grounding just compounded the overarching issue (poor design in general), but if it extends the life the DCT at all, it's worth doing.

Quote:
With that being said, I’ll perform the mod and report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigryn View Post
I'm looking forward to this update, as I would potentially be interested in what comes of this!:)
I'll be performing the mod on mine tomorrow, but since Ford just replaced my clutch about 1400 miles ago at 48k and the shudder isn't present (yet), there's no way to know if it did anything. I was also planning on using FORscan to enable Sport mode and start using that as it should minimize shifts, so that would skew the results, anyway.

That said, my sister-in-law has an early 2014 that is extremely bad and I'm going to do this on hers sometime soon. Might be a couple of weeks, but I'll report back on it, as well.

Last edited by rczrider; 11-01-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 300666
What I Drive: 2015 Focus SE Auto

Points 2,188, Level 28
Points: 2,188, Level: 28 Points: 2,188, Level: 28 Points: 2,188, Level: 28
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 iceflow Good Standing Member
I'll give it a try what the heck. I may have missed it, but is there a link to a pic that shows where the ground frame bolt is. I'll report back if it improves things, basically I think this has to go down as one of the worst auto designs of the century so far. It should never have been brought to market but I assume Ford were contractually committed to taking this crap? It's done enough to put me off American cars now and for the remainder of my driving life.
Chevy Camaro 1976 - One Owner - Wonderful vehicle, many years left I hope, still running.
Buick Rainier 2005 - POS, currently dead in the garage awaiting replacement ECM after it died and car came to a stop, only has 67K miles on it. Will be sold as soon as I have it up and running.
Ford Focus 2015 - Did someone mention ...DCT? This vehicle will also be gone within 12 months max. Replacement will only be Japanese and built in Japan, and I'm someone who has always liked Yankee Iron going back as far as the 50's. The quality is just not there at the moment, hopefully it will change.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 6,528, Level 52
Points: 6,528, Level: 52 Points: 6,528, Level: 52 Points: 6,528, Level: 52
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 19 PratoN Great Standing Member
I had this fix done shortly after the TSB came out. I think it helped temporarily just due to the fact that it's unhooking the battery and the TCM has to re-learn the shift strategy. My shudder eventually came back. It's probably still a worthwhile fix if the grounding actually is poor.
nyuk98gt and zenboy99 like this.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 994, Level 16
Level Up 94% Completed
Forum Activity 37%
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I had this fix done shortly after the TSB came out. I think it helped temporarily just due to the fact that it's unhooking the battery and the TCM has to re-learn the shift strategy. My shudder eventually came back. It's probably still a worthwhile fix if the grounding actually is poor.
When you did it, was the original clutch pack and TCM? Do you still have your Focus and if so, which revision of clutch/seals are you on, and how recently was your TCM replaced?

What you're saying about having the TCM re-learn - and therefore reduces shudder - makes sense, and certainly rings true given my doubt that this could possibly be the fix...but if the theory is correct and if your TCM was already damaged and if the latest clutch pack assembly and seals revision actually fixed an issue, maybe this could work for folks?

That's a lot of ifs and it's not just wishful thinking on my part or anything, I'm just trying to work through the variables.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 100,424, Level 100
Points: 100,424, Level: 100 Points: 100,424, Level: 100 Points: 100,424, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 160 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Exactly !

Tom
Drovira14 and Zlothra like this.
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 343785
What I Drive: 14 Focus TIVCT (MK3 ZS Inspired)

Points 9,599, Level 65
Points: 9,599, Level: 65 Points: 9,599, Level: 65 Points: 9,599, Level: 65
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Drovira14 Good Standing Member
Tune

IG: @focus_mk3_rovira
Old 11-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 290426
What I Drive: 2014, Race Red, SE HB

Points 59, Level 1
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 93Cobra#2771 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Exactly !

Tom

About half way through unbolting the ground, it occurred to me that we were simply clearing out the adaptive memory by doing this lol.

Did it anyway.

The bolt is a fine thread, and itís meant for maximum contact by being so. It has some. Type of coating on it as well.

Prob will make a bit of a difference until adaptive rears itís ugly head again.

FFhb13 likes this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in